God:the early answer to a problem?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by fusion4577, Jan 16, 2008.

1. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

My opinion is that god and gods where created to explain why everything happens. that they are a early form of scieance. but then it was built in with scieance and it hasn't left. The god theroy has been proven wrong many times by scieance, but it is a tradition now.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what are the examples of god's existence being proved wrong by science?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

The big bang theory, cloning, areas of scieance that have discussion on reproduction and the creation of man and matter

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

if abiogenesis remains a theoretical term and life is only seen to come from life, it's not clear how these arguments help your case

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The mechanism of life is clearly not a mystical process, but one that involves blind and unconscious chemical reactions. You don't need to see abiogenesis happen to know that.

9. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

let's call a little theory of mine the "chance"
    by chance an organic life fom was made on a planet in the remains of a supernova far away. it was bactrea. it multiplyed, and eventuly a comet blew up the planet and it was part of big enough chunks of rock that haddevolped thin thin layer of amostphere. it survived, and so on so forth
    and besides, even if the bible has the "answers" it could be a false one to.

10. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

the bible and most religons are not open enough for new thought to aprove of these new discoveries, scieance is flexible enough to do so.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I agree. Religion is an early form of science. It was a best guess given that they didn't know about genetics, microorganisms, lightning, diseases, mental illness, and many other things we now know.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

if there is no experiment or phenomena observed of blind and unconscious chemicals coming together to form life, it's not clear what you are seeing exactly.

13. fusion4577 insane, atheist, and not dead Registered Senior Member

scieance can look into the formation a bit more, religon is more fixed

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

others, even scientists, disagree

Prof. J. Weizenbaum

As many have observed, modern science has become a religion, at least for Western man. Like other religions, it has a priesthood, roughly organized on hierarchical lines. It has temples, shrines, and rituals and it has a body of canons. And. like other religions, it has its own mythology. One myth in particular states that if, say, by experiment a scientific theory is confronted in reality with a single contradiction, one piece of discontinuing evidence, then that theory is automatically set aside and a new theory that takes the contradiction into account is adopted. This is not the way science actually works.

In fact, some people have the same type of very deep faith in modern science that others do in their respective religions. This faith in science, grounded in its own dogma, leads to a defense of scientific theories far beyond the time any disconfirming evidence is unearthed. Moreover, disconfirming evidence is generally not incorporated into the body of science in an open-minded way but by an elaboration of the already existing edifice (as, for example, by adding epicycles) and generally in a way in which the resulting structure of science and its procedures excludes the possibility of putting the enterprise itself in jeopardy. In other words, modem science has made itself immune to falsification in any terms the true believer will admit into argument.

Perhaps modern science's most devastating effect is that it leads its believers to think it to be the only legitimate source of knowledge about the world. Being a high priest, if not a bishop, in the cathedral of modern science— my university, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology —I can testify that a great many of what we sometimes like to call "the MIT family," faculty and students, believe that there is indeed no legitimate source of knowledge about the world other than modern science. This is as mistaken a belief as the belief that one cannot gain legitimate knowledge from anything other than religion. Both are equally false.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

science (or more correctly, empiricism) works exclusively with the senses
    that is the basis for its credibility

the moment you make a claim that is outside of sense perception in the name of science (like life arose out of unconscious chemicals for instance), you discard the credibility

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It also works on making deductions and inferences from observation.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

yes
    technically they are called "theories" until such time as they can be practically shown to be true

It could just as easily be "Abiogenesis: the early answer to a problem?"

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  18. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Kindly define 'life'. Thanks.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

go visit an open casket funeral and see if you can spot any differences between the person in the casket and the people in the aisles

20. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I've asked my friends but none of them are willing to die so that I can check. Any chance you can give me a brief list?

21. wartsNAM Registered Member

It seems like you regard scientific theories as a "best guess." Maybe you don't but in case you do I just want to say that scientific theories, especially old, heavily peer reviewed and tested ones are on essentially the same level as fact. They are an attempt to unify known facts and through this make predictions. In the case of the theory of evolution many many predictions have been made and have been proven correct. A good theory is not strong because of the evidence it has supporting it, it is strong because of the lack of evidence against it. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

never encountered a dead bug before?

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

thankyou for your kind response
    Science prides itself on "getting the job done". In this reagard we are talking about abiogenesis.

Is abiogenesis falsifiable?
    peer reviewed?
    been the basis of any solid predictions?