View Poll Results: Which universe would win?

Voters
670. This poll is closed
  • Star Trek

    227 33.88%
  • Star Wars

    285 42.54%
  • Spaceballs

    51 7.61%
  • Farscape

    14 2.09%
  • Dune

    54 8.06%
  • Stargate

    39 5.82%

Thread: Star Wars vs Star Trek

  1. #10241
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Actually it fits all the pertinent facts here. it does not require any extraneous information and fits everything else. We know from other scenes in other movies that the firepower of fighters is much more impressive than the 2 kiloton estimate.
    Bullshit. The visuals show that the output of a proton torpedo wasn't better than tossing grenades at a target. There is no evidence that R2D2 even has the ability to alter the yield of a torpedo.

    Thus, your lack of evidence defeats you.


    Hell, even DarkStar credits Slave one with an excess of .8 megatons and it uses the lightest of starship energy weapons. (Jango believed in rapid fire for the beams and using missles and seismic charges for the bigger stuff.)
    Slave I is a small transport ship owned by a god damn rich bounty hunter who made it big time with a clonning deal. One would hope his equipment would be be more powerful.

  2. #10242
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Fox you are deluding yourself just a little. Star trek weaponry has not proved itslef to superior to anything except today's weaponry and even that is not completely true.

    Canon fact: Star Wars Heavy Turbo Laser 12.5 gigatons. It's canon no matter how you interpret it. Rember Lucasfilm sets canon policy, not interviews or website managers.

    Canon Fact: Enterprise D was vulnerable to 400 gigawatts of particle energy. Yes it was a 'magical' being but the crew EXPECTED 400 gigawatts to do damage. Picard EXPECTED fatalities from the damage and was suprised to only have wounded. So that negates the whole "but-it-was-magic!" arguemnt.

    Canon Fact: Enterprise-D shields was completely unable to protect the vessel from atmospheric friction.

    Canon Fact: When in the asteropid that the Pegasus was trapped, the crew was genuinely concerned that a zero-g cave in would cripple or destroy the ship. Riker commented that it would take EVERY last torpedo the ship carried to be able to destroy the asteroid when outside.

    Canon fact: The Enterpise-D warp core, one of the most powerful Starfleet ever made, was capable of 12 billion gigawatts. Even if the ship was running in low power mode and using one tenth the power of normal that still puts maximum at 120 billion gigawatts.However the engine was producing more power as the lights along the warp core were going roughly a third as fast as it does when the ship goes peddle to the metal.
    Last edited by TW Scott; 04-15-08 at 11:40 PM.

  3. #10243
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Again you are making a mistake. 90isotons of enriched ultritium sounds like a unit of measure here not an expression of power relative to TNT. If the wording is what you say than we know know an isoton is standard of measure. From the way it is desribe it might be as little as one metric ton. Though more likely considering the oddness of the ST universe it could simply be hundred tons o0r 10,000 tons, or 10,000,000 tons though if we stay with scientific notation we are talking ONE tons. Iso=One.
    Sorry, but that's a load of bullshit, we have it constantly used as a method of the yield of a weapon. The Omega Directive states this:

    KIM: "This looks like enough for a 50 isoton explosion."

    TUVOK: "Fifty-four to be exact."

    Your claim is retarded.

    Hell, even taking the 81.9 megatons as the output for a six isoton explosive, we can plainly see the UFP can make stronger explosives, such as the 136.5 megaton explosive, or the 80 isoton explosive, which would be 1,092 megatons.

    And that's all still low end. High end suggests that even the basic one isoton explosive is 88.9 megatons, and that a class six.two-five explosive can perform about 555 megatons.

  4. #10244
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellblade8 View Post
    Bullshit. The visuals show that the output of a proton torpedo wasn't better than tossing grenades at a target. There is no evidence that R2D2 even has the ability to alter the yield of a torpedo.

    Thus, your lack of evidence defeats you.
    Where was a torpedo using in the hangar. In fact where was a torpedo used in any place where we do not see either large explosion or them going down a exhaust port, while making a 90 degree turn at several thousand meters per second.


