View Poll Results: Which universe would win?

Voters
670. This poll is closed
  • Star Trek

227 33.88%
  • Star Wars

285 42.54%
  • Spaceballs

51 7.61%
  • Farscape

14 2.09%
  • Dune

54 8.06%
  • Stargate

39 5.82%

Thread: Star Wars vs Star Trek

I'll address the micro-organism note with this:

In every fantasy or so, the gods NEED the puny mortals to exist. The force of the puny mortal's prayers was the life force of the gods which is why they always fight over followers. This most obviously comes out in the game Black and White, but in a way, it is true that a god would be nothing more than oblivion without faith. I believe that the Q is simply Star Trek's version of the gods in games like Black and White. Which is why the Q can "owe" a puny mortal. This also means that the Q has a horrific weak-point (as all powerful things have): the Q needs PEOPLE.

case closed.

Oops... case NOT closed:

I would like to point out that the Bene Gesserit can manipulate religion.

Master of Useless Information
    In the case of this, here is another question: Since the Force flows through all things, and it has a will of its own, wouldn't it be considered a god? Also, the Yuuzhan Vong are completely void of the Force, so does that mean they would be immune to Q's power? On another note, though most cultures' religions in Star Wars are not gone into with detail, the Yuuzhan Vong are religious zealots with a very advanced pantheon. Would their gods not be able to counter Q as well?

returns occasionally... Starthane Xyzth's Avatar
    Do the Yuuzhan Vong deities make direct, personal appearances, as Q does? If not, infidels can simply dismiss their existence.

Even if Q, like a Jedi, couldn't directly destroy a Yuuzhan Vong with his power, he could still manipulate matter and energy around him to cause his death! I mean, they can be killed easily enough by fire, or asphyxiation, or dismemberment... I'm sure Q could arrange such circumstances with a little imagination.

I am pretty sure the Yuzhon Yong would be able to counter Q.

Even if the Vong couldn't counter him (not sure about that yet) the issues of the monks and the Force as a god still haven't been dealt with, so we are still winning...

Oh no... we're at another page. Pleeease will there NOT be a new trekkie we have to fight with ???

Dune would win easily.

Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arquibus
    Even if the Vong couldn't counter him (not sure about that yet) the issues of the monks and the Force as a god still haven't been dealt with, so we are still winning...
    Who ever said you were winning? Winning depends on proving you case, not just disproving an argument on the other side, which you haven't done either. All you've done is raise a possible issue.

Can you offer CANON PROOF (ie, actually point out where in the EU/Movies where it specifically says or shows) that these monks or the Vong are capable of the feats you mention, that they are capable of taking on beings who are capable of feats of cosmic power? Can you even point out proof that Vong gods are real in the SW universe outside of some mumbojumbo about what the Force may be capable of?

Or is this all out of control hyperbolic conjecture based on a few obscure references and Warsie wishful thinking?

And another thing, if the Force is a natural force, what's to prevent Q or the other super-aliens from manipulating it themselves? Or from cutting off its users from the source? The super-aliens' sources of power have nothing to do with the Force; the whole idea behind them is that they tap into powers we can barely comprehend, into the very fundamental forces of existence itself. If they can easily manipulate time, space, matter, energy, and reality with a thought, using or cutting off the Force to others should be a piece of cake for them.

Heh, I can see Palpatine confronting Q. Palpatine rants, sneering something like, "Feel the power of the Dark Side!" and summon force lightning on Q. But instead of lightning, hundreds of marigold petals shoot out of his hands. Q just smirks and says something like "Feel the power of Anger Management."

This isn't about the Q or the other super aliens owing the Federation anything. They're part of the ST universe, and are in this fight by default. Again, please offer PROOF that there exists powers in either the SW or Dune (or whatever) universe that can realistically challenge them.

I said that the monks' power was referenced in one of the books about the Caamasi Document. In the meantime, just today (and many times before) I heard George Lucas saying that the Force was representative of the gods or divine powers and because it is divine energy combined with will, it is a god. In the meantime, the Yuuzhan Vong gods, according to their beliefs, created them and are very active in ensuring their victory, but I understand this could be the rantings of homicidal religious zealots. Regardless, this memory of Lucas saying that the Force is divine means in turn that the Yuuzhan Vong are immune to this divine, so unless they really do have gods, they are immune to all divine, and therefore Q, being a veritable god, cannot affect them. Go ahead, prove me wrong.

It's finally good to see another Dune fan, and also good to see a true zealot, even if the zealot is a trekkie...

I can argue about the Q a helluva lot more. Because I have experience. But through experience I have learnt that you can NEVER convince a Trekkie to give up the Q argument. Hence argument is pointless.

The following is an example of the type of post that shows up every page or so:

Quote Originally Posted by Emfuser
    As has been said in 3 post before: Q

Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q Q

HELLO?!?!?!

There is a race of GODS from the star trek universe. Their powers are to the force what a supernova is to a candle. Q Powers >>>>>>>>>>>>> The Force

DISCUSSION OVER
    Well, everyone has to admit, that Dhusk is actually fighting using logic. I propose we suspend the "Trekkies Are Naturally Idiots Policy" for him.

Perhaps we should redefine this thread to pit specific civilisations in the different universes against each other? Such as Federation vs. Galactic Empire? Dominion vs. Yuuzhan Vong?

Then we should make a new thread if we were going to do that.

Hellenistic polytheist Hapsburg's Avatar
    CGU at it's height would whupp all of them, though.
    At thier height, the CGU controls some 20 Galaxies, and thier bog-standard troops are chucking around nuclear grenades and packin' megajoule-level beam rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapsburg
    CGU at it's height would whupp all of them, though.
    At thier height, the CGU controls some 20 Galaxies, and thier bog-standard troops are chucking around nuclear grenades and packin' megajoule-level beam rifles.
    They still couldn't take the Vong, or for that matter Thrawn.

Dont forgot Omnius's empire in Dune.

Sorry to reveal that my nerdism has its limits... but who are CGU?

Quote Originally Posted by Arquibus
    They still couldn't take the Vong, or for that matter Thrawn.
    What're you, nuts?
    The Zaaroft alone could obliterate the Vong, and the CGU defeated the Zaaroft relatively easily.
    Thrawn...heh...he may be good...but he's not nearly as good as Grand Admiral Harper or Admiral Khor.

Quote Originally Posted by Starthane Xyzth
    Sorry to reveal that my nerdism has its limits... but who are CGU?
    Collaborative-effort SciFi universe created by me and two of my friends.