The best argument..

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by SnakeLord, Jan 31, 2008.

1. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Purely out of interest it is worth asking what each person thinks is the best single argument for the existence of a god. What do you think is the strongest argument in favour?

Same applies to the atheists here. If there was one argument that, ok didn't convince you, but you at least thought was a relatively decent argument, what is it?

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

"The idea makes me feel all warm and fuzzy" is about the best I can come up with.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The best argument is I talk to Him and He talks to me. I cannot deny your personal experience, (although it isn't very convincing to others).

8. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

The best argument is that if God exists he will continue existing even if you believe otherwise. And is God doesn´t exists, he will continue "non-existing" even if you believe he does exist.

Really, what you believe makes no difference to God, only to yourself.

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

You are wrong, I am right.

It works for both sides.

Thats what it always comes down to anyways.

10. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

A few minutes in a tumble dryer could do that!

11. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

A friendly shop assistant could cover this one.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

It's easier to talk about some stuff if you've named it, and once you have a name there has to be an entity named, right ?

13. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

God's somewhere else at the moment but if He wasn't, He'd kick atheist ass from here to hell.

14. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

FOR
    Either: "It says so in the Bible - so must be true."
    or: "There are mysteries in the universe... so God must have done them until proven otherwise."

AGAINST
    God is a personification and anthropomorphisation of natural phenomena, be it the origin of the universe, of existence or "the first cause" etc. The personification does not exist other than in the minds of those who use the term "God". There is only the actual phenomena - no god.

15. Tnerb Banned Banned

For and aganist:

QQ is God.

And there are other little little this and thats to this statement which I have no feeling at at the moment to work out, at all.

16. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

what god? i think that there is none and that is me

17. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I hope everyone looked at the link I provided earlier. Within the video you can find such quality quotes as "Repeat it after me bitch! I come in the name of Jesus!".

18. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

"god" and religon were made in the name to explain why the hell things happend. rabbits, deer, lions don't have faith becuase they don't ask why. humans do. and religon was an early explanation, and then there was scieance. the real diffrence, scieance actully gives logical explantion. religon just says"god did it"

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps people need to have something other than themselves in which to blame everything on?

20. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I am an atheist who envies theists due to the following.
    • Belief in an afterlife is comforting when one thinks about mortality.

• Some of my theist friends have the smug belief that they will be able to say: "Dinosaur, I told you so!" An athiest can never hope to be able to say that to a theist.
    Both of the above seem like excellent arguments in favor of religion.

I wish I could come up with some believable (to me) theory allowing for an afterlife without an accompanying belief in the existence of a god or gods. That would solve both of the above problems for me.

21. Gustav Banned Banned

place limitations on creativity
    introduce back into the chain of causality

22. Gustav Banned Banned

pardon
    redefine the fucker

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Some questions;

How is "belief in an afterlife" comforting, when the real anxiety is due to death itself, which every sane person understands to be universal?
    Also, how can it be comforting not actually knowing whether or not one is eligable for a heavenly existence (this of course excludes those who believe they are automatically eligable)?

second paragraph;

I assume you are a naturalist, or agree for the most part with naturalist philosophy. Why would you wish for an afterlife, as this goes against nature (at least as we understand it)?

Jan.