Christianity is a Hate Group

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Thoreau, Dec 22, 2007.

?

Do you think Christianity is a hate group?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. No opinion.

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

A hate group is an organized group or movement that advocates hate, hostility, or violence towards members of a race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation or other designated sector of society, or that supports and publishes assertions and argumentation characteristic of hate groups without necessarily explicitly advocating such hate or violence that otherwise characterize hate groups. The term "hate group" is a political neologism. It is not used by these groups themselves, but rather by those who oppose them, and sometimes by sociologists or historians who study them. Many groups described this way disagree with the term as misconstruing their motives or goals.

Hate groups usually assert that the targets of their attacks are harmful to society, malicious, less fit to be members of society, or are operating some hidden cabal. The evidence hate groups present for these assertions is usually poorly corroborated, and is often based explicitly on the hate group's negative beliefs about the social groups to which the target is or is imagined to belong (e.g. groups based on race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, etc.).

Although their evidence is usually inaccurate, sub-standard and widely rejected by society, the hate group continues to propagate assertions, myths, narratives and rumours, playing upon fear, xenophobia, blame or jealousy, with the aim of harming the individuals and groups they target, and inciting others to distrust or hate them also. The ultimate aim of a hate group is commonly the delegitimization, elimination, and exclusion of groups, or the harm, deportation, or death of individuals. Hate groups often use their victims as scapegoats to blame for discontent in society.

Doesn't this define the actions of many of the major world religions, MAINLY Christianity in America?

Debate away my friends!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses and we should get rid of it as soon as we can.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Since you are already starting off with a biased viewpoint we can extrapolate that hate is present amongst all groups.

8. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

You really don't like me do you?

9. John99 Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. Your reading into things.

10. John99 Banned Banned

Plus you want to start another thread with a guarantee to go over 2 pages...possibly?

11. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

I speak whats on my mind, despite its results.

12. DeepThought Banned Banned

Are you so cowardly and insecure that you need to start threads like this?

13. John99 Banned Banned

I guess it depends on where you look then. You didn't mention anything specific either, so i guess it just depends on what you are looking for. You are entitled to your opinion, what 'group' would be opposite?

14. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Get lost. I've no time for your childish ways. Either participate in the conversation or shut the hell up. Its really that simple.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think Abrahamism in particular tends to foster hatred because it reinforces people's tribal instincts. Christianity has mellowed very slightly over the past few generations just because it's been around longer than Islam and is losing steam, but Islam is at the peak of its hate curve. Since the major target of its hatred is Christendom--its competitor for the "souls" of us "heathens"--Christendom is rising to the challenge and hating back. The Jews, not having the ability to grow through evangelism, never had enough power to safely manifest a lot of hatred, but they're sure doing a good job of it now that they have their own little theocratic country and the protection of The World's Only Superpower.

It's certainly inarguable that the majority of the hatred in America--toward gays, immigrants, intellectuals, people with darker skin, scientists, foreigners and every other religion except Judaism and possibly the Dalai Lama--is centered in our Christian community.

Nonetheless as I've said I think it's highly unfair to single out Christianity when over the centuries it's running in a dead heat with Islam for the Hatred Award and the only reason the Jews aren't in the running is that there aren't enough of them to qualify. There's something about monotheism that brings out the worst in human beings. As I've hypothesized at great length in other threads, I think it's the very fact that the human spirit is not one-dimensional and the Abrahamic attempt to squash it into a pathetic model of good-versus-evil suppresses all those other dimensions of it, which fester and periodically explode.

Can anyone cite instances of polytheistic or animistic religions having inspired such orgies of hatred?

16. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Well written and great points! And to answer your question, no, I can not think of any instances of the top of my head aside from the Persian Wars, which even then were not based entirely in religion.

17. Carcano Valued Senior Member

To be fair to Muslims I'd say the motivations of their antagonism are political, not religious.

Jesus is one of the most highly revered figures in their religion.

Bible belt Christians absolutely LOVE believing things like...'they hate us because we're free' or 'they hate us because we're Christian'.

18. Thoreau Valued Senior Member

Yes and No... it is political because they rely on thier religion to not just influence, but to RUN thier governments.

19. DeepThought Banned Banned

The complexity of life terrifies you.

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I had to vote yes, since imo any ideology (religion, nationalism, racism, etc) that breeds such certain conviction that not only are you right, but everyone else is beneath you or needs you to save them, based on nothing but hearsay, is hateful by nature.

21. lightgigantic Banned Banned

since most people believe they are right and that everyone is beneath them based on nothing but hearsay, it seems we are mostly atomic hate groups

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

You are probably right. It's a tough nut to crack. But encouraging mass outbreaks of this (religion, etc) is hardly helping.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

on the contrary, I would argue that religiousity helps crack it simply because it deals specifically in challenging those faults of character we just love to decorate ourselves with (lust/wrath/envy/animosity/etc)

even if a religious person is acting in a hateful way, they can be criticized by the standards of scripture they are advocating

All you can say about religion is that it offers the greatest opportunity for hypocrisy, since the higher the values the less likely persons in general will be able to abide by them