Underage Drinking

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by [a-5], Dec 24, 2007.

1. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

This is bullshit. I live in Connecticut, and underage drinking here is through the roof. There are 13 year olds getting wasted and having sex at parties. Not to mention high-school parties which are WILD. It seems that parents just don't care about alcohol consumption anymore. Kids get booze so easily, it's almost as if it's handed to them with the expectation that they will "Drink Responsibly." Pffffttt, what a load of crap. What steps can be taken to stop this? Is it even possible to stop it? Should schools have better education on drugs and alcohol than just some dinky "Health" class? Discuss. Your opinions are valued.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kadark Banned Banned

Unfortunately, increasing awareness in school activities will do jack squat to make the abominably high underage drinking rates decline. Underage drinking and premarital sex are widespread, and have been inextricably interfused with (predominately) Western "culture".

Parents need to avoid assuming the "friend-friend" role between themselves and their kids, and must understand the fine line between being a parent to your child, and being his or her friend. Parents should refuse buying/giving their children alcohol to drink, or face a strict penalization process in return. People profusely say, "oh, it's only a drink, what harm could it possibly do?" Well, the answer is: lots. The number of people killed by drunk drivers/alcohol related incidents is staggering, with no decrease in sight. Premarital sex and accidental pregnancies (occurring many times from impaired judgement due to alcohol) leads to single parents who cannot properly raise their child. The result of this? Unmistakably, the poorly parented child resorts to drugs and alcohol at a young age due to the poor influence of his only parent (likely mother). Thus, the forgettable cycle continues.

Of course, no change or positive alternation to such an ongoing phenomenon is realistic until the culture and society found in the West is changed completely. That means when you stop seeing so much drinking/partying on TV, when there are better family values, when the extended family once again finds itself the majority over the nuclear family, there will be noteworthy change toward the better.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

drinking and sex is something i have talked to my kids about since they were...3, I guess. Smoking and illegal drugs as well.

It starts in the home at a young age. If you wait til it talked about in school, its too late. And parents have to be roll models as well. A drunk parent who hops from partner to partner can't expect their kid not to do it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The only way to stop it is to put the store owners out of business if they

are caught selling to minors.

8. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

So, you're saying that parents need to assert their authority more. A valid point. But it can be argued that this would diminish the child-parent bond that they have as the child could come to resent the authority that is forced upon them.

This is true. How old are your children, Orleander?

How will this stop the older brother buying booze for the younger? I think that now, this becomes a question of Ethics and Morals in present-day America, or the lack thereof.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

16 and 9 (for one more day)

My 16 yr son has friends who party all the time. They used to always swing by and see if he wanted to go. He's not interested. His girlfriend wanted to go to one party, so he did. Had a few winecoolers I suppose. He hasn't been to one since. He said it was funny at first watching the drunks fight, but then it got stupid. Especially when the girls started.

Hmmm, I just realized my daughter has been drunker than my son. :bawl:

And as far as sex goes, my son and his girl have been together for 2 yrs, but they have known each other since kindergarten. (her twin brother is my son's best friend). I think they are mature enough. As long as they use protection, I'm ok with it. I've told him this. I've even bought the condoms. His friends have random sex. He thinks they are incredibly stupid.

10. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Damn...this kid is more responsible than the President of the United States. I'm glad that he's decided to live a straight-edge life, it says a lot about his character. Wish your daughter a very happy birthday on my behalf :] I had to learn that getting wasted is bad the hard way.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, he's not that responsible. His favorite place in school is detention. Homework is also incredibly stupid <sigh>

12. Kadark Banned Banned

Precisely why children need to fear their parents. Someone has to have the control, you know?

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think my kids fear me, they just fear what I can take away from them. My husband warns and threatens and warns....nothing.
    I warn, then I do. Once they do what I have told then, they can get whatever I have tossed into the dumpster.

I've even called my son over at his friends house and told him to come home NOW! he didn't put the dishes away. I've only had to do it once.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Har har, I'm in the same boat. It's a phase. I'm the same age as your son :]

Ehhhh. I'm afraid of my parents =/

Lmao, that's pretty dick.

15. Kadark Banned Banned

And you seem like a nice person. See how it works out?

16. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

If I was your child, would you beat me within an inch of my life? You scary person.

17. Kadark Banned Banned

Only if you got out of line.

18. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

That's abuse. :[

19. Kadark Banned Banned

That's a great idea for a new thread!

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't assault my children. Never have.

21. [a-5] Sex machine, coin operated. Registered Senior Member

Run with it.

It hurts them more than it hurts you.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

all they would learn was "I'm bigger than you and I can beat you if I want"
    In my family there is a long line of child abuse. It stops with me.

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Teenagers like that should be shot in the head for giving the rest of us such a bad name.

(just messing obviously)

Kadark: Re: Premarital sex. Do you honestly think it realistic for someone to go from having never had sex, to being with someone for the rest of their lives? I don't know about you but I think that is a bit of a leap.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007