Linux on my stick?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Athelwulf, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I got a new stick drive this morning. Four gigs. I'm thinking about putting a Linux on it, but I don't want to wear down the flash drive faster than I have to. Should I go for distros that are advertised specifically for portable flash drives, or will any old distro work just as well in this respect?

There's something else I wanna ask, but I should start another thread for that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ranthi Registered Member

you COULD boot linux off of it but truthfully..what would that accomplish? I suppose you could put some of the most common troubleshooting utilities on it if you were a helpdesk person or something but I digress..that wasnt your question.

http://pendrivelinux.com/

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

And even so, can many computers even boot from USB devices?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I suppose not much, except that I'd gain that experience. Also, this is sorta related to my other thread in this subforum ([Thread=74280]link[/Thread]).

Thanks for the link, but that doesn't answer my question. I want to know if I need a distro that is specifically portrayed as a distro for stick drives, or if any distro that will fit on the drive will do.

I assume so, given the existence of Linux distros, and I believe even an old version of Mac, for stick drives.

8. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Will you have a cd with you? If so, get a distro like puppy linux or Damn Small Linux, which can save all your applications, settings & documents on a stick while running off the cd. This'll extend the stick life and performance is as good as your RAM, but being tiny - it runs quick - I do this with my mp3 memstick. It runs as a full-blown os that I use for web developing, it has a web server, mysql and my projects etc which I never have to reconfigure each boot.

Basically, bootup the distro, get it to the working state you require, then save the setup to mem stick - job done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.