Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 92

Thread: Bible Contradictions 1

  1. #41
    For an end goal.

    Would it have been easier for God to do it one way or the other? One must assume that he set these goals out as a blueprint to find out who would be faithful to him. The Bible would make no sense if God didn't make mistakes.

    In fact, God even admits to making mistakes. Take the flood...

    ''And God was grieved with man...''

    You cannot have such emotion if you knew it was going to happen anyway. It's obvious God is a bit like the uncertainty principle... He can't know every aspect of reality.

  2. #42
    Does the Bible have contradictions, or is it that our ability to understand the word of God is inhibited by our limited brains?

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku View Post
    In fact, God even admits to making mistakes. Take the flood...

    ''And God was grieved with man...''

    You cannot have such emotion if you knew it was going to happen anyway. It's obvious God is a bit like the uncertainty principle... He can't know every aspect of reality.
    All that suggests is that there is no such thing as pre-destination.
    Sorry, Calvinists.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Why did god create pigs and why did Noah save two of them when they are regarded as unclean animals in the Bible ?
    So, God should not have created any animal that humans should not be eating?
    Why not?
    Is everything he created simply for our own pleasure and enjoyment?
    Are you really that self-centered?

    Animals were not created as food for man.
    Actually, according to the Bible, when God created ALL animals man was supposed to be vegetarian.
    The change that allowed man to eat meat did not come until many years later in Leviticus.
    NIV Genesis 1:29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

    No contradiction here at all.
    Nor with shellfish.

    The reason pigs were "unclean" is simple. Ever heard of trichinosis?

  5. #45
    Registered Senior Member Myles's Avatar
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by one_raven View Post
    So, God should not have created any animal that humans should not be eating?
    Why not?
    Is everything he created simply for our own pleasure and enjoyment?
    Are you really that self-centered?

    Animals were not created as food for man.
    Actually, according to the Bible, when God created ALL animals man was supposed to be vegetarian.
    The change that allowed man to eat meat did not come until many years later in Leviticus.
    NIV Genesis 1:29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

    No contradiction here at all.
    Nor with shellfish.

    The reason pigs were "unclean" is simple. Ever heard of trichinosis?

    God should have forseen the forthcoming change. Or is he not omniscient after all ? Or omniscient about everything but pigs ?

  6. #46
    Registered Senior Member Myles's Avatar
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by joepistole View Post
    Does the Bible have contradictions, or is it that our ability to understand the word of God is inhibited by our limited brains?
    Well what's the point of god givingus his word, if we cannot understand it ?

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by one_raven View Post
    All that suggests is that there is no such thing as pre-destination.
    Sorry, Calvinists.
    The beginning and end was determined... so everything is predetermined. It's our understanding of the world.... and possibly even Gods... for he cannot exist outside the universe, so he must be bound to quantum nature itself. Why he would do so, goes beyond my measurement.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    God should have forseen the forthcoming change. Or is he not omniscient after all ? Or omniscient about everything but pigs ?
    Free will denies the existence of pre-determination.
    There is nothing in the bible that claims God can see all that will happen in the future.
    The bible does, however, claim that man has free will.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku View Post
    The beginning and end was determined... so everything is predetermined. It's our understanding of the world.... and possibly even Gods... for he cannot exist outside the universe, so he must be bound to quantum nature itself. Why he would do so, goes beyond my measurement.
    The end is determined?
    Are you referring to John's non-sensical ravings in Revelation?

  10. #50
    ya'll are all over the place here.
    We are here to grow through (often painful) experience of good and evil. In fact the forbidden fruit came from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. This is because God is realllllly lonely and he wants someone who actually gets his jokes. We are not here merely to exercise free will. Free will is necessary so that when we f-up and learn the painful bits its not a good God's fault.

  11. #51
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,782

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    I wish to examine some of what I regard as contradictions in the Bible and see what explanations, if any, are forthcoming.

    The first question I would like to pose is this :

    Why did god create pigs and why did Noah save two of them when they are regarded as unclean animals in the Bible ?

    Please keep to the topic , as I have I have a number of questions I should like to raise one at a time

    Thanks
    Simple.

    They are regarded as unclean only in regard to human contact and consumption.

    Unclean does not mean evil or bad. Pigs serve a purpose in nature and therefore are of value.

    Just because something is not good to eat does not mean that it has no other worth.


    All Praise The Ancient Of Days

  12. #52
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    3,782

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Question 2

    Why did god create a world full of sinners, Noah and his family excepted, and then have to drown them all ?

    God did not create a world full of sinners. God put up with a world full of sinners for a time and still puts up with them.

    He drowned them all to demonstrate the price of sin in a dramatic way i guess. Remember everyone dies so the price of sin has been paid by untold billions more than those who died in the flood.

    The story of Noah and the flood as survived for a very long time because it is dramatic, it is a warning and a sign of things to come. As the bible says; as in the times of Noah so it shall be in the end times.


