Page 1 of 17 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 331

Thread: The War on Christmas

  1. #1

    The War on Christmas

    Most liberals support atheists attack on Christmas. It seems they don't want Christ in Christmas even though it's the day most celebrate His birth.

    Arizona Governor Nixes 'Christmas' Tree: Liberal governor Janet Napolitano proclaimed it the "Holiday Tree" as she lit it. "I think we're celebrating a number of holidays" she said. Uh, no, we're not. We're celebrating Christmas. The birth of Jesus Christ. Secretary of State Jan Brewer who, like Napolitano, has her office in the Capitol tower said "It's a Christmas tree. Who are you trying to kid?"

    http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/relatedstories/213826.php

    More liberal pc bs. Why can't they just leave Christmas alone? Is Jesus Christ THAT repulsive to them?

  2. #2
    Regarding the article, I totally agree. I mean, c'mon, it's a fucking Christmas tree.

  3. #3
    more spirituality,less dogma nova900's Avatar
    Posts
    546
    Yes, the same politically correct b/s has been here in Canada for awhile regarding this. It seems to be mainly guilt ridden far left caucasian politicians who constantly agitate themselves thinking so many minorities are offended over Christmas related issues when in fact very few are.

  4. #4
    until the end of the world greenberg's Avatar
    Posts
    3,811
    In socialist and communist countries, they had the new-year's tree, set up on December 30 or 31.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nova900 View Post
    Yes, the same politically correct b/s has been here in Canada for awhile regarding this. It seems to be mainly guilt ridden far left caucasian politicians who constantly agitate themselves thinking so many minorities are offended over Christmas related issues when in fact very few are.
    Right. And you don't see Christians going after atheists' holidays. Or Kwanza. Or Hanukkah. Or Ramadan. Or Cinco de Mayo. Or Black History Month. Or whatever......

  6. #6
    A..atheists have holidays?!

    Jesus, all the celebrating I could've been doing if I'd only known.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    Most liberals support atheists attack on Christmas. It seems they don't want Christ in Christmas even though it's the day most celebrate His birth.

    Arizona Governor Nixes 'Christmas' Tree: Liberal governor Janet Napolitano proclaimed it the "Holiday Tree" as she lit it. "I think we're celebrating a number of holidays" she said. Uh, no, we're not. We're celebrating Christmas. The birth of Jesus Christ. Secretary of State Jan Brewer who, like Napolitano, has her office in the Capitol tower said "It's a Christmas tree. Who are you trying to kid?"

    http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/relatedstories/213826.php

    More liberal pc bs. Why can't they just leave Christmas alone? Is Jesus Christ THAT repulsive to them?
    Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus...Jer 10:3-5 (KJV)
    It was a pagan festival mentioned in the OT...

  8. #8
    Well it certainly has something to do with Jesus, even if that something is an invention of certain Christians. But yes, it's wholly irrelevant to Christianity, and I believe sandy has agreed to this in a different thread.

  9. #9
    Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Posts
    6,943
    Sandy, on this one, I'm going to have to agree with you. I despise the term "holiday" for a substitute for "Christmas" and refuse to use it.

    I can't stand the "PC" culture...is anyone really offended by the use of the word "Christmas"? If they are really worried about offending others of different religions, then don't put up a tree at all. Calling it a "holiday" tree isn't going to change anything...except making themselves feel a little better for being so "sensitive" to the beliefs of others.

    They should all get a lump of coal in their stockings.

  10. #10
    Valued Senior Member Carcano's Avatar
    Posts
    6,788
    Trees have nothing to do with Jesus.

    The 25th of december has nothing to do with Jesus.

    Arguably, even Christianity has nothing to do with Jesus.

    Heck...even the name Jesus has nothing to do with Jesus!

  11. #11
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    1,887
    Christmas trees are a terrible use of the land. (there are worse uses) A monocrop, not a diverse ecosystem. And organic matter sliding into landfills, mostly, and not back in the soil. It is a coopted pagan symbol, part of PR, and certainly nothing Jesus suggested.
    And when the governor said 'we' she wasn't referring to you, Sandy. You can offend or alienate as many people as you like. You don't represent everyone. If you think PC speech coming from politicians mouths is only created by the left you are more naive than I thought.

    Has anyone noticed how for more than a decade it is not PC to be a liberal? How about how it's not PC to be seen as 'not tough on crime' or 'supporting our troops' - even when this latter actually means keeping them in harm's way?

    The Right Wing PC control of language is just as strong as the Left Wing. Only the RW does not notice this because they think their opinions are facts so they are simply describing the way things are. So punishing anyone who uses the wrong RW PC language is not seen as control.

  12. #12
    To Christians, CHRISTmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. For everyone else it's about Santa, toys, gifts, and secular cr@p.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Carcano View Post
    Trees have nothing to do with Jesus.

    The 25th of december has nothing to do with Jesus.

