Religion and science - filming

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Robin Hood, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Robin Hood Science filmmaker Registered Senior Member

I'm making a documentary film about scientists and engineers, and one of my subjects is a Christian who incorporates his beliefs and morals into his work.

Here is some recent filming with him.

test-tube.org.uk

(video is main one featured at top of page)

Any thoughts or feedback would be welcomed.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

There are a fair number of scientists who also belong to a religion. Though they still believe in their religion, none of them have managed to find evidence in their fields which back up their religion (other than the proven liars at AiG). Would a scientist who found something which contradicted a basic tenet of their religion, reveal it or try to hide it?

You could mention islam. Several centuries ago, islam was one of the most developed socieities of the day. Then the imams and mullahs found out that the sciences were starting to contradict their religion so all knowledge was banned and islam went into the dark ages. A terrible tragedy brought on by very stupid and ignorant people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Here's the video link for anyone interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BKfkw1aOiE

my first impression of the film is that it captures that unique "british gentlemen" character - that is probably more of a cultural issue than one of technical film skills

I think the extreme close up and the ways the scenes were spliced together helped give an intimate feel of the speaker genuinely revealing his mind

there was a good balance of him talking about aspects of his personal life (playing music etc) and talking of his aspirations to incorporate his work ethic with his belief.

In short, it was a welcome change to the extremism (either atheistic or theistic) often encountered in more "in depth" discussions on the topic

The lack of any response to your post that actually indicates having watched the video probably indicates we tend to be more interested in our respective extremism

as such, I think your efforts do well to balance "the forces of evil" in these perplexing times

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I have often wondered if religious engineers & sceintists spend much time analyzing their religious beliefs.

I suspect that many are less religious that they are willing to admit to others.

From some time in my early teens, I was an atheist, but did not realize it until I was about 18-22. I avoided admitting it to others until I was 25 or 30.

Compared to most people, I have a high resistance to peer pressure. The psychological & other pressures to conform to religious beliefs were very powerful when I was young. They still are. It took me a long time to openly acknowledge my atheism, while I was willing to take the blows for my other non conformist views.

8. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Not only that, but the way intellectuals will still identify themselves with a religion. It is one thing to believe in god, but do these same intelligent and polite people ever think to themselves "Jesus the son of God"? Why worship these figures or hold any truth in religious writings? It only serves as influencing your behavior at the most rather than reaching towards the truth of the matter.

And it's the same thing as being an atheist - I can read Dawkins knowing full well he has no authority in the matter of deciding whether or not god exists. Of course he and all atheists are right when confronting the more blatant parts of religion, but when it comes to the metaphysical, I am constantly confused why some bright people can say "yes, Jesus is the son of god", or "yes, my soul will last forever in heaven".

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

probably because they are possessed of different values

probably because you are are possessed of different values