Reference: Constitutional Amendments

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Asguard, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Americans here always refer to certain amendments to the constitution which makes it rather difficult for non americans to understand what they are refering to so i want to ask

Can anyone list the amendments and there implications please. After they are listed this thread will be locked and it will be sticky so i can be used as a reference for people. As it will be a reference it will also be pruned so if you want to debate make another thread

Thank you
    Asguard

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A few paltry remarks

The Constitution of the United States of America is, as it sounds, the basic document describing our government. And it can be changed, or, as the term goes, "amended".

The primary body of the Constitution is specifically limited to the functions of government. The first ten amendments, collectively known as the "Bill of Rights", are intended for the people. Further amendments over the years have altered the Constitution according to the needs and wisdom of the times.

I generally refer to the Legal Information Institute (at Cornell University School of Law) when I need to access the Constitution:

Our international neighbors are probably familiar with some of these amendments:

• First Amendment: Freedom of Religion, Speech, Press, Assembly, and Petition
    • Second Amendment: Right to Bear Arms
    • Fourth Amendment: Search and Seizure
    • Fifth Amendment: Right to Jury, no Double Jeopardy, no Self-Incrimination
    • Eighth Amendment: No Excessive Bail or Fines, no Cruel and Unusual Punishment​

These are the most familiar from the Bill of Rights. Often you will hear of the Tenth Amendment, which refers to the concept of States' Rights. This is the idea that the States, and not the federal government, are in charge. Conflicts between Constitutional obligations and guarantees often lead to the complaint that the Tenth Amendment has been damaged, or even repealed. Despite these concerns, the Tenth Amendment is intact. States' Rights advocates, however, generally overlook the Ninth Amendment, which reserves non-enumerated rights to the People. So, for instance, a combination of the Ninth and Fourteenth Amendments might compel the federal government to say the states cannot pass a certain law, but it does not mean the Tenth Amendment has been abandoned.

Which, of course, leads to:

• Thirteenth Amendment: Abolition of Slavery
    • Fourteenth Amendment: Privileges/Immunities, Due Process, Equal Protection, Apportionment, Civil War Disqualification and Debt​

The Fourteenth is a fairly large amendment. Two sections of the amendment are obsolete, pertaining to the aftermath of the Civil War, but the remainder continues to vex certain people. A contemporary issue involving Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment would be the so-called "anchor babies", who are, by proxy of being born in the United States, citizens of the country and also of the state of their birth/residence. Additionally, Section 1 guarantees due process, and includes the famous "Equal Protection Clause".

Also of interest:

• Fifteenth Amendment: Right to Vote Regardless of Race
    • Sixteenth Amendment: Authorizes Income Tax
    • Eighteenth Amendment: Prohibition of Alcohol
    • Nineteenth Amendment: Right of Women to Vote
    • Twenty-First Amendment: Repeal of Prohibition
    • Twenty-Second Amendment: Presidential Term Limit
    • Twenty-Sixth Amendment: Right to Vote at Age 18
    • Twenty-Seventh Amendment: Congressional Compensation​

I include that last because (A) it is the last amendment to date, and (B) it was ratified in 1992, some 202 years after its introduction. Not that anybody really cares.

There is also a controversy surrounding what is called the "Missing Thirteenth Amendment". It's part historical mystery, part conspiracy theory. Theoretically, this amendment, which would prohibit citizens of the United States from accepting titles of nobility or accepting compensation from a foreign government without Congressional authorization, can still be ratified and made a part of the Constitution.

Additional resources:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

This thread has been closed because it thanks to tiassa it can now serve its purpose. If anyone wants to add anything to it please feel free to PM me and i will add it for you

Thanks
    Asguard

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Buffalo Roam asked be to add this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.