The GOP's evangelical base

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This is a joke that, for me, runs back over a decade. I recall the Seattle Post-Intelligencer's David Horsey did a panel about the Washington state GOP for the 1996 election that made, essentially, the same joke.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandy Banned Banned

They will determine the winner of the election. They always do.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

no the republican party takes advantage of them because they are quite frankly for the most part to stupid to vote in their best economic intrest

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. countezero Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately, Sandy, the evangelical base is decreasing with each election cycle. And if you're Republican this should trouble you. The party needs to go in a new direction to find new voters, but sadly, it does not want to. It is still obsessed with wedge issues and religious hoodoo at the polls. Meanwhile on the issues of substance (immigration, taxes and so on), the Republicans are arm-in-arm with the Democrats.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

An interesting point raised by National Review editor Ramesh Ponnuru, for Time.com:

In other Huckabee news, the former Arkansas governor sent a Christmas campaign appeal to voters who are sick of political adverts during the Christmas season.

YouTube: "What Really Matters"​

Notes:

Ponnuru, Ramesh. "The Huckabee Trap". Time.com. December 13, 2007. See http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1694486,00.html

9. sandy Banned Banned

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I admit there's some appeal about that one. It seems to have had its effect.

To the other, though, I would hope that advert explains why so many people think the GOP and its evangelical base are a joke.

11. sandy Banned Banned

It doesn't matter what "so many people think." The big kids on the Christian block will be influential as will the millions of Christian voters. They will pick/elect the next POTUS just like they did the last two times.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

It seems to matter what so many people think when CCRs are bawling about things like "the War on Christmas".

Then again, the last two elections have brought us such positive results. The dollar is stronger than ever, the Bush Wars are more successful than anyone could have hoped, and as a result the GOP is fielding its best flock of presidential candidates ever.

Right?

13. sandy Banned Banned

Nope. We're not bawling about the war on CHRISTmas, just annoyed by it.

The war in Iraq is moving in the right direction. Deaths are way down. Iraqis are doing more.

There is enough good economic news weekly to counter the dollar/mortgage blips.

We're not real excited about any of the candidates because no one is like W. That's what we want: a decent, honest, honorable, CCR. Had Romney converted to Christianity at least 7 years ago he would be the candidate. Easily.

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

but w was not decent honorable nor honest

15. sandy Banned Banned

He is all three. And more. He is awesome! :worship: :bravo: :yay:

16. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

I'm always astounded when I meet someone who's still a supporter for W after the past 7 years.

But after reading some ridiculous press release by some neocon think tank that suggested that Bush should somehow someway retain the presidency for life, I really should get a grip on myself and realize that these W supporters could be a lot worse.

17. sandy Banned Banned

I love him. There are still millions of us who do despite our thoughts about some of his behavior. I DESPISE his softness on criminal aliens. I want them all gone. Yesterday.
    I would vote for W again in a minute--give him a chance to finish what he started. He would. And life would be even more wonderful.

18. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Is that before or after Bush leads the economy into complete meltdown with a Mission Accomplished banner behind him?

19. sandy Banned Banned

Never. Gonna. Happen. The economy is fine despite the dollar/mortgage blips. We will be fine. We always are.

:bravo:

20. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Always?

I wouldn't say we, the US citizens, or the majority of them anyway, were "fine" during the Great Depression. Would you?

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

lol

that is the funniest thing i have ever heard

22. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Where were they during the last congressional election, or the Clinton years?

Did you mean to say that "they determine the winner of the election. They always do, except when they don't"?

:thumbsup:

23. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Umm, we Independents decide the real elections.

You're speaking about Republican Primaries.

I can't vote in them, but y'all can't win a general election without me and mine.