View Poll Results: Which universe would win?

Voters
670. This poll is closed
  • Star Trek

    227 33.88%
  • Star Wars

    285 42.54%
  • Spaceballs

    51 7.61%
  • Farscape

    14 2.09%
  • Dune

    54 8.06%
  • Stargate

    39 5.82%

Thread: Star Wars vs Star Trek

  1. #5021
    I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Enterprise-D's Avatar
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vasago View Post
    I know this maybe a stupid question but how many phasers can the best ship of the federation, fire at the same time ? and isn't the back of the belly a blind spot for phasers? i mean if you look at a typical ship of the federation, you may even have phasers on top and bottom of the saucer, how the hell do you fire against a ship or torpedo when it's comming under your back, without shooting your own hull apart?
    Update on this one, there are at least two phaser assemblies (and I imagine for the symmetry of design, an equivalent set on the opposite side) at the base of the Intrepid Class. I can provide a couple screenshots of Voyager firing from below (S3, Before and After).

  2. #5022
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vasago View Post
    I'm have no desire to take this hole post into a debate but would you really what's the movies again, please. and if you don't get it watch them again and again. Allthough I admit (being a huge sw fan) there are a lot of flaws in the movies I think you better pay attention when watching a movie, and let your grey cells work for a change.
    Grey cells? What's that supposed to mean?

    And I've seen the movies enough thank you, the first three where great, but the prequals suck, and really, when it all boils down, the movies are shallow. Yes, they are very, very shallow. George took from every Western and Martial Arts movie of the time, and the really only great thing in his movies where lightsabers, and the special effects.

    That's it, aside form that, his movies are nothing but eye candy plastered onto a cheap story with sub-par acting that only a child could fully enjoy. So sorry, but the movies aren't that great. They're amusing to some extent, and the first set is like a classic now, and that's great, but the movies, when you really look at them, are shallow.

  3. #5023
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolFromHell View Post
    Not only that, but the Chicken Walker blew up like it was HOLLOW and the papier mache armor on the outside just bent...
    I mean, ST has a TV budget and has better effects than Lucas and his movie budget...
    Well, for the time it was pretty good, but when you consider Episode III still sucked and there was no great space battle...well, it kinda leaves one desiring something better.

  4. #5024
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vasago View Post
    I don't mind people like yourself pointing out a mistake in the plot because i found many flaws in almost every movie i've watched. but i do mind people like hellblade8 blabing on on mistakes that aren't there, just because they can't see past the special effects en really see the story behind it.
    If I recall correctly, Star Wars fans have been claiming a planetary shield for Alderaan for years just because of some really poor special effects. No other reason is given. And no, my beef is with the story and the acting...and in that regard, Star Wars is kind of shallow. Nice first three movies, but its still shallow.

  5. #5025
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    And I must say Hellboy pointed out many very good mistakes, though some of them are kind of nitpicking.
    Oh, I realize that.

    I just thought since I was at it I might as well toss it in. Again, the first three movies aren't bad per say, even with the sudden change in romance and some character relations, they still did a good job and Darth Vader claiming to be Luke's father was one of the greatest twists in any movie I had ever seen as a child. Some great stuff, I'm just calling it how it really is.

  6. #5026
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellblade8 View Post
    Oh, I realize that.

    I just thought since I was at it I might as well toss it in. Again, the first three movies aren't bad per say, even with the sudden change in romance and some character relations, they still did a good job and Darth Vader claiming to be Luke's father was one of the greatest twists in any movie I had ever seen as a child. Some great stuff, I'm just calling it how it really is.
    As supossed ST isn't shallow ? Dude i love ST almost as much as SW. I'm sorry to say I don't know this "Andromeda" some people talk about, but i bet when i see it, i'll love it to.

    But Voyager is the always the same. It has the same plots as the original serie en Next generation. Just new species, better weapons, always humanity that prevales.
    Dawn in the original serie you knew who was gonna die in a few moments (Always the new guy).

    Have you really seen the tech in the original series?

    In fact it's a long time ago since I saw some new and fresh sci-fi.
    I like firefly though

  7. #5027
    Purveyor of Truth and Fact Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vasago View Post
    As supossed ST isn't shallow ? Dude i love ST almost as much as SW. I'm sorry to say I don't know this "Andromeda" some people talk about, but i bet when i see it, i'll love it to.

    But Voyager is the always the same. It has the same plots as the original serie en Next generation. Just new species, better weapons, always humanity that prevales.
    Dawn in the original serie you knew who was gonna die in a few moments (Always the new guy).

    Have you really seen the tech in the original series?

    In fact it's a long time ago since I saw some new and fresh sci-fi.
    I like firefly though


    Uhm... if humanity DIDN'T prevail, the show would end... heh. So it's kind of important that that happens.

