Iraq Veterans vulnerable to commit suicide

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by wanneszinnig, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

Today in the papers:

American Iraq Veterans are very vulnerable to commit suicide. Most of them return with severe psychological problems, such as post traumatic stress syndrome.
    The papers wrote that the deathrate from postwar suicides is higher then the deathrate on the battleground.

Togheter with this phenomena a lot of veterans, from Iraq and Afghanistan, end up homeless. They live on the streets and are not helped not materialy not financialy.

If this is correct I wonder why people in the USA are driving around with stickers on their cars: 'I support our troups'.
    Is nobody taking care of the young men and women that are risking their lives in a allready absurd war??

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Would those same people have been susceptible to commit suicide even if they had NOT gone to Iraq?

"Most of them"? You're gonna' have to back that up with some valid statistics. You can't just say shit like that without some backup stats.

I would also remind you that less than 25% of the soldiers in Iraq are on the "front lines" ....the others are support personnel who are involved in no combat action whatsoever.

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. otheadp Banned Banned

it's a tough job. no doubt about it.
    i saw some positive coverage on BBC (i know, totally strange!) about the US forces in Iraq and it hit me how hard their job is and how heroic those guys (and gals) are.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

First of all: Can't you react a bit less agressive? You react like a child whoms lolypop has been taken away.

Second of all: I could post the article and unless you can speak and read Dutch fluently, it wont help you much.

Third of all: Use your brain. Soldiers are day and night living in an inhuman stress. On the battlefield or not. They are confronted with inhuman emotions and events. So it is lickely they will encounter psychologicaly dammage.

Let me finnish with this: I was in Bosnia for a while and a young guy (who fought in the warzone) told me that ' war is waiting for the bullet that is ment to be yours'.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I wonder what the real casualty numbers are when you include the psychological after effects of war.

9. countezero Registered Senior Member

What papers? Where's your source? This sounds like a bunch of crap...

10. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

Read above : unless you are an expert in reading Dutch I can post it...

My source is this paper: www.demorgen.be but it is, as I said in Dutch.

Good Luck with it!

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

US network uncovers 'suicide epidemic' among US veterans
    1 day ago

NEW YORK (AFP) — The US military is experiencing a "suicide epidemic" with veterans killing themselves at the rate of 120 a week, according to an investigation by US television network CBS.

At least 6,256 US veterans committed suicide in 2005 -- an average of 17 a day -- the network reported, with veterans overall more than twice as likely to take their own lives as the rest of the general population.
    http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jUtHzz80dkhT-nkIIbI4nsXXPGEw

12. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Familiarity breeds contempt , the same scenario happened after WW1 thousands of Vets were left begging and homeless not just in Europe but America , Canada and Australia . All are young and enthusiastic patriotic American kids from mainly Working class backgrounds who enlist and once they are maimed of suffer psychological distress are unceremoniously dumped back into society and told to get on with life .
    Print this headline out and stick it on every car you see with a I support our troops bumper sticker on it
    Fuck know , you have all those Baron Max types who cheerlead this war on in safety from the sidelines , as long as others die its ok , but dont ask him to look after the ones who make it out alive .

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the fact you used the term front lines show you have little understanding of what is going on in iraq there are no front lines. hot spots break out and die out. support personal are ending up in combat quite often there

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

He did use quotes.

15. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

yes and then proved he didn't have a clue what he was saying when he said support person don't see combat

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't believe that for a second.

17. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

considering how the us fights wars it may be possible

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

At least 6,256 US veterans committed suicide in 2005... (from my link)

That's about twice the number of those killed in the war itself.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't understand that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How many of the vets were from Iraq?

21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

first the us milatary is very good at preventing deaths also most modern firearm ammo is not designed to kill. it is designed to wound

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I think it only matters if we are shooting our own guys, right?
    Do you think the enemy is only trying to wound?

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i'm not talking about aiming. i am talking about how the round is designed. a round that kills a man takes him out of combat. a round that wounds a man takes him and everyone who is to care for him out of combat. the rounds used in most guns used on combat are degigned to not be as lethal as possible but instead allow to wound someone but leave him alive as to force more people out of combat. yes the us ammo is designed to do so and so are the rounds for the ak-47 which most of the people in iraq are using

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.