View Poll Results: Which universe would win?

Voters
670. This poll is closed
  • Star Trek

227 33.88%
  • Star Wars

285 42.54%
  • Spaceballs

51 7.61%
  • Farscape

14 2.09%
  • Dune

54 8.06%
  • Stargate

39 5.82%

Thread: Star Wars vs Star Trek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVmhjBghZ4&NR=1

awesome battle from ds9. it gives a excellent view on howmany ships the feds have.
    didn't knew there was this massive battles lol.
    but if you look closely there are several things that contradict the power some of trekkies claim.

you see three tiny fighters lauch aprox 6 torps and taking a battlecruiser down.
    some federation ships get blown up after 1 or 2 phaser hits.
    the defiant gets a real good pownding.(and isn't hit that much)

all on all i find it a really impressive battle.

Purveyor of Truth and Fact Kittamaru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vasago View Post

awesome battle from ds9. it gives a excellent view on howmany ships the feds have.
    but if you look closely there are several things that contradict the power some of trekkies claim.

you see three tiny fighters lauch aprox 6 torps and taking a battlecruiser down.

You have to remember - the weaponst the Dominion used bypassed Federation shields at the time, so many Federation ships didn't even use their shields, instead dumping that power into their weapons arrays

Also - that single movie is from, I believe, 3 or 4 different episodes of DS9... so those ships were taking quite a beating With the Feds/Romulans/Klingons working shields down all power to weapons and engines and the JemHadar, Cardassians, and Dominion working with weapons that, literally, bypassed standard shields... heh, it was an intense battle
    Last edited by Kittamaru; 04-05-09 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
    No kidding. In Conundrum TNG the Enterprise split it's phaser array into 6 to 7 different beams and completely vaporized a group of fighters.
    well...i stand corrected

or maybe, i stand before you, a broken and miserable man, hard to tell anymore.

You SW fans will love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnQW3X4Jh-A

That was....intresting.

Registered Senior Member antaran_1979's Avatar
    yes but those outdated weapons did the job didn't they lol

the DS is not designed to fight ships, its a planetkiller, and those aren't going fast anywhere do they. and the ds isn't the only thing that has a superlaser.
    yep. sure did. even lasers could cut the hull eventually if the shield was down for some reason

the ds1 is 120km and the ds2 160 ds1 recharge superlaser = 1 hour
    ds2 reecharge 2minutes the exhaust vest was replaced by millimeterwide hat dispersion ducts;

ds1 15000 tl's and 700 tractorbeams (able to even trap a ssd) 7000tie's
    ds2 35000 tl's 1000 tractorbeams and if finished 12000tie's

these are the official Lucasfilm numbers
    Emperials never do anything small do they ?

Quote Originally Posted by fedr808 View Post
    Antaran:
    I made no claims that i remember that my shields were weak against lasers, theyre actually pretty good at taking a beating, but if you have an enemy battleship with tons of laser banks, than you are screwed.
    i thought you said something about shields not being used in WH because they are generaly weaker then the weapons used, so the ships emphasize armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    Er, I wouldn't say the most agile... I'd wager most cruisers and lower could easily outmaneuver the falcon
    the Defiant or the Prometheus fragments maybe, but not the Akiras or the Excelsiors.

I still contend the DS would never get into range... fleet or no fleet. And if it did, they'd have Starfleet HQ throwing torpedoes and phaser blasts at them by the boatload.
    if it has enough cover, then why not? it is slow in sublight but all it needs is a defence screen of other ships for point defence/peremeter deffence purposes.

Yeah, but remember - PHASERS work by causing the atomic structure of the target material to, literally, destabilize and explode.
    true, but they are not allpowerfull and the disruption effect is relatively localised unless used at full power. and when used at full power they tend to cause wide crater type of damage instead of drilling effect. besides some high density materials provide good protection against the Nadion effect.

I know, but relativistic speed is a good indication of sublight agility Faster you can accelerate, faster you can turn, right?
    but the cost of SIF power alocation. the faster you move AND the harder you turn, the more stress goes on the SIF fields and power is used on them as oposed to alocating full power to shields and weapons. in other words it will always be a trade off.

Now, compare that to the 2 million KM + effective range of Federation Class 12 phasers (sovereign class) and torpedoes
    dude, phasers are diffinitly sublight, so anything above 300000km is useless. besides i don't think they go beyond 10-50000km at the very best. tactical use against heavy targets is probably waaaaay smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    But the calculation and analysis?
    It's what I do for a living, among other things
    i have a colegue here, greetings

Anyways, why doesnt a frigate cruiser or Battlebarge merely just ram a fed ship? They'd come out on top as far as hull durability goes, and probly even shields as well.
    that DS9 video compilation showed that some ships are easier to ram then others. ramming Klingons, that have their weapons concentrated on their fore, is possible from 35+/- degrees vertical. however, raming fed ships requires previous disabeling. most ships have full phaser coverage, and small light and agile ships simply won't get through.

It was... look at the screencap - it was only about 4 times it's own diameter from the rebel base...
    dude. tactical interfaces don't count as realistic base for distance mesurements

shusj, or I'll send in the ewoks
    eek the mighty Ewoks of doom !!!
    i swear dude, those nasty buggers could take over the galaxy if only they had FTL ability

And heres some simple logic for why SM shields are more powerful.
    1.) a terminator suit was originally made and used to maintain a plasma core reactor for extended periods of time.
    2.) As we all know those kinds of reactors can get several times hotter than a star (theres even a modern day one i heard about that get 3 times the temperature)
    3.) Ergo, the shields on terminator armor can withstand a stars temperature for very long pieces of time. And than some
    4.) Ergo, the many times more massive and powerful shields on the battleships can withstand being in a star for good amounts of time.

dude, if you take that into acount then ST shields win hands down. UFP shields evolved from SIF in containement fields used to controll the matter-anti matter reaction in warp cores. this process outwights fusion in enrgy release by at least 10 times

Problem is, Lasers have a theoretical max... it's basic physics. So do Plasma based weapons... Phasers, though, work on a completely different effect
    lasers do, since photons cary predifined amounts of energy, the absolute maximum being the gamma spectrum.

yeah, i recall battles in which battlecruisers have been destroyed by a single shot (torpedo) in ST, and in SW there are scenes where ISD gets poped by a single HTL bolt. i guess it cheaper that way

You have to remember - the weaponst the Dominion used bypassed Federation shields at the time, so many Federation ships didn't even use their shields, instead dumping that power into their weapons arrays
    in some scenes yes. but some of the battles happened after SF developed imunity to the polaron shield piercing efect.