View Poll Results: Which universe would win?

Voters
670. This poll is closed
  • Star Trek

    227 33.88%
  • Star Wars

    285 42.54%
  • Spaceballs

    51 7.61%
  • Farscape

    14 2.09%
  • Dune

    54 8.06%
  • Stargate

    39 5.82%

Thread: Star Wars vs Star Trek

  1. #12961
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by MjolnirPants View Post
    Well, it's a bit of a given that arguing tech worth between the two universes would yeild Trek as the winner.
    But regardless: By winning, I meant "getting more votes."
    Anyone who voted for Wars is not worthy of calling him or herself a geek.
    Hehe, I wonder what kinda firestorm that comment'll set off...
    A debate is not democratic, it's who has the better argument.

  2. #12962
    gasp. we made it to 649..

  3. #12963
    Heute der Enteteich... Oli's Avatar
    Posts
    11,890
    Quote Originally Posted by MjolnirPants View Post
    Anyone who voted for Wars is not worthy of calling him or herself a geek.
    Hehe, I wonder what kinda firestorm that comment'll set off...
    Firestorm?
    Nah, we're above that sort of thing.

    DIE, FREAK!!


  4. #12964
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Athens View Post
    A debate is not democratic, it's who has the better argument.
    Indeed, and Trek wins in that regards. It's clear that Wars has more fans, however. No geekiness is required to be a fan of Wars. Which is a shame, cause we all know that while the geeks might not get the girl, they always get the coolest toys. (Even in the Wars universe: Han got Leia, but Luke got the lightsaber.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Oli View Post
    Firestorm?
    Nah, we're above that sort of thing.

    DIE, FREAK!!

    hehehehehe.
    It get's worse, however....
    GREEDO SHOT FIRST!!!

    (now I think I've commited heresy...)

  5. #12965
    I'm so tempted to spam this forum with posts trying to get to 650.. But I guess I'd be banned.

    Oh well.

    Six-Fifty!,Six-Fifty!,Six-Fifty!.

  6. #12966
    Valued Senior Member desi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,616
    I go with Star Wars because of the Jedi. Otherwise I'd say they're equal. I don't think even Captain Kirk could do much against the Force.

  7. #12967
    Registered Senior Member
    Posts
    248
    I don't think even Captain Kirk could do much against the Force.
    If he was injected with a certain high power compound from a certain planet then all bets are off.


  8. #12968
    That which cannot be known Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Montec View Post
    If he was injected with a certain high power compound from a certain planet then all bets are off.

    You want Jedi?

    Q...

    Q: You pathetic creature, calling yourself a sith lord...

    Sith Lord: DIE!!! *Force Storm*

    Q: Uh... buh? *encapsulates force storm in a snowglobe* Cool... *looks at Sith Lord

    Sith Lord: DIEEEE! *lots of force lightning*

    Q: Oh for pete's sake *snaps fingers and the Sith Lord finds himself on the wrong end of an event horizon*

  9. #12969
    I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Enterprise-D's Avatar
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
    The bestTITAN size ship has to be the Super Star Destroyer.
    Best Bad Guy ship would be the Bird of Prey.
    I disagree, the best villian ship has gotta be the Romulan Warbird (D'Deridex class). It demands immediate attention when it decloaks, outguns a Galaxy Class and just looks like sleek latent destruction


    Quote Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
    Do you think that Klingons will ever get rid of the bird of prey?
    Probably not, because Klingons (as they're written anyway) love to win a battle against the odds. Using only a small and highly manoevrable ship to fight a superior enemy is exactly the kind of 'honour' the Klingon psyche chases.

  10. #12970
    That which cannot be known Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,948
    Negative... best villain ship - Scimitar.

    Perfect cloak, undetectable, and absolutely bristling!

  11. #12971
    Registered Senior Member antaran_1979's Avatar
    Posts
    1,447
    don't know, the Scimitar was a bit over the top. it made no sence what so ever to me. but then again i did not like nemesis much.

    to the biggest bad is allways V'Ger. that thing had a force field of such magnitude that it formed a nebula of interstellar mater over 52 AUs in diameter (in the original release of the movie) and the knowlidge to ascend to godhood.

