How artery blockages can be prevented?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by plakhapate, Jan 7, 2008.

1. plakhapate Banned Banned

In order to prevent Bypass Surgery or Angioplasti is it possible to prevent blockages in artery?

If blockages are already there is it possible to remove these blockages or dissolve it in some chemical which are body friendly?

Does intense Pranayam solve this problem?

P.J.LAKHAPATE

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The best preventative methods are to not smoke, maintain proper HDL/LDL cholesterol levels and exercise. Avoid drinking in excess to maintain a healthy liver.

No. There is currently no such treatment available.

No. There is absolutely no evidence that it helps in any way.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Noble laureate Linus Pauling was an advocate in the last years of his life for using 5 grams/day of the amino acid L-Lysine as a treatment for arterial deposits.

Look it up on Google.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I use Plavix which is a prescription type of medicine to prevent artery plaque build up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plavix

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  8. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

Read is right, HDL and VHDL cholesterol are the main problem in causing your arteriest to get clogged. you want to have a high level of LDL cholesterol which is maintained through proper diet and exercise.

this SHOULD be the primary prevention method!

9. sandy Banned Banned

No one has mentioned genetics yet. The only people I know with problems are those with a genetic history. They don't smoke, drink, or have an unhealthy lifestyle. The most recent is my aunt whose cholesterol levels are dangerously high and she is the poster child for perfect health otherwise. She has cholesterol issues on both sides of her parents'/families.

10. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

well not much we can do about that......

yes there is a hereditary issue regarding HDL and VHDL cholesterol, this is why heredity is considered a risk factor. When I train clients a brief family history is required in the PAR-Q to determine their risk factors. Other than being AWARE of your family history, which many people are not......there is not much you can do about that dept HOWEVER

Science has shown that even in those who have high density level cholesterol issues through heredity, proper exercise and diet can help in reducing HDL and increasing LDL......so heredity imho is not an excuse

11. sandy Banned Banned

I don't think heridity is an excuse but it is a factor that those predisposed should monitor starting at an early age.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I predict that bio-nanotechnology will provide the solution to this before any other line of research does. Just send a flotilla of nanobots through the bloodstream, having a mission similar to that of white blood cells but with broader scope and powers to match. Destroy anything they find that doesn't belong there, whether it's a hostile organism or a plaque deposit.
    Pauling was at my university and I had great respect for him, but we all have our failings and he had his. He went way over the fringe with some of his health and nutritional advice. He was a chemist, not a biologist.
    I presume you're referring to the fact that the Mexicans eat lots of fat, the Italians drink wine with every meal, the French put chocolate in their baby formula and the Japanese consume all that mercury, yet they all live longer than we do. The usual punchline to that joke is: "It's speaking English that kills you!"

15. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

EDTA chelation treatment, along with regular exercise, maintaining correct body weight, eating healthily, stopping smoking and excess drinking, can be a viable alternative to open heart surgery and heart bypass; my father is the living proof (5 years and going strong after being told that he needed a triple heart bypass--yesterday!). Chelation removes heavy metals from the arteries; heavy metals attract free radicals, which attach to and oxidise the fatty plaque, causing disease; therefore removal of heavy metals minimise the effect of free radicals. This is a very simplified explanation considering that whole books are written trying to explain the therapeutic effect of chelation treatment, a treatment which is not accepted by the FDA but that has saved thousands of people from death and/or heart surgery.

16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Ive heard about this too...got any links to controlled studies of this treatment.

I thought serum calcium was the target of chelation therapy for blocked arteries...not heavy metals.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I dont know if he was right or not about his Lysine treatment. How do you know he was wrong?

18. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

No specific links but if you google edta chelation you will find tons of information.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

EDTA or ethylene diamine tetra-acetate is a calcium chelator in cell cultures, but not sure if it works with serum calcium.

EDTA complexes with Manganese, Iron copper and cobalt

Just remembered it is used in hypercalcemia and lead poisoning so yes it should chelate serum calcium

20. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It does not remove calcium.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It should. It works excellently in cell cultures and we use it to collect unclotted blood samples by using EDTA coated tubes that bind calcium making it unavailable for the clotting cascade.

However serum calcium is maintained very strictly within a range by a collaboration between vitamin D and parathyroid hormone, so you should not feel adverse effects from it (within limits)

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I can't address his Lysine treatment but Pauling was one of my chemist heroes. It was a big letdown for me when his claims about vitamin C turned out to be false.

As Fraggle said, he was a chemist and NOT a biologist - and certainly not a biological chemist. He would have done well to have stayed within his field.

Footnote: this is also a good example of why it's not wise to accept the word of scientists that aren't climatologists when they dismiss world-wide climate change.

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Die very young, say before 30.