FILM: I am legend!

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by lucifers angel, Dec 26, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

I downloaded this film to watch on chrismas eve, and i just wanted to give my opinion on it, but first a little about it.

----------------

Am Legend is a 2007 post-apocalyptic science fiction horror film directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Will Smith. It is the third film adaptation of Richard Matheson's 1954 novel I Am Legend, following 1964's The Last Man on Earth and 1971's The Omega Man.[2] Smith plays an immune Robert Neville, Earth's possibly only human survivor of a man-made virus. He works to create a cure, but is stalked by nocturnal mutant survivors of the plague.

Warner Bros. Pictures began developing I Am Legend in 1994, and various actors and directors have been attached to the project, though it never entered production due to budgetary concerns. Production began in 2006 in New York City, filming mainly on location in the city, including a $5 million scene at the Brooklyn Bridge, the most expensive scene ever filmed in the city at the time. Warner Bros. launched a tie-in comic and an online multiplayer game on Second Life as part of its marketing campaign. I Am Legend was released December 14, 2007 in the United States. Despite mixed reviews, its opening was the largest ever for a film released in the U.S. during December.

-------------------------------------------------

Plot
    A genetically re-engineered measles virus called Krippin Virus or KV, originally created as a cancer vaccine by Dr. Alice Krippin (Emma Thompson), rapidly spreads and more than 90% of the people on the planet by the end of 2009 are either killed or infected when it mutates into a lethal strain that is transmissible through the air and blood. The infected survivors initially exhibit the early symptoms of rabies, but then degenerate into an animal state driven by hunger and blind rage.

Military virologist Robert Neville (Will Smith) is the last healthy human survivor in New York City and possibly the world. Neville is watched by the "Infected" people, who react painfully to UV radiation, forcing them to be nocturnal. Avoiding sunlight, they hide in buildings during the day (in groups called "hives" by Neville), swarming out at night. Dogs and rats are also susceptible to the virus. By 2012, Neville has not seen another normal human being since the virus' outbreak three years earlier, and suspects that the Infected have succeeded in killing the remainder of the immune survivors. Outnumbered by the infected, struggling with the effects of interminable solitude, Neville is running out of time as he seeks a cure.

His isolation broken only by the companionship of his daughter's dog Samantha (Sam), Neville's life centers around a strict, daily routine of working out, researching a cure, foraging for food and supplies, and security, but he also has leisure time in which he plays golf and watches recorded news and entertainment broadcasts on TV. He is regularly haunted by flashbacks of his wife's and daughter's deaths while being evacuated during the chaotic, militarily enforced quarantine of Manhattan in 2009. He also waits each day for a response to his continuous radio broadcasts to any uninfected survivors. One day his research appears to find a promising treatment, so he captures and treats an infected woman, but without apparent success. Shortly after, he is ensnared by a trap and attacked by the Infected. He escapes, but is forced to put down Sam because she has been bitten by an infected dog and begins to transform into one of them. Despondent over the death of Sam, Neville suicidally attacks a group of Infected that night and is nearly killed. He is saved by a pair of survivors who have traveled from Maryland; they take him back to his fortified home on Washington Square North. Anna (Alice Braga) and young boy Ethan (Charlie Tahan), immune like Neville, survived the chaos aboard a Red Cross evacuation ship. Hearing Neville's broadcasts, they have come with plans to take him to a rumored survivors colony in Bethel, Vermont. Anna tells Neville that God sent her to bring him to the colony. Neville refuses to believe her, saying that there cannot be a God in a world with such suffering and mass death.

The Infected attack the house that night and overrun its defenses. Neville, Anna, and Ethan retreat into the basement laboratory, sealing themselves in with the Infected woman on whom Neville was experimenting. Discovering that the last treatment has successfully cured the woman, Neville realizes that he has to find a way to pass it on to other survivors before they are killed. He quickly draws a vial of blood from the patient and gives it to Anna. He pushes Anna and Ethan into a coal chute and sacrifices himself with a hand grenade, killing the attacking Infected.

Surviving the explosion, Anna and Ethan escape to Vermont and locate the fortified survivors colony. Anna gives the cure to the guards. In the voice-over, she states that Neville's cure enabled humanity to survive and rebuild, establishing his legend.

-------------------------------------

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

without giving to much away, it went further than the book did! anyone else seen it? or going to see it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm you downloaded ?
    It just got in the theaters here, last Thursday

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes we downloaded it!

will smith was brilliant! but the book was a little better.

the best character HIS DOG!

8. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

I thought it was terrible. The infected things reminded me of hobbits with pasty-yellow skin.

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

each to they're own i guess.

theinfected reminded me of late vampires, the way film makers are making vampires now!

10. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

The story appeared to be a regular rehash of zombie fiction, however I must say Will Smith showed depth and range of emotion in the sci fi flick. The viewer actually feels his loneliness and the loss of his canine companion (the sole live uninfected entity at ground zero other than himself).

Side comment: the infected humans were unrealistically strong, there is no way a skull could withstand repeated beatings against medical level shatterproof glass.

I'd give it 3 (maybe 3.5) out of 5 stars, riding on the coattails of Smith's performance.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

More than anything, I liked the way the film was framed. Cinematography and direction are outstanding. All things being equal, though, I'm glad I watched a download. (Don't worry, they'll get the money for it when I watch it again on HBO or whatever.)

12. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Saw it a few weeks ago.

With the exception of Tiassa's comment regarding cinematography (which I agree with, was good) the flick was garbage. Unbelievably predictable and surprisingly uneventful.

At best, what was interesting and enjoyable was to watch (at least for the first half or so of the flick..) an actor essentially performing alone.

13. superstring01 Moderator

LOL. I had a small disagreement with my BF over the fact that I refused to watch a pirated copy of the movie. In the past two years I've gotten more intransigent in my refusal to use any pirated software/music/movies.

~String

14. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Moralist zealot alert ARGHHHH!

15. superstring01 Moderator

Zealots attempt to spread their ideology, I do not. I merely have my beliefs and attempt to make sure my actions reflect those beliefs.

Question for you (since you are attempting to make a point about the matter): do you believe in steeling or do you think it's illegal? Do your actions mesh with your beliefs.

~String

16. Bells Staff Member

Well I don't need to now after reading your post.

17. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Yeah I watched it, didn't think it was anything special. Predictable. The 'bad guy' in the film felt like he was just thrown in there because Hollywood decided every movie needs a specific villain.

Don't think I need to add any more, everything I thought of it has already been mentioned by Enterprise-D, Tiassa and glaucon. Glad I didn't pay to see it.

18. Vega Banned Banned

Its the same senario as the British film "28 days later"

19. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Just watched the film, and although I haven't watched 28 days later, I think its substantially different.

28 days later deals with the resurgence of the virus.

I am Legend deals with an apocalyptic secanario.

It was a good film, with plenty of interest, and good pacing. It did become a bit predictable in the middle, but soon changed. I liked the explosions, and the reverse trap.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I liked it. The end was a bit ho hum.

Gotta watch it on the big screen for full impact. Awesome concept.

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Yeah.. Full screen all the way.

"You cannot be serious Fred..." was my favourite bit.

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Yes...I forgot to mention this, the ending was exceptionally mediocre...the narrative end with the title worked in is way too overdone; I did expect more from it than assuming that the viewer is too stupid to realise that Neville's legend would be the newly immunized human population.

I imagine it was forced from the ending of the novel tho - but this is an assumption since I haven't read it (yet).

23. najara Registered Member

it's in theaters now here.. and I will watch it... might write my own opinion about it after that..