View Poll Results: Which universe would win?

Voters
670. This poll is closed
  • Star Trek

    227 33.88%
  • Star Wars

    285 42.54%
  • Spaceballs

    51 7.61%
  • Farscape

    14 2.09%
  • Dune

    54 8.06%
  • Stargate

    39 5.82%

Thread: Star Wars vs Star Trek

  1. #5561
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Exeter View Post
    I have many questions as a newcomer to this website. In the star wars cutout books that explain the mechanical processes in which the ships in SW are able to achieve faster than light speeds using a radom mechanical explanation of electromagnetic turbines spinning ionized thrust into a vacuum. How would this actually work? In einstein's theory of relativity, it prohibits FTL travel, never the less it doesn't say you can't warp space time. So I guess the point is, HOW do you warp space time with electromagnetic thrust?!?
    A warp field works by compressing space around you or something like that on ST.

  2. #5562
    unamerican american USS Exeter's Avatar
    Posts
    2,482
    One more comment, the hyperspace drive does't also seem very logical. It would look better in a modern art museum or a model of a quantum computer than being able to be used as an actuator of a FTL traveling device

  3. #5563
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Originally Posted by USS Enterprise-B
    Regarding the pride and joy of the Galactic Empire, the Death Star, why do SW fans make such a big deal out of it? Let's create a little situation, the Rebelion appears in front of it. They have no idea what to do because they are not very good problem solvers. So they get blown to kindom come. But what if just any ship from the Federation appears in front of it. They will scan the DS's layout and realize that the Superlaser fires in only one direction. So they move to the other side of the DS and out of range of the surface turrets (not that lasers would affect a standard Starfleet shield) and scan for a weak point. (Depending on which Death Star) they would scan and find the weakness. If it was the first one, they would use either Photon, Quantum, and if at all possible, Transphasic torpedos on the thermal exaust port. If it was the second DS, they would send Peregine class attack fighters and if Tom Paris ever proposed it, Delta Flyers and basically blow it up.

    God, are you optimistic

    Okay Death Star appears above Earth and sends down a transmission so powerful it blows out COmmunications array in Star fleet headquaters. Geordi recognizes the wave pattern and routes it to a Holodeck. The comminique is simple, surrender or Earth is destroyed. They have five minutes to decide. Immediately the admiralty calls for an attack. Spacedock's heavy Phasers start firing and they luancher a hundred Photon torpedoes, only to watch the impacts mean nothing to the Spacestation. Ground batteries are firing, again to no effect. Ships pour out of Spacedock, racing towards the Battlestation at full impulse. The Death Star responds by firing it main weapon, Earth lasts another fraction of a second. Then the THOUSANDS of 12.5 gigaton heavy turbloasers start tearing apart the fleet. These weapons are hundreds of times more powerful than a warp core breach.

    Thus endeth the lesson.
    Ummmmmm... First of all, the Feds would just go to the opposite side of the DS and fire at the exaust port. (Who said the DS even has sheilds) Second we have already proven that a turbolaser does not have 12.5 gigatons of kenetic energy.

  4. #5564
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vasago View Post
    Yes i know voyager is on his own, i was reffering more to TNG. but leave it at this.

    Doesn't voyager have replicaters? i don't know;
    Replicators require energy to use and there are some things they cannot replicate.

  5. #5565
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Enterprise-B View Post
    Ummmmmm... First of all, the Feds would just go to the opposite side of the DS and fire at the exaust port. (Who said the DS even has sheilds) Second we have already proven that a turbolaser does not have 12.5 gigatons of kenetic energy.




    The first DS did have shields, however they were not overlapping shields. Small one man fighters could fit through the seam areas. The second DS would not have had this weakness, nor would it have had the vulnerable Thermal ports ports. There are advanced plans for a third DS in both Alliance and Imperial Remnnant hands. The space station after allis not based on any unique technologies. Most likely a Third Death Star was not built becuase of the near Impossibility of building one in secret. The second Death Star was only six months along in the project when the Emperor leaked the information. It probably still would have been discovered anyway and come under attack.

    Second you have not proved a single thing about the Turbolaser, other than you have no clue what you are talking about.

    Finally the only reason that the Thermal port was discovered as a weakness was that the Alliance had a full blue print of the Battlestation and time to analyze it. How well s earth going to do when it comes out of hyperspace destroys the planets then hyperspaces back out. There would be no time for a detailed scan of any type.

