Why was this thread flushed?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by hypewaders, Dec 3, 2007.

1. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I was unable to sort through all the off-topic comments. It became a free-for-all, so, cesspooled.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

You may have to flush a lot of threads in the future. When a paradigm is crumbling, denial on the part of true believers is typical, as is obfuscation whenever myths and misperceptions are confronted. As in the aftermath of the Vietnam experience, the most vociferace denial and diversion will come wherever we dare to look behind the thickest patriotic bunting. Because institutional and widely-accepted public distortions over damage to and respect for Our Troops is particularly rife, and because there is systemic national denial and hypocrisy under exposure, there will always be a desperate hurling of obstacles into the path of serious exploration of topics like this.

Often desperate, impulsive off-topic flak peppers the more incisive threads; Controversy often stimulates evasiveness. Sometimes I wish we all didn't give in so easily, moving on to the next distraction in our often superficial, sound-byte superculture.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I, too, have been victim of this insidious form of censorship where I flushed a thread after it was hijacked by those who disagreed with the OP or the very fact that the topic was being discussed.

It works like this: 1) a freethinker or one skeptical of the status quo presents a topic for discussion; 2) a few people agree with the OP and reply with some agreement and some discussion thoughts of their own; 3) those that take umbrage to the very fact that others dare question the status quo hijack the thread with a few well-placed ad hominems and off-topic remarks or provocative remarks -all designed to solicit response from those that might otherwise be inclined to discuss the topic legitimately.

The thread is, thus, hijacked, with only a relatively few posts that actually are on topic and pages of post that went down the off-topic path.

For those that originally disagreed with the OP, mission accomplished: the topic is no longer being discussed. Their precious beliefs, superstitions, and delusions are safe and sound once again.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Sigh.

True.

My apologies. I get carried away. I iz only a bare.

9. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

you sir, are an imbecile

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It was mostly SAM, going off on Vietnam and other atrocities.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

The costs of affirmative action

Although you can probably predict what comes next here ....

I'm of the opinion that flushing threads is a result of having to defer disproportionate respect to certain perspectives that would otherwise feel discriminated against. We've abandoned the infraction system for them. We feel badly just tossing members overboard if they are legitimately incapable of understanding what they're doing wrong. At the same time, we are reluctant to take it out on other members—whether we want to call them "smarter", "more genuine", or simply describe their contributions to discussions as "more valuable" or "more honest"—when they lose their patience. Thus, a number of topics will be thrown to the Cesspool because that and outright topic closure are the most immediate tools available to help squelch the riot before anything gets set on fire.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

i hate to say this skinwalker but this sounds exactly like what fraggle was guilty of in the creation museum thread.
    this also sounds a little like you in the thread where i deleted most of my posts.

open minded? neither of you have an open mind when it comes to the origins of life on this planet or how its taught in our schools. scientists indeed.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Nyah nyah nyah. Takes one to know one. I iz only a bare.

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

It's fine to have an open mind. Just don't step on your brain if you stumble whilst navel-gazing.

15. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I don't recall ever deleting any of your posts. Was it recently?

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

a real joker you are! real funny.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

edit:
    it's been awhile skin. you might even say i'm holding a grudge.
    just forget it okay?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

um vietnam would be a legitmant tangent IMO

18. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

at least you make a connection between viet/attrocities...there may still be hope for you yet...

i like this kid.

*sigh*

i like this kid too.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

kid? heh, if you only knew.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!