    Arguably, even Christianity has nothing to do with Jesus.

    Heck...even the name Jesus has nothing to do with Jesus!
    Sorry, Carcano but you are wrong.

    December 25th has a lot to do with Jesus.

    The fact that the date was used because it coincided with a pagan festival already in place does not diminish the importance of Christmas to Christians. We all know why the date was chosen so there is no need to go into that but it is not the date that is important but the idea that Christians are celebrating the birth of Jesus, the Christ. Christmas could be celebrated on July twenty first and it would still be Christmas. It would still have everything to do with Jesus. It would have everything to do with him because the day would be set aside by Christians to remember his birth. That is why December 25th has everything to do with Jesus. It may not be the day he was actually born but it is the day Christians set aside to commemorate that birth.


    As a Christian I have no trouble wishing my Jewish friends a Happy Channukah. In fact I just mailed twenty two Channukah cards yesterday. When I see my Jewish friends at the Christmas party tonight (yes, they attend a Christmas party) I will wish them Happy Channukah. I will not say Happy Holidays. It is really a bit nasty to refuse to wish someone the joy of their particular holiday. You need not celebrate it but to deny others even the acknowledgement that it exist is really small minded and petty.

  14. #14
    Caput gerat lupinum GeoffP's Avatar
    Posts
    20,578
    Quote Originally Posted by ashura View Post
    A..atheists have holidays?!

    Jesus, all the celebrating I could've been doing if I'd only known.
    Actually I did know a prof who used to celebrate Darwin's birthday. He'd invite everyone around and there'd be a party. I considered it my duty of personal fitness to come, eat all his free food and then leave. As a good Darwinist, I could do nothing less, praise him.

  15. #15
    My kid's schools put up Christmas trees. If anyone tries to throw a fit about it, this atheist will come unglued. I understand about a nativity, but not a Christmas tree.

    And I wish my Jewish friends Merry Christmas. They wish me Happy Channukah. I don't wish them Happy Channukah because I know nothing about it. I might as well be wishing them Happy Bastille Day.

  16. #16
    Caput gerat lupinum GeoffP's Avatar
    Posts
    20,578
    As for the co-option: I seem to recall an explicit encyclical commanding missionaries to destroy pagan idols and adopt their symbols to Christian usage.

  17. #17
    For me Christmas time is just a great holiday that most of the UK enjoy, whether they are Christian or not. If Christians want it to be a religious holiday then so be it, but I don't really care what people call it.
    Call it the Winterval, Festive Season, whatever!!!

  18. #18
    Encephaloid Martini (Q)'s Avatar
    Posts
    19,057
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    Most liberals support atheists attack on Christmas. It seems they don't want Christ in Christmas even though it's the day most celebrate His birth.
    Most are sick and tired of Christians ramming their beliefs down everyones throat. The myth of Jesus' virgin birth is taught as fact in this regard and is most prevalent during Christmas, especially with Nativity scenes littering the landscape. If it were shown as the fairy tale it is, it would probably be more accepted. Unfortunately, for Christians, it would also devastate the very foundations of their cult.

    And that is the REAL reason Christians are upset.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by (Q) View Post
    Most are sick and tired of Christians ramming their beliefs down everyones throat. The myth of Jesus' virgin birth is taught as fact in this regard and is most prevalent during Christmas, especially with Nativity scenes littering the landscape. If it were shown as the fairy tale it is, it would probably be more accepted. Unfortunately, for Christians, it would also devastate the very foundations of their cult.

    And that is the REAL reason Christians are upset.
    When is the last time a Christian rammed his/her beliefs down your throat? You aren't angry about them ramming their beliefs down your throat, you are angry about them being public with their belief. You want them to hide the fact that they are Christians and not dare mention it in public.

    To you it is a fairy tale. To me and hundreds of millions of others it is their religion.

    What a bitter person you are.

  20. #20
    Caught in the machine shichimenshyo's Avatar
    Posts
    5,111
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    To Christians, CHRISTmas is about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. For everyone else it's about Santa, toys, gifts, and secular cr@p.
    Do christians not buy presents and sing christmas carols? For most people who "celebrate" christmas in america..yes even christians it has something do do with the presents and santa and all that crap. So dont try to come off as all high and mighty.

Similar Threads

  1. By shorty_37 in forum Free Thoughts
    Last Post: 11-28-07, 09:16 PM
    Replies: 17
  2. By Bells in forum Free Thoughts
    Last Post: 11-12-07, 03:47 PM
    Replies: 26
  3. By lucifers angel in forum Free Thoughts
    Last Post: 11-12-07, 03:10 PM
    Replies: 11
  4. By Tiassa in forum Politics
    Last Post: 08-27-07, 07:05 PM
    Replies: 22
  5. By mountainhare in forum Art & Culture
    Last Post: 12-19-06, 12:04 PM
    Replies: 71

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •