If science ...?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tiassa, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

If scientists, for whatever reason—and I'm sure we could think of a few if we tried—successfully bred pigs without cloven hooves, would ham become Kosher?

Or am I missing a few scriptural reasons?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

ham will never become Kosher...no pig eating because of mentioning of Trichinoses in scriptures

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There's probably something about not using animals that are deformed in any way.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Nifty. Never heard about that. Do you have a citation?

• • •​

Ah, I had not thought of that. But you've raised a pretty mystery. Several centuries ago, the discussion of evil among creation included considerations of a blind horse. I'd have to dig it up, but it seems to me that if there was a scriptural precedent about deformed animals (other than humans), that would have settled the argument right then and there.

Of course, it was, as I recall, the Catholics, so who knows what arguments were disqualified at the time ....

8. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

They don't chew the cud either.. I thought that was a requirement?

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I think it's an either/or.

(See response to M*W) below.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't sheep and goats have cloven hooves? They ate them, didn't they? I'm too tired to look it up right now.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

If an animal meets both criteria—is a ruminant and has a cloven hoof—all is cool. I believe sheep and goats qualify as such. I'm looking at Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14. Scripture is specific about pigs:

12. draqon Banned Banned

laws of Kashrut ... but your references look much more detailed

13. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

what does it mean does not chew? Sure it chews - it's got teach ain't it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

PS: Pork is YUMMY

14. Adstar Valued Senior Member

You do not know what chew the cud means.

Chewing the cud is when a herbivore regurgitates its food and chews it a second time.

So a cow will chew grass and then later it will vomit/regurgitated the partly digested grass into its mouth and then chew it again before finally swallowing it again and finishing the digestion.

15. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Aye, because in his infinite wisdom god made a grass eating animal with the inability to digest grass..

Guy's sure got a sense of humour, I'll give him that.

16. Myles Registered Senior Member

17. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

He created his children with foreskin when he didn't want his children to have foreskin..

18. Myles Registered Senior Member

[QUOTE=Photizo;1662514

Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Then may you also do good who are accustomed to do evil.

There's enough trouble in Ethopia . Please don't add to it

Your skirts have been uncovered.

I bet Ruth looked stunning in a miniskirt

Because you have forgotten Me And trusted in falsehood.

Do you pray for amnesiacs ?

19. Myles Registered Senior Member

You miss the point. He wanted to create employment for rabbis

20. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

No you miss the point. Does the foreskin get reunited with it's owner in heaven?

21. Myles Registered Senior Member

Praise the Lord. Another miracle

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

The old guy can sometimes be nasty. How about incitement to murder......one's own son ?

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Re: Draqon, #2, 9

The Jewish Virtual Library (A Division of The American-Israel Cooperative Enterprise) entry, "Kashrut: Jewish Dietary Laws" makes no reference to trichinosis, and is largely based on passages from Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy, and also the Oral Torah.

The Wikipedia entry on Kashrut—with, of course, the standard disclaimers about Wiki's accuracy—notes:

Maimonides° was a Rabbi of the twelfth century, a scholastic who sought—as scholastics did—to reconcile theology and knowledge (e.g. science). The Wiki discussion of Kashrut suggests:

Notes:

° Maimonides — Many theologians consider Maimonedes' strongest contribution his assertion of "negative theology"; that it is more appropriate to state what God is not than what God is. Theologically, this does make a certain amount of sense, as the concept can prevent certain conflicts of attributes that seem mutually exclusive. Eight hundred years later, though, we might wonder how the notion contributes to anti-identification, that is, labeling oneself according to what one is not. (Political candidates often specialize in anti-identification.)

Works Cited:

"Kashrut: Jewish Dietary Laws". Jewish Virtual Library. 2007. See http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/kashrut.html

"Kashrut". Wikipedia. 7 December, 2007. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashrut

"Maimonides". Wikipedia. 27 November, 2007. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maimonides

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007