How can I tell which copy of vista authorized on my computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by alexb123, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I am a bit confused and I need to know which Authorization Certificate is active on my computer (not which version of vista).

Anyone know how I can check this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

If you mean what I think you do then you can go to control panel -> system and look near the bottom of the page.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Hi, Rub not sure where you mean to look.

What has happened here is that I have upgraded to a copy of Vista Ultimate (not by choice its a total rip off but I need just one function). I attempted to get a copy online but got so far and was told I need an upgrade disk. So I stopped at that point (I have already paid for the item) and then I found out that I could get the upgrade from my Uni for £20 rather than the £130. So I installed the Uni copy and now I am attempting to cancel the £130 copy that I have never downloaded because I didn't have the disk.

Any way the company Fujitsu are telling me that "Returns of software delivered by download are not provided"

I think they are saying that I have downloaded an vista authorizations (thingy) rather than the download itself (because I clearly have never downloaded it) and therefore I cannot get a refund.

Is there a way I can tell if I am running vista under their authorization or the University's? Or can I tell in any event logs if I have installed any files at all from their wed site?

Also, I am sure that I have never enter a security code if that helps.

Cheers

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

From what I understand the Upgrade disk pretty much ships with OEM preloads of the lesser Vista Versions. The disk was meant as a way to upgrade Vista, I'm not entirely sure of the process but I believe the disc pretty much authenticates your version for upgrading and would then ask to download extra files from the internet.

(I never had the opportunity to test this since I started with a Vista Ultimate Install to begin with).

Since I'm gathering you are dealing with OEM, you don't obtain any codes, you are just obtaining the software right to upgrade. It's likely that the website which I'm guessing is the producer of you laptop has upgraded your systems profile in regards to your purchase, however they will attempt to flaunt any Digital Consumer rights at you if they had various disclaimers. (Like a non-returnable policy) The only way you can beat that is if you show to them that their disclaimer was obscure or illegible. (Like a hidden link)

If you go Control Panel > System you can look to see what version of the OS you are running and what Code is being used. It's likely to be an OEM code, you'd then have to look at the actual upgrade Disc(s) as usually the OEM number is located within a file on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.