Bionic Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by sandy, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandy Banned Banned

Scientists have taken the first step toward creating digital contact lenses that can zoom in on distant objects and display useful facts.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For the first time, engineers have installed an electronic circuit and lights on a regular contact lens. The prototype they created does not actually light up or display information. But it proves that it is possible to build an electronic lens that is safe to wear and doesn't obstruct vision....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,323929,00.html

Awesome.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

What if it short circuits. Ouch.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

Good point. Interesting idea, though....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, It sucks that contacts are not available for eveyone, but i'd be cool to have these on one eye and normal contacts on other.
    We could even, given enough miniturization have a dictionary/web browser encoded contact lense.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Challenger78 actually that would SUCK. Have you ever had your eyes focused at different lengths?

I have had to drive with one lense in and its dam near impossable to see properly without covering the eye without the lens in it

9. Archie Registered Senior Member

Asguard, my experience differs from yours. A fairly common technique these days is called "mono vision", wherein one contact is made to correct distance vision and the other is made to correct close up (reading for us old cooti) vision.

I thought it would be a disaster. I rather like it now. It is very useful and not confusing at all.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

it could just be me. when i have to swap between my contacts and my glasses which are both an up to date perscription i get dissy and my distance perseption is all out of for about an hour

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Note to self: do not drive with dictionary.com on...

Ok, So i guess we want focused contacts.. Now, If only we could prevent them from short circuiting..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.