    Slave I is a small transport ship owned by a god damn rich bounty hunter who made it big time with a clonning deal. One would hope his equipment would be be more powerful.
    Some people have odd preferences. He did use concussion missiles and that nasty seismic charge, which you will note was FAR more impressive than anything Enterprise has ever deployed. He liked having his laser cannons fire as quickly as possible, rather than have pure power. It's a preference thing.
    Last edited by TW Scott; 04-15-08 at 10:16 AM.

  5. #10245
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Fox you are deluding yourself just a little. Star trek weaponry has not proved itslef to superior to anything except today's weaponry and even that is not completely true.
    Bullshit. We have at least two different calculations that puts Class VI torps within the 80-100 megaton range at least.

    Canon fact: Star Wars Heavy Turbo Laser 12.5 gigatons. It's canon no matter how you interpret it. Rember Lucasfilm sets canon policy, not interviews or website managers.
    Wow, we got you down to 12.5 huh? Guess the 200 gg was getting old? Well, not to worry, we can get you down a little further:

    [B]Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?

    Lucas: I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
    http://www.canonwars.com/weblog/2008...cas-quote.html

    Canon Fact: Enterprise D was vulnerable to 400 gigawatts of particle energy. Yes it was a 'magical' being but the crew EXPECTED 400 gigawatts to do damage. Picard EXPECTED fatalities from the damage and was suprised to only have wounded. So that negates the whole "but-it-was-magic!" arguemnt.
    Actually, given that a phaser can magically vaporize someone with less than a megawatt of energy, this isn't surprizing. That 400 could easily turn into 60,000 gigawatts, and that's assuming some other effects weren't in play.

    Furthermore, we know that they can withstand higher firepower than this. Stop being a retarded douche by cherrypicking.

    Canon Fact: Enterprise-D shields was completely unable to protect the vessel from atmospheric friction.
    In what?

    Canon Fact: Whne in the asteropid that the Pegasus was trapped, the crew was genuinely concerned that a zero-g cave in would cripple or destroy the ship. Riker commented that it would take EVERY last torpedo the ship carried to be able to escape the asteroid.
    Watch the episode again. Riker wanted to destroy the asteroid, and was panicking. He suggested they destroy it, and then pulled that calculation out of his ass, despite the fact that most of the time, he has no idea what he's talking about.

    And furthermore, being crushed by five kilimeters of rock isn't a good thing, at all.

    Canon fact: The Enterpise-D warp core, one of the most powerful Starfleet ever made, was capable of 12 billion gigawatts. Even if the ship was running in low power mode and using one tenth the power of normal that still puts maximum at 120 billion gigawatts.However the engine was producing more power as the lights along the warp core were going roughly a third as fast as it does when the ship goes peddle to the metal.
    And at most, HTL's can only put out 1.5 megatons, or 3 megatons if we're really nice.

  6. #10246
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Where was a torped using in the hangar. In fact where was a torpedo used in any place where we do not see either large explosion or them going down a exhaust port, while making a 90 degree turn at several thousand meters per second.
    Phantom Menace, where Anakin fires two proton torpedoes at the shield generators, causing an explosion you could get from a 2 kiloton handgrenade.






    Some people have odd preferences. He did use concussion missiles and that nasty seismic charge, which you will note was FAR more impressive than anything Enterprise has ever deployed. He liked having his laser cannons fire as quickly as possible, rather than have pure power. It's a preference thing.
    Does it hurt when you spit up bullshit?

  7. #10247
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    The fighters were in a hurry and to tell the truth Bravo squadron was not battle hardened. They were parade pilots mostly. They did have simulator experience, but this would actually be their first battle EVER.
    So SW fighter pilots ARE retards.

    Thanks. But it still doesn't help your position.