  12. #12972
    That which cannot be known Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,948
    eh... true... but in the end it was just the Voyager probe from Earth... lol.

    Dyson Sphere = Ultimate Ship *grins* Open her up, surround the enemy fleet, and close it up. Now what'll they do?

  13. #12973
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Hmmmm... Star Trek Nemesis was on AMC last night. Interesting. Not very common for a movie that failed at the box office to be on AMC.

  14. #12974
    I like spaceballs.

  15. #12975
    Quote Originally Posted by antaran_1979 View Post
    don't know, the Scimitar was a bit over the top. it made no sence what so ever to me. but then again i did not like nemesis much.


    You're not the only one. I thought it kool at first...but the movie killed it.
    When it out ran the Enterprise I couldn't decide if the Enterprise was suckier than I had originally though or was the Scimitar just alittle cool...


    to the biggest bad is allways V'Ger. that thing had a force field of such magnitude that it formed a nebula of interstellar mater over 52 AUs in diameter (in the original release of the movie) and the knowlidge to ascend to godhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise-D View Post
    I disagree, the best villian ship has gotta be the Romulan Warbird (D'Deridex class). It demands immediate attention when it decloaks, outguns a Galaxy Class and just looks like sleek latent destruction

    I would have agreed but I have to say when John Eaves said it was a bit 80's in Design...I thought he was wrong...but now I'm begining to think he's right. The problem is that they've illuminated to much of the ship. It was better when they kept most of it dark and glaring in green.

  16. #12976
    That which cannot be known Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,948
    The scimitar also had dual warp cores if you remember (least I think it did) so it'd make sense it could outrun the E

  17. #12977
    Quote Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
    You're not the only one. I thought it kool at first...but the movie killed it.
    When it out ran the Enterprise I couldn't decide if the Enterprise was suckier than I had originally though or was the Scimitar just alittle cool...
    What's annoying is that the Federation poured every ounce of technology into the Sovereign class. We also know that Romulans warp technology is a bit behind the Federation's. And while I can buy that the Scimitar may be able -- by sheer weight of the capital investment in its technology -- to outrun a typical Star fleet vessel, I refuse to buy that the flagship of the UFP, which has every state-of-the-art piece of technology gathered from the past 20 years (and then some) poured into it, was outrun by a rather clunky Romulan war bird.

    Moreover, the fracking Scimitar didn't have shields up. It was cloaked. And while I accept that it could have some bad assed ablative armor, I just don't accept that after ten minutes of quantum torpedo, phaser and disruptor blasts (and a lot, right in a row) that it wasn't shedding material like a bread crumb trail in the woods.

    Bullocks.

    Besides, why did the torpedos only go one direction? Did they forget to make them smart enough to cruise around until they hit a non-friendly target? Are they bullets?

    Also, how hard would it be to throw a couple torpedos with something akin to GPS locater on it so that it could stick to the Scimitar's hull and ping its location.

    God I hate Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. I hope they get testicular cancer.

    ~String

  18. #12978
    That which cannot be known Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by superstring01 View Post
    What's annoying is that the Federation poured every ounce of technology into the Sovereign class. We also know that Romulans warp technology is a bit behind the Federation's. And while I can buy that the Scimitar may be able -- by sheer weight of the capital investment in its technology -- to outrun a typical Star fleet vessel, I refuse to buy that the flagship of the UFP, which has every state-of-the-art piece of technology gathered from the past 20 years (and then some) poured into it, was outrun by a rather clunky Romulan war bird.

    Moreover, the fracking Scimitar didn't have shields up. It was cloaked. And while I accept that it could have some bad assed ablative armor, I just don't accept that after ten minutes of quantum torpedo, phaser and disruptor blasts (and a lot, right in a row) that it wasn't shedding material like a bread crumb trail in the woods.

    Bullocks.

    Besides, why did the torpedos only go one direction? Did they forget to make them smart enough to cruise around until they hit a non-friendly target? Are they bullets?

