Pride is a sin, and God is full of it!

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by QuestionEverything, Jan 8, 2008.

1. QuestionEverything Assume nothing! Registered Senior Member

Job 1:8-12 (King James Version)

8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
    God is bragging about his favorite servant Job, isn't pride a sin? :scratchin:

9 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

Satan baits God to tempt him and see if he can get permission to mess with Job. Whatever happened to "Tempt not the lord thy God"? Oh that's right it's Satan we're talking about here! One gets the idea that this tactic has worked for Satan in the past, boy that God is a real sucker! :mufc:

12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
    God fails this test of temptation and says (I'm paraphrasing here), "Alright it's a bet! But don't kill him, if you kill him he can't live to still prove you wrong by not turning on me!" And thus the tragedy begins. Yet God who is omniscient already knew Job would not turn against God so why bother persecuting Job? To prove to Satan what God already knows, that's why. Confirmation of God's pride AND insecurity!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So here we learn that not only is God full of pride, but his insecurity makes him easily manipulated by his enemies. Satan also seems intellectually superior to God in this text, how can that be?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

pride is not a sin

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. QuestionEverything Assume nothing! Registered Senior Member

Proverbs 8:13 (King James Version)
    13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Proverbs 16:18 (King James Version)
    18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

Job 33:16-18 (King James Version)
    16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,
    17 That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man.
    18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.

2 Chronicles 32:26 (King James Version)
    26 Notwithstanding Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart, both he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the LORD came not upon them in the days of Hezekiah.

Leviticus 26:18-20 (King James Version)
    18 And if ye will not yet for all this hearken unto me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins.
    19 And I will break the pride of your power; and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass:
    20 And your strength shall be spent in vain: for your land shall not yield her increase, neither shall the trees of the land yield their fruits.

Hmm... Seems the Bible would tend to disagree with you.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Incriminating Convoy Registered Member

You are absolutely right QE. Growing up I was taught that pride was a sin because the Bible says so. lol, we as Americans are sinners indeed.

8. QuestionEverything Assume nothing! Registered Senior Member

Apparently so is God!

You know what I say, "Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin!"

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

vaguely reminiscent of "Is the pious loved by the gods because it is pious, or is it pious because it is loved by the gods"

10. Incriminating Convoy Registered Member

Isn't hate considered a sin?

11. Adstar Valued Senior Member

Pride is only sin for man. Because man being imperfect should not be proud. God however is perfect. So He can be as proud as He likes.

The Laws God gives to His creation where designed with His creation in Mind. It is like designing a building for the environment you place it in.

You can make a Law about the building codes for buildings built in an earthquake zone and another code for buildings built outside an earthquake zone.

Secondly God allows satan to act upon Job the same way He allows satan to act upon the world. To allow satan to reveal himself to all the heavenly host and to humanity. In the same way God also acts upon the world to reveal himself to all.

All the world is a stage and we are all playing the parts our wills desire us to play.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

12. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Lol religious people are so stupid. They excuse their god for the very things they find the most negative in everyone else... pride, murder, jealousy etc. The reason we have these things is clearly because we were made in his image.

13. C1ay Skepticist Registered Senior Member

Perfect? Why does the world have hideous birth defects, hideous diseases and hideous people?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

God comes off as a regular smartypants lol

15. QuestionEverything Assume nothing! Registered Senior Member

Put yourself in Job's shoes and see how much you agree with your god's pride and insecurity then!

16. QuestionEverything Assume nothing! Registered Senior Member

Correction, we made him in OUR IMAGE. That is why he has those qualities.

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yup. We all know Christianity is infested with hypocrisy.

18. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

And people wonder why I love being an agnostic.

19. QuestionEverything Assume nothing! Registered Senior Member

Well it certainly makes you immune to these arguments doesn't it?!

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

number one

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I would think an agnostic runs the risk of being pulled either way..

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

number three

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member