Why has turkey (muslims) stolen & occupy cyprus, stop the occupation of cyprus!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'World Events' started by vincent, Nov 28, 2007.

1. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

http://rieas.gr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=348&Itemid=66

In the case of Cyprus, Turkey continues the illegal military occupation and colonization of the northern part of the island refusing to recognize the Republic of Cyprus. When Turkey signed in Luxemburg the EU Accession Agreement of October 3, 2005, it also undertook a legal commitment to establish normal relations with all 25 EU members, including Cyprus. After all, Cyprus is a EU member, and it is only logical that the candidate for membership, Turkey, should recognize all the members of the club, the EU, it is seeking to join.

How is it we have listened to this crap about palestine for nearly 60 years & all the bombs that go with, & all about the zionist & infidel occupation of palestine from every muslim worldwide yet, muslims have occupied cyprus & nobody cares, there are no terroist bombs no uk citizens willing to blow themselves up because there catholic brothers in north cyprus are under muslim occupation.
    Why is that?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Holy cow! doesn't Tab live in Cyprus?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

This is far more complicated than you would have us believe vincent, You're slowly turning into a propaganda bot...
    As for the situation, there are way more parties than just Turkey and Cyprus..
    Please read the wiki article first to get an idea of the massiveness of the situation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus

Yes, So turkey has human rights violations.. so does Israel.

So if cyprus really wanted to punish the turks, why not just veto their application ? Your article said they could but they didn't .. shows how much they value that land.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

"Greek Cypriots are still being prevented from returning to their homes and properties in the Turkish occupied areas"

"The result of the invasion was the creation of an internationally unrecognized Turkish Cypriot breakaway state in the areas under Turkish occupation and the displacement of over 160,000 Greek Cypriots"

From your link.......
    I am sure this must ring some bells here to whats going on in palestine & israel.
    There are direct comparisons here!!

Yet do we see the anger or terroism worldwide relating to this occupation, no we dont, & i believe the only reason is the victims are non muslims, non muslims do not bond worldwide, i have no desire to blow myself up for my catholic brothers in northern cyprus, its a UN matter as far as i am concerned, so why the hell cant 1 billion muslims see that palestine has nothing to do with them, they are not there brothers, its a UN matter.

I think this is a legitamate point, this entire forum revolves around the persecution of the palestine people, the entire world heres about palestine day in & day out, yet the same situation is going on in cyprus turkish muslims are occupying 38% of northern cyprus, they ignore the UN & occupy this land.

160,000 people displaced, cypriots denied the right to return to there homes.

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

My point still stands, If this land is so valuable to them, why did they not veto turkey's application ? The US has vetoed many resolutions on Israel, As Israel is an ally to them. Surely Cyprus has friends in the EU or at least trading partners.
    Why not cause a greek embargo ? .

As for the whole anger thing, Palestine is a symbol of resistance against the West, and mainly the US in the middle east.
    The middle east is a land of broken promises, From the British and the west in general (France, US, etc).

The UN has been discredited in the Middle east. Over 150 resolutions have been vetoed by the US in defense of Israel, So , It clearly cannot be perceived as an UN matter.

9. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

Yes thats what it is a symbol of resistance against the West, & syria or iran & alot of other arab countries & bin lid need that symbol of resistance against the West to stay in power, or they think they do, its just a pity muslims cant see there being manipulated over palestine worldwide, this matter only should involve the UN & the countries involved, it has nothing to do with a arab in the UK, most christians & catholics no nothing off the cyprus matter, and if they did they still would not care, when a billion muslims bleed as one for palestine that is a dangerous thing, they must learn to distance themselves from only muslim problems & see human problems.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Just because Muslims sympathise with the palestinians, doesn't mean that they are being manipulated. As i have stated before, Many Muslims around the world view the UN with distrust, particularly after the US invaded Iraq. An Arab in the UK, may sympathise with their plight, as he might be a refugee from a similar situation. Muslims in western countries, see the hatred and ignorance prevalent, and often want to do something about it.

11. chuuush Registered Senior Member

If Turkey had not interfered on time, we would have lived Bosnia as much as twnety years earlier, and you know what was the free world's reaction towards the muslim genocide in Bosnia, just to sit down and watch!

In our part of the world we have a saying which goes: "If you want to have a work done, do it yourself!" and reading the whole story in wiki and having learnt about the state of affairs at that particular time, I now find Turkey more than entitled and appreciated to have done that. That the whole world failed to recognize the Turkish Cypriot government is a different story.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  12. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

At least you read the Wiki article.
    What about the returning of greek cypriots, shouldn't they get the Turkey Cypriot citizenship ?

13. chuuush Registered Senior Member

A united Cyprus is still possible after so much adversity, but that will depend on both sides as well as their patrons to work with good will, and such a state should be a federal one, at least for the beginnnig. Turkey and Northern Cyprus have been taking positive steps for a few years, but EU made a big mistake by accepting the South as a member before solving the problem (an act which is in essence against the EU charters). Now the situation is very imbalanced to the benefit of the Southern state and this will automatically make the situation very similar to that of Israel-Palestine where one side only want concessions from the other without being ready to make any concessions itself. I do not believe that Southern Cyprus or Greece are less to blame for the current situation than the Northern Cyprus and Turkey.
    The refugees from both sides should of course return, but this also should be in a way not to reflame the tensions.

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Of course, I would say that the similarity ends there, As much as vincent would like us to believe, The turkish military has not carried out violent attacks similar to those carried out by the IDF, Which is why the muslim world sympathises with palestinians.

15. crabdiver Registered Member

Northern Cyprus

I think far too many people either conveniently forget or do not know why Turkey invaded Cyprus.
    It was and still is to protect Turks from the Greeks.
    Read your history, don't be inluenced by popularist rhetoric from Greek Cypriots.
    Archbishop Makarios III was a terrorist who employed another to do his dirty work-George Grivas.
    At least Nazi war criminals were brought to justice, but Cyprus still has a few running around free.
    Look at the wider picture, you'll be surprised at what you can dig up if you are interested enough.
    For the record, I am not a Turk.

16. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

What? Actually, as I'm sure S.A.M. would tell you, the Cypriots were only resisting the colonization of their lands by a foreign, imperialist, reactionary collection of war criminals.

17. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

International "politics" surrounding Turkey is getting more tragicomic by the day.

I heard Pelosi stepped down from her heroic action of "the resolution of Armenian Genocide".
    I wonder when the great American justice will strike back again.

18. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

If one day cypriots decide to put their "Cypriot" identity above all others -such as "Greek", "Muslim", "European", "Turkish"; or "Orthodox Christian"-, international forces will have no option other than leaving the island or eradicating the entire population.

Since Cypriots have no intention to practice this identity, these alternatives will remain as a distant possibilities. Cypriots do not demand their island for themselves; they can not imagine "being only a Cypriot" without mentioning a sort of belonging to a "superior" identity. For this, non-cypriots will continue to shape the fate of this island.

19. Bells Staff Member

Thread necromancy = bad.

20. countezero Registered Senior Member

Exactly.

21. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I don't think a bump is necessarily a bad thing: So long as the revival of a thread is timely (a notable current event) and topical (an extension of the original discussion) then it's constructive. I don't see that happening here.

Moderator Note: Unless this thread is soon redeemed on these points, I am inclined to close it. I encourage those who consider initiating new threads to use the Search link above right, and to continue any of our more insightful previous conversations with new on-topic discussion whenever possible.

22. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I think this thread began by trying to show the example of a Christian country being occupied by an aggressor power and Christians worldwide not reacting against this state of affairs as compared to Palestine/Israel. Well the reason for that is simple, all so called Christian countries are secular; there is no Christian solidarity, no Christian Jihad. End of story.

The Cyprus story is complex, rooted in the Ottoman occupation, British annexation and colonisation, the ethnic cleansing of Greeks from Constantinople and Western Turkey, the Greek Cypriot rise against British colonisation, the cold war and the USA. It's a mash up of factors going back more than 100 years far too complicated for me to try and explain in the context of this thread and my knowledge is not enough to do it justice.

However, there is something I'd like to clarify and that is, when Cyprus joined the EU all Cypriots including Greeks, Turks, Armenians and Levant Catholics became Europeans. They all have the automatic right to a Cypriot (EU) passport, which entitles them complete freedom of movement and entitlement of legitimate employment within Europe.

Also, all health care services and National Insurance services in the Cyprus Republic are available to all Cypriots whether they live in the free areas or in the occupied areas. People not entitled to these services are the occupying army and the mainland Turks that were brought over after 1974 to tilt the demographic balance of the Turkish Cypriot population, as many Turkish Cypriots actually left the North.

23. michalis Registered Member

Are you guys serious? read your history before making up your mind

cyprus has been greek way before any turks even came to europe, any turkish 'cypriots' came here by force, courtecy of the bloodthirsty landstealing ottoman empire

offcoarse greeks dont like turks, for the last 500 years turks have enslaved our people, committed genocide on us (and not only us) and have systematically stolen our land, resources, and history, and they are still trying to take more

turkey doesnt care about the turkish cypriots, they invaded because cyprus is a strategic location

and for the guy that asked why cyprus didnt veto turkey's talks with the EU, its because turkish accession into the EU is probably the only card cyprus has to motivate turkey to leave cyprus