    Actually the droids he was firing on in the hangar were Droideka which had shield generators. Also it more than likely R2-D2 adjusted the power levels of the ships laser cannons. It is a major part of his function to preserve the fighters, ships, hangar, and the lives of the people in the hangar.
    Provide evidence that R2D2 can alter the setting on the laser cannons, and the proton torpedoes.

    As for assertion on Proton torpedoes. Movie canon proves you wrong several times over. In fact i am sure even diehard trekkies are laughing at that foolishness.
    All other interaction is against shielded targets, which likely cause some funky effects. The instance in the shuttle bay is more solid, and isn't in the vaccum of space.

    Ah, to be that niave and and lacking in math skills. 4 kilotons is far short of what is needed to vaporize the asteroids in ESB. Hell it is far short of what is needed to shatter them. So you assumptions are way way off. Every time a Light Turbolaser has hit a fighter it has destroyed it. Hell a glancing shot on Lukes X-wing in ANH nearly destroyed the craft entirely. Porkins got nailed with a shot just a shade closer and his fighter was destroyed.
    Provide evidence that the light turbolasers were the ones to fire upon the asteroids in ESB. I determined that calc on the idea that the light guns were made to destroy fighters and bombers.

    And as for the Death Star example, it was specifically stated that the Death Star was designed to hold of cap ships, not fighters. Thus, there would be no reason to have light turbo lasers on it; because they would be worthless against cap ships. Thus, what destroyed the fighters was actually medium or heavy turbolasers.

    Now if you are speaking of fighter weaponry, well most of them are llightly armed compared to Capships. Note that Naboo fighters were no match for the Trade Federations Droid control ships shields. Only a series of fortunate accidents allowed Anakin to destroy the vessel.
    Sorry, but we know that fighters pose some sort of threat to capital ships, otherwise there would be no point in having them if they didn't. It may not prove to destroy a capital ship, but they do pose a threat, if small.


    You do realize that in ANH that Luke's X-wing with just two blasts from each of four cannons exceeded 60 kilotons in the fireball scene? The minimum needed to create the cloud of metal vapor we see in that scene is well in excess of 60 kilotons. After his run the vapor was not oonly there but so energized there was lightning and te metal was burning in places.
    Or more likely, he aimed at something, which caused a larger explosion. Like perhaps power lines leading to TL batteries?

    The rest of your argument is based on fallicous reason at best. Even if you ignore canon evidence of the Asteroid sequence in ESB and say they were shattered that is well in excess of 2 kilotons. Basically you taking one example in TPM that is basically a damn lucky shot and trying to shoehorn everything else to fit your expectation in direct conflict of evidence and canon material.
    No I'm not. You're trying to twist my post into claiming this. I stated three different yields. The first is for fighters, which would be anywhere between one kiliton, to four kilitons. Possibly six or eight. These are to destroy fighters, you know, those pesky things zipping around? Yeah, those.

    The second calc is based off the ESB asteroid. It was about 20 meters long, and thus, even assuming vaporization, it would have only been 59.9 kilotons. Even assuming the insane 40 meters, we still only get, 479.9 kilitons. For the highest one, I went to Darkstar's calculations on HTL's, which could at most, put out 1.5 megatons in the effort of destroying a small town (as described by George Lucas). Putting it up a bit higher, we can get 3 megatons, assuming their firepower doubled in twenty years.

    You fail.

  8. #10248
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Also, low end calcs, assuming only a 10 kilometer asteroid, like one found in Pegasus:

    11.11 megatons per isoton. 6.25 isotons per photon in Voyager's 200 isoton total, so that comes down to:

    Class VI photon torpedo: 69.4375 megatons.

    That's what Voyager usually shot out, and concures with lower figures.

    Which still puts it over the top of Imperial firepower.