    All Praise The Ancient Of Days

  13. #53
    Registered Senior Member Myles's Avatar
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Adstar View Post
    Simple.

    They are regarded as unclean only in regard to human contact and consumption.

    Unclean does not mean evil or bad. Pigs serve a purpose in nature and therefore are of value.

    Just because something is not good to eat does not mean that it has no other worth.


    All Praise The Ancient Of Days
    What value have pigs ?

  14. #54
    Registered Senior Member Myles's Avatar
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Adstar View Post
    God did not create a world full of sinners. God put up with a world full of sinners for a time and still puts up with them.

    He drowned them all to demonstrate the price of sin in a dramatic way i guess. Remember everyone dies so the price of sin has been paid by untold billions more than those who died in the flood.

    The story of Noah and the flood as survived for a very long time because it is dramatic, it is a warning and a sign of things to come. As the bible says; as in the times of Noah so it shall be in the end times.


    All Praise The Ancient Of Days
    So are you saying yhat god created people without knowing they would become sinners?

  15. #55
    Registered Senior Member Myles's Avatar
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHoncho View Post
    ya'll are all over the place here.
    We are here to grow through (often painful) experience of good and evil. In fact the forbidden fruit came from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. This is because God is realllllly lonely and he wants someone who actually gets his jokes. We are not here merely to exercise free will. Free will is necessary so that when we f-up and learn the painful bits its not a good God's fault.
    Why can't the Trinity tell jokes among themselves.? Have they heard them all before. I like the one about Jesus ascending to heaven and sitting on his own right- hand side

  16. #56
    Registered Senior Member Myles's Avatar
    Posts
    5,553
    Quote Originally Posted by one_raven View Post
    Free will denies the existence of pre-determination.
    There is nothing in the bible that claims God can see all that will happen in the future.
    The bible does, however, claim that man has free will.
    I have never spoken to a Christian who believed other than god was omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. That is not to deny what you say about the absence of such attributes in the Bible

  17. #57
    Registered Senior Member Myles's Avatar
    Posts
    5,553
    One raven

    How do you interpret 1Sam2.3 ?

  18. #58
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    What value have pigs ?
    In what has always seemed to me an unnecessary cruelty, Jesus, on one occasion, used them as receptacles for demons. I mean if he was God, he could have simply cast them out. What did the poor pigs every do to deserve possession and then drowning?

    The Healing of Two Demon-possessed Men
    28When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes,[d] two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way. 29"What do you want with us, Son of God?" they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?"

    30Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding. 31The demons begged Jesus, "If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs."

    32He said to them, "Go!" So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water. 33Those tending the pigs ran off, went into the town and reported all this, including what had happened to the demon-possessed men. 34Then the whole town went out to meet Jesus. And when they saw him, they pleaded with him to leave their region.

  19. #59
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    2,136
    This quote from
    Exodus 21
    should make it nearly impossible the Christians - or Jews for that matter, to go to war.
    22 "If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely [e] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
    In any war foetuses and preganant women will be hurt and killed. And yet I never hear Christians and Jews calling for the retribution above in relation to their own soldiers, bomber pilots and leaders.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Why did god create pigs and why did Noah save two of them when they are regarded as unclean animals in the Bible?
    Simple: God didn't. Based on the theories of evolution, The Einstein Factor, plus when you actually sit down and read through the New & Old versions of Genises in the "Holy" Bible, you will notice many scientific contradictions. Not just Biblical.

    During University I majored in Religious Philosophies. I've studied all kinds of religions from Christianity, Buddhism, Satanism, Thelema, Hindu and loads more; and I honestly have to say, none of the above listed religious philosophical texts have as more contradictions than those of the Christian religion. Christianity is a joke.

    Many have attemped to validate the Christian theories; but have unearthed nothing but rube fooling, besmirching and pseudo-intellectual brain-farts from people deemed 'loyal' to another. Contradiction in that: In the Bible it states "One cannot serve God & Man" - thus; the very beginning and the end of it is full of more contradictions than any other that I have witnessed.

    Religion itself provides a cover for the masses; it's something for the sheep of society to use as a scapegoat - to use as an excuse to not accept the consequences and responsibilities of one's own behaviour, decisions, and actions. 'God' never existed, and never will. But even I remain open-minded enough to understand that we have yet to discover the Universe, so anything is still possible.

    However in the meantime I will look more at Science for the answer as to whether "God" exists or not. So far, Intel tells me: He does not, and never did, exist.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. By Reiku in forum The Cesspool
    Last Post: 12-29-07, 12:23 AM
    Replies: 57
  2. By Tnerb in forum Religion Archives
    Last Post: 12-17-07, 05:30 AM
    Replies: 29
  3. By SetiAlpha6 in forum Religion Archives
    Last Post: 11-26-07, 02:42 PM
    Replies: 65
  4. By genep in forum General Philosophy
    Last Post: 05-01-07, 04:38 PM
    Replies: 0
  5. By buddhahead in forum Religion Archives
    Last Post: 04-16-07, 02:39 PM
    Replies: 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •