What is the most important subject taught in school?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Kadark, Dec 22, 2007.

?

Which is most important?

1. Mathematics

17.2%
  2. English

13.8%
  3. Biology

6.9%
  4. Chemistry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Physics

3.4%
  6. History

6.9%
  7. Social/Global Studies

1.7%
  8. Economics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Physical Education/Gymnastics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Career and Life Management

1.7%
  11. Philosophy

3.4%
  12. Law

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Geography

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Geology

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Software/Computer Courses

1.7%
  16. All subjects are equally important

20.7%
  17. Other (specified in thread)

22.4%
  1. Kadark Banned Banned

When we consider every subject taught in school (both academic and athletic), which one in particular rises above the rest? Which subject is the most vital for shaping a desirable future for students? Every subject is uniquely important, but which one is the most practical and applicable to everyday life? Which subject taught in school sticks with us the longest, and is used most often in everyday endeavours?

I'll start off: Mathematics. Reason being because it is a fundamental basis for almost every aspect of life. It finds its way into almost every type of career. It is applied in regular encounters all the time. It is possibly the only course that is not subjective. There are plenty other reasons as well, of course.

Note: I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

The absolute MOST important thing taught is the ability to READ! Without that, all the rest are rather pointless. (That's why I chose "other" in the poll.)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kadark Banned Banned

Maybe that would fall under English?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sandy Banned Banned

The most important thing is self-responsibility. Kids are taught to be responsible for themselves and their stuff in kindergarten. Unfortunately it is never taught again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

I think it is whatever gets a kid into knowing his/her abilities and ambitions. For me in this case it is math, science, and engineering.

9. Kadark Banned Banned

I know what you mean (and you're right), but I'm not sure if "self-responsibility" is a subject in school.

Good point.

10. Carcano Valued Senior Member

From the age of 7 to 14 there should be nothing but PhysEd, reading, writing, arithmetic and geometry.

There should be real tests of flexibility in PhysEd, not just showing up to throw a rubber ball around.

There should also be tests of basic ethics.

After that, whatever you study should be your choice.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Is reading considered English? Because without being taught to read, all the others are useless.

13. sandy Banned Banned

I agree with the ethics part but I think phys ed should be eliminated. Spend the money on getting the kid ready for life, not playing.
    Think about what you use/remember the most. Home ec is good for everyone. So is typing, business classes, and psychology. The rest is all individual preference for whatever their major will be.

14. Kadark Banned Banned

Don't you think 14 is a little too old? I mean, students may be overwhelmed with calculus, chemistry, physics, etc, when introduced to them after seven years of your description of school.

Really? I don't recall reading in gym class.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes, reading should fall under English.

15. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

To me my most important subjects are Science, math, engineering class, english, and spanish. Although I also enjoy history. Phy Ed is very important since exercise is good for your body, reduces stress, and helps you sleep.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No, not necessarily - it all depends on where you live. For instance, English isn't taught much at all in China and other places as well.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, I'm not gonna split that hair. Let's consider English to be Language.

I'm still saying reading is the most important.

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Not at all...is there any point in studying history if you cant read and write?

Is there any point in studying Algebra if you cant do basic arithmetic?

Ive known busloads of kids who graduate from grade 12 and cant write a good paragraph...and in some cases cant even speak english properly.

I couldnt spell my way out of a paper bag when I got out of high school...and yet they gave me a diploma nevertheless.

Additionally, I knew almost nothing about health and fitness...in spite of spending a decade in PhysEd.

Its appalling.

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Read-Only........

When answering this poll I ASSUMED reading was already taught to

everyone because it really isn't a course unless you put it with English

which it is included with all of the time that I took English.

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

My whole point is this: First, by labeling it "English" is restricting it to certain parts of the world. Second is that reading is taught very early on in school well before English is considered a formal course.

And if a child fails to understand how to read, they will never learn much else in all the other various categories.

In fact, many kids begin learning to read at home before they even enter school.

21. Killian_1_4 Registered Senior Member

The Maths.

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Did you just vote for your personal favorite subject or do you REALLY think that math is more important than being able to read and write your native language???

23. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

apples and oranges......