The Religious Atheist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by nicnacuk, Dec 22, 2007.

1. nicnacuk Registered Member

What are your thoughts on those who turn to religion in the face of adversity, such as when they become seriously ill? I can understand this reaction to illness and the seeking out of hope. However, are they really religious? Is it a true belief in a higher power or just a way of coping?

Best Wishes,

Nicola

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Simple human fear. Fear and terror at facing what is arguably the end of the universe from the perspective of an individual. I'd be suprised if most people didn't grasp at anything under these circumstances.

I for one have no fear of simple oblivion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Never underestimate your attachment to life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Myles Registered Senior Member

8. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

My thoughts are that they are late.

Of course, as long health and wealth are relatively intact, few will be interested to prepare for the time when they are not intact anymore and aging, illness and death strike. Living in this Universe, it is only a matter of time before they strike, sooner or later they will.

But once they strike and one hasn't prepared for them before, it will be very difficult to act reasonably so as to cause as little additional suffering and damage as possible. This is why it is important to prepare.

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Trust me, I'm attached! But the inevitable oblivion causes me no grief, as opposed to the worry and horrors that follow many throughout life based on a childrens fairytale.

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I agree.

11. Myles Registered Senior Member

12. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

As a kid, I honestly believed heaven was playground where all the kids got to play forever. I don't believe in that playground anymore, even though I sometimes wish I could. I think faith and rationality aren't entirely choices. Sometimes we see/feel something we just can't deny. I have more faith in my senses than I do in my heart. But for some it is the other way around. When facing death, when rationality no longer serves any real purpose, perhaps fear will collapse my reason, until I die expecting to reach that youthful playground again. Or, hopefully, I will look back on a life lived to it's fullest free of fear, and will die fulfilled, and will have earned my rest.

13. Myles Registered Senior Member

I totally agree with your sentiments. I came very close to death a few years ago but, because of my atheism. I had no fear. I think you will find that many others would tell you the same thing. The thought of extinction is not a nice one but, as death is inevitable, why dwell on it. Just get on with the only life you are ever going to have.We didn't miss life before we were born and we won't miss it when we are no more.

As to the point you make about your heart and rationality, I suggest that there need be no conflict between them. I believe reason is paramount when it comes to attempting to answer questions about the nature of universe we live in . On the other hand I get great joy watching my grandchildren develop, looking at the night sky, listening to music and so on, all of which are emotional responses. It is possible to understand why a sunset looks as it does in terms of physics but it is equally possible to simply enjoy watching it because there is a part of us which responds to beauty.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007