  6. #5566
    the hippy with a lightsaber Qui-Gon Jinn's Avatar
    Posts
    78
    star wars wins

  7. #5567
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    The first DS did have shields, however they were not overlapping shields. Small one man fighters could fit through the seam areas. The second DS would not have had this weakness, nor would it have had the vulnerable Thermal ports ports. There are advanced plans for a third DS in both Alliance and Imperial Remnnant hands. The space station after allis not based on any unique technologies. Most likely a Third Death Star was not built becuase of the near Impossibility of building one in secret. The second Death Star was only six months along in the project when the Emperor leaked the information. It probably still would have been discovered anyway and come under attack.

    Second you have not proved a single thing about the Turbolaser, other than you have no clue what you are talking about.

    Finally the only reason that the Thermal port was discovered as a weakness was that the Alliance had a full blue print of the Battlestation and time to analyze it. How well s earth going to do when it comes out of hyperspace destroys the planets then hyperspaces back out. There would be no time for a detailed scan of any type.
    Both Death Stars are already destroyed, so it hardly matters either way. And you have proved nothing about Turbolasers.

  8. #5568
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    I will help you learn grammar yet Scott.

    I have proven you wrong multiple times. You simply seem to forget that ALL of trek is Canon, not just latest trek. if this were true, then you can ONLY use the last book and the last movie and anything that contradicts must be taken from the last book of the timeline.

    Kadesch?
    Like I said before: "This is a post. If you want proper Grammar wait for the dissertation." Or you can pay me. If you are not willing to pay then STFU.

    All of Trek shows and movies may be canon but that means you must admit that a 400 gigawatt blast can and will collapse the shields of a Galaxy class starship. I was trying to give you a way of accepting that fact and mitigating it in argument by showing that unless the attack in pinpoint (under 100 square centimeters) the 400 gigawatts does not really apply. Then you have to contend with shelds that can repel muliple 64 megaton strike. Of course you guys could not accept such a gift from me, as you are too wrapped up in vitrolic hatred of me and the fact that I have shown you up again and again.


    Fine, I don't care.

    Canon Source: TMG Episode True Q Galaxy class Warp Core produces 12 billion gigawatts or 1.2E19 watts per second

    Canon Source: ICS: Attack of the Clones. Heavy Turbolaser has the equivalent firepower of 12.5 gigatons in one shot or 5.225E19 watts per 0.06666...seconds

    Even if later models of the Warp core increase the power output of the Warp core by 300%, ST ships still out powered ~15 to one, by just one of the main guns of a SW capital ship.

  9. #5569
    the hippy with a lightsaber Qui-Gon Jinn's Avatar
    Posts
    78
    the Death Star is kool it make planets go BOOM!!!!!

  10. #5570
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    Prove Q cannot- we have not seen any limits to his power, unlike what we have seen with jedi.
    We have seen no limits to the Jedi. ROTS proved that as Anaking and Obiwan were fighting just scant inches aboved a river of Lava. They should not have been able to breathe. But the thing is you have to prove he can, since you are the one who is claiming he can.

    Prove Q wouldn't- he has already done multiple things to speed the advancement of Humanity. The first meeting with the Borg taught Picard hubris for instance. Q has helped Picard out before, even if it was indirect. On Voyager, for example, it's obvious Q has a thing for Janeway as well as being grateful to her for her (albeit not so willing) help in teaching him to be a father.
    Yes, but he has not helped in any WAR type sistuation. He has not helped in a single conflict with Mortals, even the Borg. Thus the burden is on you to prove he would. Which will be hard as the past indicates to him he won't care.

    The only person to ever really get "rid" of Q was Sisko... and that's cause you just don't screw with a big angry black man, as both Sisko and Windu proved.
    Then Mace would easily get rid of Q. Hell, Yoda could do it as little green men are scarier.

    So prove to me, Scott, that Q would not interfere when he has done so multiple times already. Prove to me his power is limited and that it stems from technology as you so much love to claim. I have yet to see any evidence to substantiate this claim.
    Interfered to benefit mankind? Only Three times and each of those times was a test. He has NOT ONCE interfered in a war and there fore won't especially a war between humans.


    And, once more, absolute grammar please. Unless English is your second language, you have NO reason for mistakes.
    Unles you are paying me to respond, STFU about the grammar.

