How do Muslims get into Paradise?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Revolvr, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Revolvr Registered Senior Member

There was another thread on just who or what is in the Islamic Paradise. What I am curious about is how a Muslim actually gets in to Paradise?

Is it a matter of faith alone? Or is it how well one conforms to Sharia Law? How does Allah’s mercy and justice play into it? Is it all or nothing, or are there different levels of paradise?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Practice, practice, practice.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Theres only one way to paradise. You have to find it within yourself. Nothing else will ever do.

Regards,
    Jozen

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

Practice unconditional love and be selfless in your attitude.
    As was demonstrated by religous figures such as Jesus, Krishna and others.

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

open the door walk through said door, close said door behind them.
    short answer walk

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Accept that Islam is the only correct religion and all others are wrong, venerate the Arab named Mohammad as the very last Prophet for all time and study the Qur'an which absolutely perfect (at least to Muslims - well whatever "perfect" means) and you'll be well on your way to Muslim heaven.

10. Revolvr Registered Senior Member

It's more than just accepting Muhammad (pbuh) as the messenger of Allah. One has to behave correctly, be obedient to the Law right?

11. Revolvr Registered Senior Member

I had hoped our Muslim friends, SAM and others, would contribute to this thread. It's one of the few Islam threads that doesn't reference violence or virgins, and asks a genuine question.

Perhaps there is some reason our Muslim friends don't want to go down this path?

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think it is because as I understand Islam, there is no single path.

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Islamic Path to Savlation:

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/80/story_8052_1.html
    Obey God's law and Muhammad's doctrine. The path to heaven includes confessing faith in one God, Allah, and that Muhammad is His Messenger; recitation of five prayers daily; giving alms; fasting throughout Ramadan, pilgrimage to Mecca. Confessing and repenting one's sins is between the person and God, made only to Allah and for Allah. Strict obedience to God's laws (conveyed in the Qur'an) and His prophet's doctrine is required.

It is the last sentence that causes the religion some difficulty as it is interpreted differently. And the Qur'an makes some conflicting statements. So entry into heaven can vary somewhat in how the Qur'an is interpreted...what sections are deemed to apply to a given situation...(e.g. martyrdom dos, don's and exceptions).

One kind of facinating aspect about the religion is that Mohammad did not appear to like dogs. He only tolerates them as working animals. One must be careful to not let dogs come between the follower and Mecca for prayers.

The religion is similar to Christianity in many ways. However, Mohammad plays a significant role...all must acknowledge his prophet status...similar to how Christians are requried to accept the divinity of Christ. There will be a judgement day and God will judge the quick and the dead to determine who will go to heaven and who will go to hell. I am really amazed at the similarites in beliefs but perhaps I should not be as Mohammad claims to be the last of the prophets....the seal of the prophets (meaning he is the last of the prophets and fulfilling Christianity and Juadism).

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  14. Revolvr Registered Senior Member

What if I don't obey Allah's law perfectly, or screw up a few times? What if I miss some of my prayers? Does that mean I go to hell? I work with some Muslims and I don't see them excusing themselves during the day for prayers. Seems like they might be in big trouble.

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

That is where the Jins come in. You can make up for your sins by suffering in on this earth.

Suffering is desired by Allah to erase one's sins. Some suffering is Satan's doing or is the work of his spirit world cohorts ("Jinn") and is allowed by Allah as a test of humility and faith; suffering and adversity strengthen one's faith, as pain often leads to repentance and prayer

I think this is where we get the rewards for martyrdom coming into the religion. Suffering erases sins and is evidence of repentance.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What a load of crap!