  9. #10249
    Quote Originally Posted by SkywalkerJedi View Post
    No offence TW Scott, but it is true, I gotta admit it. You did lie a couple of times. I think you can regain trust by admitting you lied and don't do it again.
    I don't get how people think he is mad, I don't, he just need more chances.
    It's just not his way.
    The encouraging facts for Star Wars are those Captial ship weapon emplacements which blew the ISD to kingdom come. There was no visible damge on the vessel before it blew so the weapons must be substantial.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkywalkerJedi View Post
    I got two answers for your problems, one is solusion to the saga, one is the solusion the movies ( If you know what I mean, if not please tell me the right way to word it, I would appreciate it )

    First, when Star Wars is first made, they made it look not very cool, because the made animation for the ships, but they are better.

    Second, the Empire can't afford millions of Star Destroyers that look cool and powerful at the same time, what am I trying to say is that they chose power over the looks.

    Third, if you look at the EU stuff, which is C-Canon but also canon. You will find that they improved alot.

    Here is some examples of improvment. In the Star Forge era, their blasters cannons are weak and heavy, even Leia's sporting blasters are more powerful. Their Hyperdrive is rated 30, but they improved it to 0.5 ( the lower the faster ). Lightsabers are lighter. Power cells are stronger.
    I agree with your first point. There were issues with what speical effects could accomplish in 1977. So as a result we see certain limitations on screen. You're right on that one...

    However I'm not sure where you're going with the second point.

    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Excuse me but in the scene, the fighters left the hangar in a mass group, the third one outr did fall to earth in a fiery crash after being shot in the engine. However as we saw in the hangar of the Droid Ship, the Threed fighter's shields are completely visible in atmosphere. There were no visible shields on the ships flying out of the hangar. Finally the main gun of the Federation tanks is a starship level weapon itself.

    Incorrect. Upon activiation they are visable and you know that.


    What is so hard to understand here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flectarn View Post


    If thats a starship level weapon, your in worse trouble than I imagined
    I wholeheartedly agree. Scott has proven effectively that the tyipical starwars starship level ship is horibbly deficient compared to Star Trek.

    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Did you see shield interaction? Nope.
    And I said it was starship level weapon, not capship level weapon. Some starship weapons are completely defense orientated, used mostly to make pirates think twice before jumping a frieghter. Also given the material used in Star Ship manufacture, that might have been quite a powerful blast.
    That's irrelevant. Star Wars shields are on record as not being a full coverage defense according to Star Wars.com.

    Most starships carry some form of shielding technology, to protect it not only from the natural hazards of space travel, but also enemy attacks. Since smaller ships have limited power with which to generate deflector shields, they often only protect set areas, or arcs, of the vessel and rely on maneuverability to avoid fire.

    Seeing as the shots from the Droid tank could be seen from inside the Hanger in another scene it makes your lie look even worse as it propose the pilots were completely incompetent or unconscious, even blind. A pity a child new to raise shields in the presence of enemies but a fully trained pilot did not.

  10. #10250
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    I wholeheartedly agree. Scott has proven effectively that the tyipical starwars starship level ship is horibbly deficient compared to Star Trek.
    Actually all that is proven is that Star Wars Fighters are weaker than Star Wars Capital ships. Which is logical.


    That's irrelevant. Star Wars shields are on record as not being a full coverage defense according to Star Wars.com.

    Most starships carry some form of shielding technology, to protect it not only from the natural hazards of space travel, but also enemy attacks. Since smaller ships have limited power with which to generate deflector shields, they often only protect set areas, or arcs, of the vessel and rely on maneuverability to avoid fire.
    I was not aware Starwars.com was considered canon. It is a storehouse of canon material but has in the past been incorrect. We do know that the naboo fighters had full coverage. We also know that X-wings and Y-wings did as well and were able to shunt all deflector power to specific arcs. So what is your point here. That Star Wars shield design for fighters is weaker than Star Wars capital ships? Fine, as it only logical.

    Seeing as the shots from the Droid tank could be seen from inside the Hanger in another scene it makes your lie look even worse as it propose the pilots were completely incompetent or unconscious, even blind. A pity a child new to raise shields in the presence of enemies but a fully trained pilot did not.
    Well, yes the tanks shots were visible fiorm inside the hangar, however most of the pilots were busy manually flying their fighter during take off, unlike Skywalker. They had less than a quarter second to respond. To give you a picture of human response time in drag racing when you know you are supposed to hit the gas pedal at the green light and are given a predictable pattern to discern when green will light up, it still takes half a second to press the gas. That is considered perfect reflex time. Now add in enemy fire that was not expected and the the deciosn to either juke or raise shields and we are talking three quarters of a second minimum and probably another second before shields raise.

  11. #10251
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Okay lets adress your errors in thinking here.

    !. You think a large release of energy automatically means a large explosion. You are not facoring in the amount of energy absorbed by the material struck.

    2: You believe a Energy blast , like form the tank is OMNIdirectional. This is not the case. Energy weapons like those seen in TPM are unidirectional only. Any explosion seen are becuase of tghe energy transfer/energy state changes the material struck undergo.

    3. This shockwave you are thinking of exist in true omni directional weapon. There is a much smaller one from unidirectional weapons, but the shockwave would usually not be visible.
    if the beams are unidirectional shouldn't it have kept on burning straight through the realitivly thin skin of the fighter? sort like the enterprises alpha strike in Q-who? It seems like most of the time when an energy weapon in star wars impacts something theires a flashy explosion and not much to show for it afterwards (blasters especially are like this, the exception being the mos eisly spaceport)

    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott
    Can't. Pilot has to give over manual control of things like steering and weapons usage. Notice that R2 could not just fly the ship after taking it off autopilot.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Lucas
    INT. NABOO STARFIGHTER - COCKPIT - SPACE

    A giant dogfight ensues. ANAKIN's fighter flies into space above Naboo.
    ARTOO beeps a worried concern.

    ANAKIN : The Autopilot is searching for what other ships?

    ARTOO beeps and whistles.

    ANAKIN : (Cont'd) There is no manual override, Artoo. You'll have to rewire
    it or something.

    ARTOO chirps that he's trying.

    ANAKIN : (cont'd) Look! There they are! That's where the autopilot is taking
    us.

    ANAKIN's fighter flies toward the Federation Battleship.
    It's a little different in the movie, where he says something akin to "this autopilots going to get us both killed" and then r2 turns it off, but the point is the ship WAS on autopilot prior to this point... like in the hanger.

    a*edit* hiuh--- read up a few lines earlyer in the scrpit... apparently anakin had control in the hanger... but not afterwards. strange.
    Last edited by Flectarn; 04-15-08 at 10:49 AM.

  12. #10252
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Basicly, Anakin's fighter was on auto-pilot, R2 turned it off, and then Anakin got show down. He landed in the fighter bay of the Trade Federation ship, where the ship went offline. R2 managed to fix the problem, and Anakin raised the shields before they were shot on. Anakin then fired a few laser blasts, and then with an "oops", fired two proton torpedoes into the shield generator...which was located within the fighter bay.

  13. #10253
    アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) SkywalkerJedi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
    It's just not his way.
    The encouraging facts for Star Wars are those Captial ship weapon emplacements which blew the ISD to kingdom come. There was no visible damge on the vessel before it blew so the weapons must be substantial.
    Thats Home One, it is no average Capital ship.




    I agree with your first point. There were issues with what speical effects could accomplish in 1977. So as a result we see certain limitations on screen. You're right on that one...

    However I'm not sure where you're going with the second point.
    This is what I am trying to say, the reason they are a triangle shape because, if you have turbolasers at the sides, they can all target the front, and Triangle is a good shape. they can't afford to make it look fancy, because there is hundreds of thousands of Star Destroyers ( All Star Destroyers ), they can't affrod the cost to make it look fancy.




