What happens to the orbit of the planets when the Sun becomes a red giant and a dwarf

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by joepistole, Jan 28, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Will some planets be thrown off into space? Will Jupiter gain enough mass to become a star or brown dwarf? How much mass will the Sun loose during this process?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. blobrana Registered Senior Member

I dont know.
    But i suspect as the sun grows the whole system could become unstable.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I thought you knew everything blobrana

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. Your posts are always quite intelligent and knowlegable. But thanks for your answer. As the sun looses mass, its gravitational attraction would become weakened. I was just wondering if it would weaken to the point that planets stray from the solar system. I was also currious about how much solar mass would be captured by the planets, and Jupiter in particular. I don't know if anyone has looked at this issue. It is kind of far out in the future, but interesting speculation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

It might be a good idea to check out this page about the subject
    http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Lectures/vistas97.html
    I suspect that Jupiter will lose a lot of mass due to erosion by the fierce stellar wind and the various helium flash events, but will also gain a lot of matter from the same wind. But not enough to become a star; that would require about 80 times as much mass as it holds today.

8. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member