    Trek has variety in different missions, species look nicely unique and have learnable tounges (yes, Klingon is an actual language you can learn if you so wish) and other such niceties that, when Star Wars was first planned they didn't need nor were able to afford.

    To be honest, when the first Wars movie was released, that was GOING to be it. It was so popular, though, that a second was made, then a third. There wasn't a lot of planning ahead because of this, so some of the plots seem to appear and vanish into thin air *shrugs*

  8. #5028
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Then the trekkies woke up from their collective coma in the Chewbacca memorial Hospital

    Your assumptions on Trek vs Star Wars is very incohesive and incoherent. One area of your explanations does match the canon or even other areas of your explanation.

    It's the sign of error.

  9. #5029
    First of all this thing is easy. Answer this question please. How many star trek humans/aliens have lightsabers? None. So yea. Go Star Wars.

  10. #5030
    Purveyor of Truth and Fact Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,917
    How many Star Wars humans/aliens have weapons able to vaporize a 50 foot square area in front of the weapon in a 3 second shot?

    None

    Lightsabre < Phaser on lvl 16 wide angle firing trajectory. you can't block something that is a solid WALL of death

    That and if a lightsaber hit a Trek shield, it'd short circuit

  11. #5031
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior61 View Post
    First of all this thing is easy. Answer this question please. How many star trek humans/aliens have lightsabers? None. So yea. Go Star Wars.
    Screw melee fighting, just blow them up from a distance. Why not just take out an old-fashoned six-shooter and kill a jedi/sith? Who can menuveare something at the speed of light? Not even a jedi.

  12. #5032
    Purveyor of Truth and Fact Kittamaru's Avatar
    Posts
    7,917
    uhm... bullet =/= speed of light :P It's a little under (sometimes over) the speed of sound.

    Now, a MiniGun ala the A10 warthog... that's supersonic AND a fucktonne of lead...

  13. #5033
    Valued Senior Member Hellblade8's Avatar
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior61 View Post
    First of all this thing is easy. Answer this question please. How many star trek humans/aliens have lightsabers? None. So yea. Go Star Wars.
    Well played, but then again, how many lightsabers can destroy half a building? Because a Phaser set to level 16 on widebeam can.

  14. #5034
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    I have to say it, most of the people on this thread are for Star Trek right now. TW Scott, is, or at least was this biggest SW fan against ST, but only a few others are in this now.

  15. #5035
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittamaru View Post
    uhm... bullet =/= speed of light :P It's a little under (sometimes over) the speed of sound.

    Now, a MiniGun ala the A10 warthog... that's supersonic AND a fucktonne of lead...
    Yeah! Let's bring in an A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog is a nickname for it), VULCAN CANNON!!!! Think of how many Storm Troopers, Jedi, and Sith you could kill with one of those babies.

  16. #5036
    Heute der Enteteich... Oli's Avatar
    Posts
    11,890
    Avenger cannon.
    Minigun is 7.62mm
    Vulcan is 20mm
    The Warthog carries a 30mm.

  17. #5037
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by TW Scott View Post
    Then why say it when you're wrong. I am an ST fan myself. Love the shows up until Enterprise totally walked in the face of Gene's vision. However facts are facts. Gene himself said very sucinctly ONLY the shows and movies are canon. Lucas has made comments that indicate that everything that SW EU is canon, however if he makes a movie what he decides supercedes EU in importance. He was also clear he did not think Videogames, several novels, and some comics lines should be canon at all.

    In the light of these things everyone else's opinion means exactly nothing. So just drop your argument there, it is just pathetic to resort to this bullshit.
    MISTER SCOTT! What are you smoking ? You do not love and walk with Gene's vision, you criticize it to the extreme! No ST fan would do so! So, in name of all the people you have bullshitted on, I say your on some real big bullshit yourself!

  18. #5038
    Rabid!

  19. #5039
    Very Special Senior Member USS Athens's Avatar
    Posts
    1,265
    I have also evalutated that SW ignores the laws of physics, like in the asteroid chase on SW II AOTC, Jango used a "Sonic Boom" weapon, but first of all, a sonic boom is created by the rapid heating and expansion of AIR. And sound has been proven not to exist in a vacuum.

  20. #5040
    Rabid! Remember its Sifi its not real.

Similar Threads

  1. By Fettman in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 10-18-11, 02:02 PM
    Replies: 33
  2. By USS Athens in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 03-16-10, 04:47 PM
    Replies: 291
  3. By superstring01 in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 03-11-10, 01:57 PM
    Replies: 60
  4. By Orleander in forum SciFi & Fantasy
    Last Post: 07-11-09, 08:33 PM
    Replies: 27
  5. By Asguard in forum Computer Science & Culture
    Last Post: 09-13-08, 02:15 AM
    Replies: 0

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •