Engineering or Physics?

Discussion in 'Architecture & Engineering' started by Sleepless, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Sleepless Registered Member

I am at a point where I have to decide which undergraduate program I should join. Does anyone have any opinions as to what would be better in the future, whethere I do a BA/BS degree in Physics (I really enjoy astrophysics, which I can take up as an option) or would an undergraduate degree in engineering be more worthwhile? Also if i do an undergraduate degree in physics can I apply for a graduate degree in engineering? Ive done my Advanced levels (Physics, Chem and Bio), is math compulsory? Like some universities in the UK will take physics for substitution and allow you to take math additional classes. Oh yeah Im a US citizen living abroad, do I apply as an international student then? I would really appreciate any replies/suggestions, thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I think an undergrad degree in engineering would be more worthwhile, because you can probably do more with it after you graduate.

Most certainly.

For that, it would depend on the curriculum, so you would have to contact a specific school and ask them.

That's something you would have to call them about too (or email them).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm surprised that you don't have a strong preference. It's not like you're choosing between physics and math, which have a lot of overlap, or sociology and anthropology. Physics is a "hard science" and deals heavily in the theoretical. Engineering is the practical application of science to the real world. Do you like to deal with theories or do you like to work with practical ideas? Sure, you'll have to learn a lot of the same things, but the emphasis is different and your goals as a professional in either of those fields will be different.

What kind of engineering? There's electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil, computer, nuclear, biological, etc. If they're going to give you a degree in "generic" engineering with no specialty, I would not think highly of the university, or at least not that particular program.

The particular kind of engineering matters a lot. Chemical engineering is a nightmare for the undedicated. You have to take all the ass-whipping chemistry courses and all the ass-whipping engineering courses. Electrical engineering is probably the easiest transition for someone who is on the borderline of being a physicist, since it involves a lot of complicated math. I know zip about nuclear engineering but my hunch is that it may have that quality too. Mechanical engineering might be a good choice because it involves a lot of physics.

Do you lust after the theoretical or do you like to see things work? That's a rough definition of the difference between a scientist and an engineer.

Don't take this decision lightly, and I would caution you not to base it too much on potential income. If one of your choices were to be a poet, then of course I'd have to be a good elder to you and point out that all but a handful of poets have to have day jobs doing something else. But people who are good at physics and people who are good at engineering both make good incomes. Go for a career that you will find fulfilling. Above poverty level, money is only a mediocre substitute for job satisfaction. You will probably spend more time working than you will spend with your spouse, so make a very careful choice.

Many American universities will allow a person with a B.S. in physics to enter the graduate program in one or more engineering disciplines. You will probably have to take some extra courses to make up for the lack of background, obviously. Nonetheless if it were me I'd find it much more daunting to have a bachelor's in engineering and try to make up the missing courses in physics!

As for math, physics requires a lot of it, and good goddess astrophysics is almost pure math. So does engineering. If you want to be a scientist without being a math whiz, you'd better stick to biology.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sleepless Registered Member

I have a strong preference for physics, I enjoy speculating about theoretical physics, but I dont see what I would do afterwards, I dont look forward to teaching...whats the scope? Im also interested in civil engineering but being a female, theres hardly any opportunity for me here. Not sure about the States. Can you please name a few universities who accept a BS in physics for their graduate program, please? As for math, I can take that up rite now and appear for the May/June 08 examination session, so thats not a problem. And whats the difference between a BA and BS degree? Biology isnt bad, but its not something I look forward to studying.

8. draqon Banned Banned

than choose physics major

dont go with the money...go with the heart

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In the USA you'd probably get job preference through Affirmative Discrimination. There are plenty of women at construction sites doing the physical work.
    Look into the government schools. University of [state name] (usually the first tier) or [state name] State University (usually the second tier). In a large state like California there are probably twenty campuses of each.
    B.A. is just Bachelor of Arts and B.S. is just Bachelor of science. (Master's degrees are also either M.A. or M.S., and two-year colleges give A.A. and A.S. "Associate" degrees.) There is absolutely no difference, they just pick a title that fits the discipline, e.g. Bachelor of Arts in History but Bachelor of Science in Biology. There's no consistency: I have a B.S. in Accounting but many schools give B.A. Same for psychology and many other courses.

10. Sleepless Registered Member

Thanks! Appreciate the help. Ive decided Ill do a BS in physics, and then maybe do engineering.

11. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Some schools offer BOTH a B.A. and a B.S. in certain subjects, and in those cases there is a big difference. The B.A. is typically a much easier version, without most of the math and science prerequisites.