    I wholeheartedly agree. Scott has proven effectively that the tyipical starwars starship level ship is horibbly deficient compared to Star Trek.
    Again, I certainly agree that Naboo ships are nothing compared to Star Trek starfighters. But the starships above the yacht, passenger ship or Starfighters but below Dreadnught Cruiser, are a 1:1 match for Star Trek ships( exculding Galaxy-Class, Enterprise-E or Voyager ), I don't really consider starfighters starships. The ships above the Dreadnught cruiser level is more then a match for averge Star Trek ships, and can take time to defeat Galaxy-Class, Enterprise-E or Voyager. Anything above the Heavy Cruiser level is moire then a match for any Star Trek ships.

    That's irrelevant. Star Wars shields are on record as not being a full coverage defense according to Star Wars.com.

    Most starships carry some form of shielding technology, to protect it not only from the natural hazards of space travel, but also enemy attacks. Since smaller ships have limited power with which to generate deflector shields, they often only protect set areas, or arcs, of the vessel and rely on maneuverability to avoid fire.

    Seeing as the shots from the Droid tank could be seen from inside the Hanger in another scene it makes your lie look even worse as it propose the pilots were completely incompetent or unconscious, even blind. A pity a child new to raise shields in the presence of enemies but a fully trained pilot did not
    I agree with some points, I agree that a demilitarized ship or Starfighter don't have completely covered shields after they been attack. Military ships have fully covered shields ( the Falcon have military standard shields, doesn't mean that it have military generators to provide that power at all times ) at all times ( except when they turn off the shield generators of course ). It is pretty sad about the Naboo pilot's skill, but it is Anakin Skywalker, he can see the future other's can't, that again proved Anakin's skill.

  14. #10254
    アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) SkywalkerJedi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,493
    I was not aware Starwars.com was considered canon. It is a storehouse of canon material but has in the past been incorrect. We do know that the naboo fighters had full coverage. We also know that X-wings and Y-wings did as well and were able to shunt all deflector power to specific arcs. So what is your point here. That Star Wars shield design for fighters is weaker than Star Wars capital ships? Fine, as it only logical.
    Starwars.com is canon, I am on the Star Wars side but I disagree with this statement. Starwars.com is canon acording to the canon classifications for G-canon and C-canon. G-canon is anything that come directly from George Lucas ( Eg. Scripts, Deleted Scens, and the movies ). C-canon is anything that is licienced by lucasfilm thats not T-canon, S-canon or G-canon. Starfighter's shields are diffrent from other ships. When it is hit, the generator lose power, so they need to shut other areas off to divert it to that area, however it is only for Starfighters. Starwars.com's databank is not wrong, it is just to small, it doesn't have much infomation as Star Wars Wiki or Star Wars encycolpediea.

    Well, yes the tanks shots were visible fiorm inside the hangar, however most of the pilots were busy manually flying their fighter during take off, unlike Skywalker. They had less than a quarter second to respond. To give you a picture of human response time in drag racing when you know you are supposed to hit the gas pedal at the green light and are given a predictable pattern to discern when green will light up, it still takes half a second to press the gas. That is considered perfect reflex time. Now add in enemy fire that was not expected and the the deciosn to either juke or raise shields and we are talking three quarters of a second minimum and probably another second before shields raise
    I disagree the fact that Skywalker had extra time. Skywalker can simply saw that bolt coming. Skywalker is the only human with the reflexes to podrace.

  15. #10255
    アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) SkywalkerJedi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Flectarn View Post


    If thats a starship level weapon, your in worse trouble than I imagined
    Thats far worse then a turbolasers, it is only a blaster cannon shot.

  16. #10256
    Purveyor of Truth and Fact Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    6,124
    I don't know Jedi - you still have the problem of actually hitting the Trek ship...

    at .8c (max impulse), the Enterprise-E is zipping around 80% the speed of light. She has full weapons, shields, and plenty of auxilliary power to dump into those systems.

    Now, when you consider that, at any time, the Ent-E can make a micro-warp jump with near zero calculations, they can stay at about 25,000 km and simply pound away at the Wars vessel, simply changing directions as the turbolasers come inbound (as we know they take time to traverse that distance) and shooting down missiles and torpedoes as they are fired. Quantum torpedoes, photon torpedoes, and phaser spreads would rapidly deteriorate the Wars vessels shields and soon they can begin picking off the weapon emplacements, leaving the ship largely undamaged but unable to fight.

