Why is can we have more that one wife, from a biblical perspective?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by joepistole, Jan 9, 2008.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Can we have more that one wife, from a biblical perspective?

When and who said we could only have one wife? Is there biblical justification for just having one wife? When and where did the ban on plural marriages come from?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

is Bible your living guidance? Look into your soul and morality you seek to follow the everyday mundane

justify your self with mirror of self

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Sandy said in another post that she belived in the literal Bible. The Bible is full of examples of holy men with many wives. What happened that caused modern Christians to leave the practice?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Ephesians 5:31-32: "For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. This secret is great, but I speak concerning Messiah and the assembly."

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Saves on alimony checks/

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You already have enough problems with one of "them" why try your luck with more? :shrug:

10. draqon Banned Banned

Old testament seems to allow it...with references such as David having many wifes...meanwhile new testament seems to refer that it is wrong

11. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: They really don't leave the "practice." They take mistresses, adulteresses, and whores.

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Yes, and the New Testiment does not forbid it. And strangely, modern Judiasm does not practice plural marriage either. Who had the revelation, thou shall have only one wife?

13. draqon Banned Banned

the morality of ourselves told us so, it whispered its truth into our deaf ears.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Maybe it was the first wife speaking in our ears! I think that might be more likely.

15. draqon Banned Banned

I have not married yet and I think so

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I am 21

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Now I ask you, who is more important God or your wife or girlfriend?

17. draqon Banned Banned

I don't believe in God

I don't have a wife

I don't have a girlfriend

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well Dragon, I guess that is called freedom.

19. draqon Banned Banned

I instigate my morals by myself, no bible, no religion. Buddhism in essence is my belief

If I choose to get married I will not tie my self, it was my choice and so is my freedom will be as it ever was "mine"

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I would be interested in getting the fundamentalist view of this difference in policy and practice of the religion.

21. draqon Banned Banned

interesting as in something that you would agree with? Follow yourself ... not books' guidance or others' believes.

22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Gnosis Dragon, this is not about me or my beliefs, but rather to help me understand the rational for the belief of others and perhaps to stimualte some others to think a bit.

23. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Well, somehow the Mormons missed this "revelation" because many of them still believe in having multiple wives just like in the Old Testament. I think it had to do with a certain very lustful foundational leader of theirs. There have been many accounts of sexual abuse among their members. All you really need is to find some guy who has delusions of grandeur who will tell you whatever your lustful heart wants to hear. Morality often has little to do with religion. People can become amoral or even immoral through the teachings of the Bible or a leader with little real morality of their own, just my opinion.

By the way, do you think that your wife should have more than one husband? What if you were 1 husband out of 5 or 10? What if she had children by some of the others and none by you? Would you be OK with that? Who would be in charge of the entire family?

Just Wondering?

In answer to your question, I found this explanation on the following website (http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4074.asp)

The clearest evidence that monogamy is God’s ideal is from Christ’s teaching on marriage in Matt. 19:3–6. In this passage, He cited the Genesis creation account, in particular Gen. 1:27 and 2:24, saying ‘the two will become one flesh’, not more than two.

Another important biblical teaching is the parallel of husband and wife with Christ and the Church in Eph. 5:22–33, which makes sense only with monogamy — Jesus will not have multiple brides.

The 10th Commandment ‘… You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife [singular] …’ (Exodus 20:17) also presupposes the ideal that there is only one wife. Polygamy is expressly forbidden for church elders (1 Tim. 3:2). And this is not just for elders, because Paul also wrote: ‘each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.’ Paul goes on to explain marital duties in terms that make sense only with one husband to one wife.

The example of godly people is also important. Isaac and Rebekah were monogamous — they are often used as a model in Jewish weddings today. Other examples were Joseph and Asenath, and Moses and Zipporah. And the only survivors of the Flood were four monogamous couples.

Hope that helps a little! Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008