Racism Worldwide

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Mickmeister, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Out of curiosity, I started researching racism in other parts of the world and was surprised to find that it exists much more predominantly than is now in the US. For instance, in Russia, there are several reports on how bad racism really is in that country. In Europe, there is racism against gypsies. In Mexico, there is racism against the dark skinned Indians and Mexican-Africans. These are just a few of the many countries experiencing racism. So with racism being worldwide, why is the US singled out and always at the forefront of the news on this topic?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandy Banned Banned

Because EVERYTHING's our fault. You didn't know this?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Plus, we're easier to attack. We don't saw people's heads off for disagreeing with/slandering us.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

its because we place a greater concern on not being bigots than other contries that we get singled out

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. peta9 Registered Senior Member

when you are a leader, you get held to a higher standard. it's an honor actually to strive to be better and excellent and be an example for others.

8. takethewarhome midnatt klarhet Registered Senior Member

Hate doesn't know political boundaries and that's all there is to it.

There's always been the 'us and them' mentality..

9. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Sometime in my life it became ugly to look dark, I didn't get an email notification or a fax. So What's a guy to do, pray everyday to become white or actually do something about it like Michael Jackson did. The U.S gets the bigest rap about racism because they are supposed to be the unofficial forerunners of racial appreciation. I admire most racists because we share something in common, we both dream of a world where black people will live in Black countries and white people will live in white countries. But the difference between me and them is that I wish this out of respect for uniformity and naturality, not out of racism, and I'm perfectly fine with the way things are. If American white men are tired of dark people why don't they go to some EUROPEAN COUNTRY with very little to no black population? Then we'll see just how happy they are. They think watching black men slamming basketball down into the shoots is not a previlage. The whole thing is hipocracy, Southern United States is supposed to be the most christianed part of the country but was the last to abolish slavery and discrimination. Sometimes I wonna commit mass suicide with all the black people in the world so we can leave the world to you fuckers world over. For people who are supposed to be smart, how can you hate and fear others so much.

10. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

First of all, I'm not really sure that it is. Do you have something to support this or was this just some vague feeling you had? Which news outlets do you refer to?

11. Bells Staff Member

To hazard a guess, it could be because the US holds itself out as the bastion of freedom and equality, when in reality it is not. It is quick to point out the racism in other countries, while turning a blind eye to the racism that exists within its own borders. The US is not alone in this of course, but they are the most vocal.

12. mountainhare Banned Banned

Bells:
    Actually, the U.S.A is a bastion of freedom and equality.

Blatantly false.

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Why would that surprise you? And that's not (just) a rhetorical question; I'm very much interested in the basis for your preconceptions.

Because, unlike most other countries, we consider racism to be bad and make efforts to get rid of it, and also beat ourselves up over it. The focus on America has to do not so much with racism per se, but with how our society lives up to our stated vision of it (melting pot, land of opportunity, etc.). Racism in most other countries is expected (and even encouraged), so it's not exactly headline material that racism exists there.

Also, any other factors aside, America is singled out for scrutiny in almost every area, owing to our immense presence and influence.

14. mountainhare Banned Banned

Precisely, quad.

15. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I'm still very interested in the preconception that America is singled out for racism, but apparently I'm the only one who has not noticed this...

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Fair enough, but I doubt anyone here is about to undertake the comprehensive survey of worldwide media coverage that would be required to seriously answer this question. Suffice it to say that people seem to feel that America gets a lot more attention on this front (although this does not necessarily mean it's the case).

17. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Of course, I don't want a survey. Something simple like a non-American like mountainhare (Australian I believe) telling us if his non-American media focuses on it would help.

I have a hunch most people in this thread primarily use American media.

18. mountainhare Banned Banned

When the issue of racism is mentioned on the news/talk shows, it is more often than not in reference to white racism against non-whites. Usually the groups of whites being focused on are either Australian (typically, given that Australian news will cover Australian issues) and American.

But it's not just 'the news', but also our public education system and the general social attitude. When one brings up the issue of 'racism', discussions inevitably fly to the United States treatment of the blacks.

For example, I wasn't aware of the caste system in India until a few months ago. I wasn't aware of the bitter history between the Japanese and Chinese until I watched 'Fist of Fury'. Yet I have been aware of America's history regarding the blacks since primary school. It's been drummed into us in school, in politics, on the news, on talk shows, and in history books. And to be honest, I'm tired of hearing about it.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Probably because they have never had a Native American, black or woman president and also US foreign policy and trade practices are highly racist.

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

That's awful! That must really hurt!

21. John99 Banned Banned

The dont even sell Japanese cars in U.S neither.

22. John99 Banned Banned

Their smuggled in.

23. mountainhare Banned Banned

S.A.M:
    It's a hard nut life, huh?