  17. #10257
    アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) SkywalkerJedi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by antaran_1979 View Post
    what facts were those?
    if only 3 ships chased the Falcon, and Vader ordered all availabe ships to do it, this would mean the rest of the flotila (at least 10 ships) were disabled.
    as i said check the movie. the ships hit, is not alone and it was escorting the SSD, not hunting for Solo.
    The amout of ships, and the names of the ships involved in the chase. There was no 10 ships, Admiral Ozzile's fleet is not that big. Ozzile's Victory is out of range, at least 1 is disabled, the rest of the ships are taking care of the fleeing rebel transports. There is only three holograms of the captains of the ships, so all of those add up too: there is only three involved. Neither way, it is not destoryed, because all the ships are present in other combats, or destroyed years after.

  18. #10258
    Purveyor of Truth and Fact Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    6,124
    BTW - I have had response times registering under a quarter second whilst my adrenaline was high (soccer as a goalkeeper for instance, and when I practice my swordsmanship)

    A .75-1 second response time is FAR too slow... hell, the AVERAGE person has better than that! The AVERAGE humans response time is about 1/4 of a second!

    The average (median) reaction time is 215 milliseconds.
    I've recorded 446052 clicks so far.

    http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/stats.php

    A simple test, but it's hand-to-eye reaction just the same.

  19. #10259
    アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) SkywalkerJedi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    I don't know Jedi - you still have the problem of actually hitting the Trek ship...

    at .8c (max impulse), the Enterprise-E is zipping around 80% the speed of light. She has full weapons, shields, and plenty of auxilliary power to dump into those systems.

    Now, when you consider that, at any time, the Ent-E can make a micro-warp jump with near zero calculations, they can stay at about 25,000 km and simply pound away at the Wars vessel, simply changing directions as the turbolasers come inbound (as we know they take time to traverse that distance) and shooting down missiles and torpedoes as they are fired. Quantum torpedoes, photon torpedoes, and phaser spreads would rapidly deteriorate the Wars vessels shields and soon they can begin picking off the weapon emplacements, leaving the ship largely undamaged but unable to fight.
    Excuse me, it is not called a "Wars vessle", it is called a Star Wars vessle. I never seen any Star Trek vessle fight at that range, they usally fight when they come into visual range ( I said usally, not always so don't critisize ), if so they would of begun the Battle to Retake Deep Space 9 in longer range, or the Defence of Earth in longer range. Star Wars have concussion missiles that have longer ranger, faster and it can follow the ship. In emergencies they can jump into hyperspace and escape ( only in emergencies ), so destroying it won't be very possible.
    Oh, I forgot, Ion Cannons and Long-range turbolasers have that range too.

  20. #10260
    アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) SkywalkerJedi's Avatar
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    BTW - I have had response times registering under a quarter second whilst my adrenaline was high (soccer as a goalkeeper for instance, and when I practice my swordsmanship)

    A .75-1 second response time is FAR too slow... hell, the AVERAGE person has better than that! The AVERAGE humans response time is about 1/4 of a second!

    The average (median) reaction time is 215 milliseconds.
    I've recorded 446052 clicks so far.

    http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/...time/stats.php

    A simple test, but it's hand-to-eye reaction just the same.
    Skywalker is diffrent, he can tell the future. He is the only human that can podrace ( remember there is no rules about sabatoging ) and won.

Similar Threads

  1. By Fettman in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 10-18-11, 02:02 PM
    Replies: 33
  2. By USS Athens in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 03-16-10, 04:47 PM
    Replies: 291
  3. By superstring01 in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 03-11-10, 01:57 PM
    Replies: 60
  4. By Orleander in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 07-11-09, 08:33 PM
    Replies: 27
  5. By Asguard in forum Computer Science & Culture
    Last Post: 09-13-08, 02:15 AM
    Replies: 0

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •