Getting Ready for Christmas

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by shorty_37, Nov 26, 2007.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I just wondered when do you guys start decorating for Christmas.

If you put lights up outside when do you turn them on?

When do you put your Christmas Tree up?

My neighbours already put their Christmas Trees up in the window.
    Personally I think it is too early.

I put the Christmas lights up outside, but won't turn them on till December.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

This weekend, all the Thanksgiving decorations came down, and the Christmas ones are still in the process of going up. The tree won't be bought til 2 weeks before xmas.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah I keep forgetting about Thanksgiving just being over for some.

I am going to lug mine out of the basement I think this weekend and start.

I have a fake tree. I have only had a real one 2 times in my life. I found it to be a mess. I also found it didn't hold the decorations as well, everything drooped.

I really can't beleive it is almost December. November seemed to fly by. I feel like it was just Halloween!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

This weekend, we took all the decorations down, including the flag and outside decoration, table cloth, center pieces, candles, etc.
    We have put up the nativities (I have a collection), stockings, table cloth, center piece, outside decorations, and candles.
    I just have to put up the inside decorations (mainly all Coca-Cola Santa's), the outside flag, and the tree. Its ALWAYS a real tree. And the ornaments are all Shiney Brite or one's the kids made. We string popcorn and cranberries. (We have to keep an eye on the kids, they eat the cranberries.) and hang candy canes. I buy Xmas candy and ribbon candy (my favorite). And on Dec 1st the kids get out their advent calendars which I but at Wal-Mart every year.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Oh, I also get out my tree topper collection. My husband put some dowels on a board and they line the windows.

9. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I helped the gparents bring decorations down from the attic yesterday. Decorations should be up by the time I'm home.

I don't put anything up in the dorm. It'd just be something else I had to pack up to bring here and home, so I don't bother with it.

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I already bought the chocolate advent calendars. I had to hide them till Dec 1st.
    Those Shiney Brite look like the OLD ornaments I had as a kid...lol The kids help decortate the tree, but I gotta say I am kinda particular

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I like things just right.
    My tree is pretty much just red and gold. The stuff the kids have made go on a separate tree, not to mess up my theme lol
    Do you put up a flag for everything ?

We should have a thread closer to Christmas for everyone to post a picture of their tree. We could see how different ppl decorate them.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I was never particular til I let the hubby and kids put the garland on. I have never seen a tree wrapped so tight.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So I showed them how to do it. The hubby puts on the lights. Hubby and kids put on garland and popcorn strand. Kids and I put on decorations.
    We used to put on tinsel when I was a kid. My mom was brutal about how to put it on. It was one tradition I did not carry on. I freaking HATE tinsel!
    And the ornaments are some of the ones my Dad had as a kid. I collected them before he died and I got one of a set after he died. (The set was his first baby one) I have been hitting the antique stores, putting the collection back together. No theme, unless its antique :shrug:

12. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i don't see the point its not like christmas means anything anymore. it is to comcialized

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I would have agreed at one point in my life. Now I have kids and the whole meaning comes back.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

My neighbor leaves their outdoor house decorations up all year long. Then

all they do is turn them on and.... walla! They turn them on the first week

of December if I recall. It saves them allot of work for they do have a bunch

of lights outside.

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well one yr niezsche broke the angel I had for like 10 yrs. Everytime we pull out the new one the youngest one always says; ___________ remember when you broke moms angel LOL. OMG ICICLE TINSEL we had that as a kid, I would NEVER put that on my tree. I think it looks so tacky.

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Some of my neighbours leave them on the house all yr round too. If they are on the house I don't mind that I guess. What I hate though is one neighbour down the street lets them fall halfway off and just leaves them hanging like that (in the summer)

I put mine in the trees so I put them up and take them down.

17. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I know exactly how you feel. I always wanted my grandmother to put tinsel on the tree, and when she finally did, she was so strict about it I ended up hating it. Eff tinsel.

18. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i put mine up on the first weekend of december, then take them down again on the second week of january

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

That is pretty much what I do too.
    It is actually a lot of work!

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

As a bachelor who lives alone...the only Christmas decorations in my house are a few empties of Coke with Santa Claus on the can.

But I tell you what...my mom can decorate the fuck out of a house for Christmas. I'm not sure what she has planned for this year...but I'll try to post some pics. I'm sure you shorty would particularly like what my mom does.

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Anybody here do the January 5th Christmas ?

My childhood neighbors put up the tree on Christmas Eve (the 24th, for them) after the kids went to bed, and so the kids came down on Christmas morning and found a lit up tree and presents magically appearing since the day before. They took it down on 12th Night.

Northerners have snow. Southerners seem to have more of the old "12 Days" routine still working for them. Which is more important ?