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Glad to see you SAM. Please show us the error of our ways. We are just trying to understand the religion based upon what others have written. Perhaps you can be kind enough to set us straight on the religion as I think you are the only one here with first hand experience.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Through righteousness:

“Righteousness is not that you turn your faces to the east and the west [in prayer]. But righteous is the one who believes in God, the Last Day, the Angels, the Scripture and the Prophets; who gives his wealth in spite of love for it to kinsfolk, orphans, the poor, the wayfarer, to those who ask and to set slaves free. And (righteous are) those who pray, pay alms, honor their agreements, and are patient in (times of) poverty, ailment and during conflict. Such are the people of truth. And they are the God-Fearing.” (Quran 2:177)

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Thanks Sam, you mentioned freeing slaves. How does that square with the centuries in which Muslims actively put people into slavery and sold them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

The Arab slave trade refers to the practice of slavery in West Asia, North Africa, East Africa, and certain parts of Europe (such as Sicily and Iberia) during their period of domination by Arab leaders. The trade mostly involved North and East Africans and Middle Eastern peoples (Arabs, Berbers, Persians, etc.). Also, the Arab slave trade was not limited to people of certain color, ethnicity, or religion. In the early days of the Islamic state—during the 8th and 9th centuries—most of the slaves were Slavic Eastern Europeans (called Saqaliba), people from surrounding Mediterranean areas, Persians, Turks, other neighbouring Middle Eastern peoples, peoples from the Caucasus Mountain regions (such as Georgia and Armenia) and parts of Central Asia (including Mamluks), Berbers, and various other peoples of varied origins as well as those of Black African origins. Later, toward the 18th and 19th centuries, slaves increasingly came from East Africa.[1][2][3]

Some historians estimate that between 11 and 18 million black African slaves crossed the Red Sea, Indian Ocean, and Sahara Desert from 650 CE to 1900 CE.[4][5][6]

The medieval slave trade in Europe was mainly to the East and South: The Byzantine Empire and the Muslim World were the destinations, pagan Central and Eastern Europe an important source. Slavery in medieval Europe was so common that the Roman Catholic Church repeatedly prohibited it— or at least the export of Christian slaves to non-Christian lands was prohibited at, for example, the Council of Koblenz in 922, the Council of London in 1102, and the Council of Armagh in 1171.[7] Viking, Arab, Greek and Jewish merchants (known as Radhanites) were all involved in the slave trade during the Early Middle Ages.[8][9][10]

So many Slavs were enslaved that the very name 'slave' was derived from their name; not only in English, but in other European languages and Arabic as well.[11]

Periodic raiding expeditions were sent from Islamic Spain to ravage the Christian Spanish kingdoms, bringing back booty and slaves. In a raid against Lisbon in 1189 CE, for example, the Almohad caliph Yaqub al-Mansur took 3,000 female and child captives, while his governor of Córdoba, in a subsequent attack upon Silves in 1191 CE, took 3,000 Christian slaves.[12]

According to Robert Davis between 1 million and 1.25 million Europeans were captured by Barbary pirates, who were vassals of the Ottoman Empire, and sold as slaves between the 16th and 19th centuries.[13][14] This considerably exceeds the figure of 645,000 Africans who were brought to what is now the United States.[15] These slaves were captured mainly from seaside villages from Italy, Spain, Portugal and also from more distant places like France or England, the Netherlands, Ireland and even Iceland and North America. The impact of these attacks was devastating – France, England, and Spain each lost thousands of ships, and long stretches of the Spanish and Italian coasts were almost completely abandoned by their inhabitants. Pirate raids discouraged settlement along the coast until the 19th century.[16][17]

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Obviously it doesn't

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

We won't hold it against you SAM..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Thats the Arab Slave Trade, not the Muslim Slave Trade. Jews, Christians, Pagans were all Arabs back then. Also, that wikipedia article is very biased and is a translation from a French article. Slavery in Islam is extremely different from what we saw the Westerners practice. The inhumane treatment as was the norm here is not allowed. Also, one of the greatest deeds a Muslim can do is free a slave. Which was done, repeatedly.

23. Revolvr Registered Senior Member

How do you know if you've done enough of these things? Some pray more than others, some give more alms than others, etc. etc. And nobody is perfect, there are times in anyone's life I'm sure where you aren't so truthful or perfect. Is there some way to know you've done enough?