How to get a legal copy of XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Let's say I decide to buy a new computer but it has Vista on it and I want to install XP. We have other computers in the house but none has a stand alone copy of XP. The XP program is on the backup CDs, which is usually the computer's special brand, so the new and different computer won't recognize/run it.

So where am I supposed to get a legal copy of XP for the downgrade(which is really an upgrade)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

You would need to purchase a retail copy of XP from a store like Best Buy or other similar store.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

There are also some PC sellers - I believe Dell is one - that will give you a choice of Vista or XP, whichever you want on your new system.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, buying one was not really what I was looking for...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If I buy a computer with Vista, I assume I should be entitled or able to use the earlier version, which is XP. I thought maybe I can ask MS to send me one or something and I only pay for shipping...
    Yes, I knew of newegg, where they have dozens of computers with XP on them.

P.S.: I also heard that there can be certain issues whith drivers if I have a new computer and I install XP on it, so I guess the best is still sticking with XP coming on the new computer. Personally I don't want to own Vista until SP1...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  9. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

OEM copies are cheaper...but remember if you change your motherboard, MS considers that a change of computers, and it won't activate. A retail copy can be transferred.

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

They are two different products...remember this is MS we are talking about..they are money grubbing whores.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I've reactivated Home OEM after a motherboard swap. Just call, tell them the MB died, and that this copy is only installed on one computer, and they give you the new number.

Sysprep doesn't work on Home as it does on XP Pro. But the last time I swapped a mobo on a Home OEM system, I ran it, and it reset the activation. I expected to have to call for re-activation, but I never had to.

12. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

13. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

That's cool...I was just parroting what the MS rep told us at work. I guess it's another scare tactic thats BS. Come to think of it the machine I'm working on right now uses a Dell OEM copy of windows...and it's a toshiba. Never mind what I said before..buy an OEM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.