    Also, how hard would it be to throw a couple torpedos with something akin to GPS locater on it so that it could stick to the Scimitar's hull and ping its location.

    God I hate Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. I hope they get testicular cancer.

    ~String
    Actually, the Scimitar did have shields up - the reason most Rommie's and Klink's can't cloak AND use shields is the amount of sheer power it takes. The Thalaron cloak was pure and they were able to keep their shields up with the cloak running, and run weapons hot, and go to maximum warp.

    The Ent-E wasn't at "maximum" warp. They were at max standard cruise (if I'm not mistaken). At true Max (pushing the core to 120%... which they can only do for 12 hours or so) the Scimitar would never have caught them... but the E wouldn't have been battle ready upon meeting the fleet.

  19. #12979
    That which cannot be known Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,948
    Also, the Ent-E is being refit with new technology (supposedly) while docked for repairs from the battle witht he Scimitar, including the new Regenerative Shielding and Ablative Armor (this is made reference to in ST: Voyager as far as timeline references)

  20. #12980
    I'm amazed at all the star trek fanwanking in here, TWScott hits the nail on the head every time, Fool from hell lives up to his name (at least the first part) and Turbolasers not = to nukes? please, need you guys be reminded that it takes over 3 thousand photon torps to equal just one shot from an Acclamators Turbolaser turret and have an accurate range more than 90 million kilometers (where as a photorp has a max range of 200,000km but only when fired at high warp) and your ships have a 15% accuracy rating from less than 10km away from each other. also Quantum torpedoes are only twice the strength of Photon torps at MOST.

    a Photon torp can effect a whole Star System? maybe but it would be a virtually unnoticeable effect.

    Voyager stated that Proton based weapons would be truly lethal, guess what, we have Proton torpedoes by the truckload.

    Star Trek obviously goes by the "Many Worlds" variation of time travel, Time Paradoxes are not an issue since different time lines do not affect one another, when a change is made in the timestream, it essentially creates a new timeline, this timeline is seperate and has no effect. for example, someone uses the Krenim temporal weapon on you, they see you disapear, you see them disapear as well, Time Travel is only useful for escaping to a time frame that you would prefer not protecting a timeline or changing it, since you cannot change your own timeline, just make a new one. another example, the future in "Endgame" still exists as an alternate timeline, as well as thousands of others that were breifly seen in the episode where worf was crossing from timeline to timeline, such as one where the Borg had invaded and the Enterprise crew (led by a wounded riker) were the few survivors of the federation.

    Borg ships never use evasive maneuvers regardless of the enemy, they are always slow and ponderous unless actively CHASING their target, the Borg would simply not be a problem for the Empire.

    Turbolasers, Blasters and Lightsabers are particle based weapons, they have no frequency and thus the Borg cannot adapt to them, besides, who needs anything more than a 20th century machine gun when dealing with drones? I'll tell you who, nobody, oh also, Federation shields are vulnerable to Particle based weaponry.

    The Imperials have extremely advanced targeting systems, but even more advanced Electronic warfare and jamming, hence the common use of Manual Targeting, the moment a federation ship gets even close to a Star Destroyer it would be as if they just flew into a mutara nebula from all the interference (if the star destroyer has it's ECM jamming active) the shields may or may not be affected however.

    Transporters can be nullified with so much as a weak inhibitor field that the imperials could easily have running all along inside their ships, or scattered with tractor beams.
    Imperials can detect cloaked ships without any problems, and even phase cloaks are affected by gravity.

    Hyperdrive is well over a 100 times faster than Quantum Slipstream drive.
    even the slowest Imperial ships have nearly twice the sublight acceleration of Federation ships, and their max speed is 0.8c while a Federation Impulse engine is maxed out at 0.25c (for no apparent reason)

    Federation officers have little knowledge of inertial physics, INCLUDING Picard, who had to look up historical documents to think up the concept of using impulse thrust then coasting on inertia to get past a minefield that is triggered by active impulse engines.

    Impulse Engines are a type of Ion Engine, they produce Ion trails
    Phasers have no explained difference from real world Lasers, their unexplained chain reaction however is unknown in it's source.

    Setting 16 on a phaser can barely vapourize a few dozen cubic inches of solid granite (Chain of Command)

    in ground warfare the Federation are even more screwed than in space, they have no LAVs, no Tanks, no Artillery, not even any support weapons and their grenades and mortars are about as effective as firecrackers (nor the battle to the strong and what you leave behind) they can't hit worth crap even if the target is within 5 meters (nor the battle to the strong, st nemesis, nearly every firefight ever seen in star trek) in fact, Stormtroopers get their shots closer to the target when they miss intentionally than the heroes of star trek do when they miss while shooting to kill,

    Ewoks are not teddy bears, need I remind you they came closer to defeating the rebellion than the empire? or do you have to watch the movie again. Endor's ground battle was an objective operation, the Ewoks drew the fire of the Stormtroopers and took far heavier casualties than the Imperials did, the imperials only lost a few squads of Stormies, 2 Speeder Bikes, 4 AT-STs (2 by traps, 2 by Chewie) AT-STs ammount up to jeeps as far as the Empire is concerned, up against an ambushing horde of hundreds or even thousands of tiny rabid baboons with Vietcong like traps and knowledge of the terrain. when the rebels destroyed the shield bunker thus completing their mission, there was no reason for the Imperials to stay, and so they retreated though most were killed in subsequent ambushes.

    do we ever see a Phaser being used to clear a room? no, have we seen times where that would have obviously saved lives? hell yes.

    Phasers have never seemed to be victorious against their arch nemesis, the packing crate. and since Battle Droids are better shots than your average redshirt, that means if the Empire cranks out CIS stuff they can win easily, since even 1% of the Battle Droid army on Geonosis would march, almost literally, all over any federation "defense".

    Durasteel, the cheif component in Starship hulls and AT-AT armour, is made up of a Carbon Neutronium alloy (among various other minerals), and at high grade is arguably even stronger than Neutronium on it's own, Transparisteel, what they use instead of glass, is only slightly weaker.
    there is also a very special type of armour that is even MORE powerful, that can punch through neutronium and thick Durasteel like tin foil.

    I love how you automatically assume the ST forces would band together, despite how it took Sisko to fool the Romulans into joining their cause, face it, most of them would join the Empire, either out of fear, respect, or both.

    The empire would not need to send many ships, so the threat of losing order back home is non-existent.

    where were all those superweapons of the week during the dominion war? oh right, they didn't have any,

    funny how you Trekkies honestly thought you were winning, denial can be an ugly thing, time to wake up and smell the Raktajino, though I doubt your fanatical fanboism will be abated by these facts, ironically enough.

    The Complete Cross Section Books and Inside the Worlds of Star Wars books specifically state how powerful Wars technology is, and how vastly superior it is to Federation tech, if you don't recognize them as admissible evidence than you are fools, ILM use them all the time for reference material, and countless concepts come from them into the films such as Slave 1's weapons loadout in Attack of the Clones, when the writer for the ICS asked what weapons were on the Slave 1, the guy working on Attack of the Clones said "you should know, you put them there." just because Star Trek Tech Manuals are non canon doesn't mean Star Wars ones are too.

    a side note, the Distribution rights for Indiana Jones are worth more than the Intellectual property rights for Star Trek, that's right, Paramount cares more about having their cut from ticket sales on Indiana Jones and their name at the start of the film and delivering it to theaters and some of the advertising, than being the primary studio for MAKING new Star Trek stuff.

    George Lucas could easily buy the rights to Star Trek if he wanted to.
    Last edited by Azron_Stoma; 08-31-08 at 12:22 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. By Fettman in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 10-18-11, 02:02 PM
    Replies: 33
  2. By USS Athens in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 03-16-10, 04:47 PM
    Replies: 291
  3. By superstring01 in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 03-11-10, 01:57 PM
    Replies: 60
  4. By Orleander in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 07-11-09, 08:33 PM
    Replies: 27
  5. By Asguard in forum Computer Science & Culture
    Last Post: 09-13-08, 02:15 AM
    Replies: 0

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •