Global Warming?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by flameofanor5, Dec 5, 2007.

1. flameofanor5 Not a cosmic killjoy Registered Senior Member

The thought of global warming has been raging through the minds of many, some openly accept the idea, some consider it foolish. The thing is; global warming is based of of a 100 year time line of weather. That is not nearly enough time to have enough evidence that the weather is drastically changing. Also, the temperatures taken 50-100 years ago weren't as accurate as they are now. (Technology has been advancing). And 15 or 20 years ago, everyone was worried about another ice age. Has there been another ice age? No. Now it's supposedly global warming.:shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

minus -20C here in Alberta,average is -3C so that global warming must be somewhere else!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Very sorry but you are showing your ignorance here. We have ice core samples that tell what the climate - and the levels of gasses in the atmosphere - were like for thousands of years in the past. It's hardly based on a simple little 100-year time-frame.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Yes, I remember that. It was because the average global temps were falling slightly from about 1940 to 1975.

Another contingent reckons higher temps will trigger the next ice age by altering the gulf stream ocean currents.

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Yes, iremember that very well myself. The thing is, trying to base something on a mere 35 years of observations isn't a good example of applied science. Not when you're talking about something like the climate of the Earth. That's hardly an eye-blink worth of data.

True, but they are very much in the minority. Although that is THE major conveyor belt that transfers heat from the lower latitudes to the British Isles, it's only one factor in the overall equation. The melting polar caps are another along with a possible shift in some of the major trade-winds. There's still a lot to be determined.

And all of those things are just part of the reason I much prefer the term "climate change" to "global warming." While some areas will become hotter and drier, others will become colder and wetter.

9. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

from my point of view we don't really know all of what would happen which to me is a very good reason to minamize are impact on it. Screwing around with nature rarely ends well for humanity

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Most climate scientists know it to be true, most idiots consider it foolish.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The main thing was, at least in what I was reading, that we were due to be cooling based on the past glaciation patterns and the standard solar/astronomical explanation.

They didn't have good data, but they were afraid that the cooling could happen quickly. It seemed to have happened quickly at times, in the past.

When they went out to get data, to see if a rapid cooling was to be feared, they found something quite different was going on.

We are still in the cooling phase of the normal, natural, solar driven glaciation cycle - or possibly in the plateau phase of the occasional "long cycle" - and that makes the actual temperature trends just that much more striking.

12. Sangamon Registered Member

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/12/071212-AP-arctic-melt.html

Just one of many many facts

I'm probably being to soft or liberal or whatever the fuck, but I'm genuinly scared. I mean me and my GF are talking about getting kids in the next 3-4yrs, and here I am actually considering not to do it because I honestly believe that in 20-30 years we will be well and truly fu***d and it will be hard enough to take care of ourselves, let alone a few kids.
    I guess i'll just keep riding my bike, buying locally produced food and put on a sweater instead of the heater...and hope that enough others will do the same