  11. #5571
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    You made reference to the Plasma R, S, F, and G (or whatever the letters were). These are only truely made reference to in the game Orion Pirates... especially the enveloping part.

    Caught in another web of your lies I see...
    Actually they were mentioned long before that in a Table top Wargame, however Gene did refer to them like that on occasion. Where I originally got them was so fan magazine however as I bought the table top wargame second dhand in '96

  12. #5572
    the hippy with a lightsaber Qui-Gon Jinn's Avatar
    Posts
    78
    thats right scott tell those fucking star trek fags

  13. #5573
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    And how many times did they fire each turbolaser? You don't know for certain. If you want to go that way, how do you even KNOW they fired all of them? How do you know he wasn't rounding up? How do you know so much of what you claim to be true?

    You don't. So stop bullshitting and face the facts- BOTH sides are ficticious and you CAN NOT claim things as fact just because characters said them.
    When someone mentions a barrage of that type the assumption is one time for each cannon. Especially since they have a 2 second recharge rate for barel cooling and the guns dedicated reactor to recharge the capacitor. Don't you pay attention to little details like that?

    However if you want to question the firepower we could always decide to claim only one Turret is fired at a time giving a firepower of 100 gigatons which screws you over even more. So do the world a favor, quit bitching and accept canon and small concessions we make for you.

  14. #5574
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    The first DS did have shields, however they were not overlapping shields. Small one man fighters could fit through the seam areas. The second DS would not have had this weakness, nor would it have had the vulnerable Thermal ports ports. There are advanced plans for a third DS in both Alliance and Imperial Remnnant hands. The space station after allis not based on any unique technologies. Most likely a Third Death Star was not built becuase of the near Impossibility of building one in secret. The second Death Star was only six months along in the project when the Emperor leaked the information. It probably still would have been discovered anyway and come under attack.

    Second you have not proved a single thing about the Turbolaser, other than you have no clue what you are talking about.

    Finally the only reason that the Thermal port was discovered as a weakness was that the Alliance had a full blue print of the Battlestation and time to analyze it. How well s earth going to do when it comes out of hyperspace destroys the planets then hyperspaces back out. There would be no time for a detailed scan of any type.
    It has not been proven that it has hyperspace nor your scorces on the Turbolaser, don't ignore USS Exeter's posts as you do Hellblade8s just because their posts rupture your happy little fantasy land where SW is king.

  15. #5575
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    And what do you consider "Proof"?

  16. #5576
    the hippy with a lightsaber Qui-Gon Jinn's Avatar
    Posts
    78
    shut up you supid star trek fags and stop cornering TW Scott

  17. #5577
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn View Post
    thats right scott tell those fucking star trek fags
    Hey, I happen to be a fan of Star trek too. I just hate that these idiots fly in the face of everything Gene and his staff have created.

    Truth is even Gene Roddenberry knew that all out war Star Wars would crush Star Trek. Hell, the man admitted if it wasn't for Star Wars there would be no Star Trek Movies or any series beyond TOS.

  18. #5578
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn View Post
    shut up you supid star trek fags and stop cornering TW Scott
    What the hell are you here for?

  19. #5579
    Minister of Technology
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Enterprise-B View Post
    It has not been proven that it has hyperspace nor your scorces on the Turbolaser, don't ignore USS Exeter's posts as you do Hellblade8s just because their posts rupture your happy little fantasy land where SW is king.
    Hello? How the hell do you think the Station got to Alderaan or Yavin?

    Second the Trubolaser stats are canon figures from the EU which in no way comes into conflict with the movies. therefore it is canon.

    BTW I do not respond to Hellblade8's posts becuase once I prove one thing he switches to another argument where I trounce him yet again and then he goes back to the first. Of course Hellblade8 is not his first moniker and I have been fighting him and his sock puppetry for some time.

  20. #5580
    the hippy with a lightsaber Qui-Gon Jinn's Avatar
    Posts
    78
    well im sorry for that scott plz forgive me

Similar Threads

  1. By Fettman in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 10-18-11, 02:02 PM
    Replies: 33
  2. By USS Athens in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 03-16-10, 04:47 PM
    Replies: 291
  3. By superstring01 in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 03-11-10, 01:57 PM
    Replies: 60
  4. By Orleander in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 07-11-09, 08:33 PM
    Replies: 27
  5. By Asguard in forum Computer Science & Culture
    Last Post: 09-13-08, 02:15 AM
    Replies: 0

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •