01-31-08, 06:18 AM #1
Why the internet is a blessing...
The internet is not just a blessing/good thing thanks to all the free porn and pictures of celebrity tits.
It is a good thing, because it allows us access to alternate sources and cannot be controlled easily. It allows for opinions and perspectives to gain weight on their own without the backing (and therefore influence) of a major sponsor, newspaper, network etc. It allows people to see the wide range of opinions and perspectives out there.
For instance, I never knew about the libertarians until I came to the internet. I never knew about our own Christian Democratic Party(another fringe group) until I got the internet.
So, why is the internet a good thing or bad thing for you ?
01-31-08, 07:02 AM #2
It gives the opportunity for everyone to have their viewpoints known thus a catharsis of sorts for many.
01-31-08, 07:28 AM #3
It allows people like me to meet people like me?
Last edited by S.A.M.; 01-31-08 at 09:36 AM.
01-31-08, 07:33 AM #4
The first thing that impressed me about the internet was that I would talk to mentally ill people. I had study for example Multiple Personality Disorder (now DID) but going online I could talk to these people. That felt an honor.
01-31-08, 07:35 AM #5
Free information, everybody has a voice. In particular with the blogosphere and stuff like youtube and so on. Bad thing: Every crank and madman can reach the masses.
01-31-08, 09:26 AM #6
not controlable, self-organizing image of our society...
01-31-08, 09:35 AM #7
01-31-08, 09:36 AM #8
01-31-08, 09:46 AM #9
Some good things
I find it extremely convenient when I want to research something. I find it helpful when I want to look up medical stuff. I seem to have become my own doctor and my diagnosis are almost always correct.
I get to talk to nietzschefan while he is at work on msn.
I have made some online friends that I have known for yrs. It has become a source of entertainment.
Kids can print out things for school and find information for projects, instead of running to the library.
Some bad things
I sometimes worry about my older son seeing alot of crap he shouldn't ( too much disgusting stuff at your fingertips)
I have had to have some talks with him about adding ppl onto his MSN ( I only want ppl he knows from school or whatever)
Having little tiffs with him about certain sites I rather him not on on.
And I HATE HATE HATE, when you are doing something and some disgusting porn popup comes up or actually directs you to some shit!
Last edited by shorty_37; 01-31-08 at 09:56 AM.
01-31-08, 09:56 AM #10
1. Its easy to plan trips (reservations, tickets, maps, driving directions, hotels, tours, schedules for bus and train)
2. Its easier to communicate (email, messenger, blogs, forums)
3. Its easier to access academic journals and live conferences.
4. Its easy to store and access documents, presentations, photos, mail
5. Its easier to hold conferences even when you cannot commute (teleconferencing, satellite seminars, video presentations, slide slows)
6. Can be involved in many work related activities like focus groups, online science communities (like AAAS, NAS, ASN, EBMO, NAASO, Nature, not sciforums )
7. Can collaborate with research groups and coordinate studies which would have been impossible in older days.
8. Can order rats from Japan, antibodies from USA and equipment from Germany with ease, after comparison shopping on an international level
9. Can work at airport terminals, at home, at hotels
10. Can go gaming online with other people who enjoy the same
11. Can get access to media which is not limited by state control
12. Can have almost unlimited access to any information anywhere in the world (that is wired)
13. Can live in India/China and work for a company in the US
14. Can keep in touch with family and friends, follow their lives on blogs and through emails and messengers
15. Can shop at home.
01-31-08, 12:17 PM #11
01-31-08, 12:23 PM #12
By ashpwner in forum Computer Science & CultureLast Post: 11-22-10, 06:15 PMReplies: 16
By Avatar in forum Free ThoughtsLast Post: 12-11-07, 03:55 PMReplies: 10
By cosmictraveler in forum Free ThoughtsLast Post: 10-19-07, 05:31 PMReplies: 6
By Fraggle Rocker in forum General Science & TechnologyLast Post: 09-02-07, 02:19 AMReplies: 43
By nwaogu in forum Physics & MathLast Post: 05-22-06, 09:42 AMReplies: 1