Ron Paul: For a stronger, whiter America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Nov 15, 2007.

?

Considering the Ron Paul presidential run ....

1. That's it. I'm done with Ron Paul's sinking ship.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. That's it. I'm jumping on the Ron Paul express!

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. I supported him before; I don't see how this changes anything.

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I opposed him before; ______ (fill in the blank)

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Other; _____ (fill in the blank)

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

As if Republican presidential candidate Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) didn't have enough troubles getting anyone other than his own supporters to take him seriously, the latest blow comes in the form of endorsements ...

... from white supremacists. Todd Heywood brings us the news:

It gets worse:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Ron Paul: Hope for America?

Over at Slog, Erica C. Barnett reminds:

Of course, you know what they say: There's no such thing as bad press.

Onward, Ron. And upward!

(What? Maybe this will "energize the party base".)

Notes:

Heywood, Todd A. "White Supremacists Rallying Around Ron Paul's Presidential Campaign". MichiganMessenger.com. November 12, 2007. See http://www.michiganmessenger.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=404

Barnett, Erica C. "Racists for Ron!" November 14, 2007. See http://slog.thestranger.com/2007/11/racists_for_ron

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

This contribution has been known to Ron Paul's supporters for quite some time and is old news. The racist comments were published under a publication to which he gave his name and nothing else. Doing a bit more research will give you the entire story. I'm a bit busy right now but if you haven't figured it out by the time I'm free, I'll do the work for you and show why this is bs. Ron Paul is very much against racism.

And this, btw, is coming from a non-white Bengali immigrant in case you wanted to know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

I knew Ron Paul was to good to be true. And the article is correct, go to ********** and you'll see the abundant amount of support that he has. This will turn away alot of voters, most of them are oblivious to his past, so it might not make a difference after all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Still busy but just to point out how ridiculously easy it is to get to the bottom of this, just going to Ron Paul on wiki gives you this:

In 2001, Paul took "moral responsibility" for the comments printed in his newsletter under his name, telling Texas Monthly magazine that the comments were written by a ghostwriter and did not represent his views. He said newsletter remarks referring to U.S. Representative Barbara Jordan (calling her a "fraud" and a "half-educated victimologist") were "the saddest thing, because Barbara and I served together and actually she was a delightful lady."[58] The magazine defended Paul's decision to protect the writer's confidence in 1996, concluding, "In four terms as a U.S. congressman and one presidential race, Paul had never uttered anything remotely like this."[33] In 2007, with the quotes resurfacing, the New York Times Magazine concurred that Paul denied the allegations "quite believably, since the style diverges widely from his own."[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_paul#1996_campaign_controversy

Feel free to check the links referenced in there. Also feel free to look at the numerous things he's personally written over the last 30 years and show me anything similar to the racist comments in your OP.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Have at it

Well, the thing is some of the argument leads to dead-ends because I'm not going to subscribe to a magazine just for this. Nonetheless, I did find an alleged transcript of a portion of an article from Texas Monthly:

I admit, it doesn't help his case much.

9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=41822

The operative sentence in the above would seem to be: “What made the statements in the publication even more puzzling was that, in four terms as a U. S. congressman and one presidential race, Paul had never uttered anything remotely like this.” The remarks may well have been seen as out of character because they were not written by Ron Paul, and he had no knowledge of them and no input into their composition, even though he eventually took responsibility for them.

Adds a source aware of the current tempest over these remarks, “Anybody who claims that Ron Paul made the comments in question is deliberately mis-stating what occurred to make political points. It is a measure of [his opponents] desperation that they are dredging this up again. Anybody who reads all that he has written – and there’s lots of it – could see that right away.”

As stated already, he's taken responsibility for the comments and has said they never should have been released under his name, even though they were someone else's words. Isn't that a refreshing change? Someone in congress that actually takes responsibility.

10. moementum7 ~^~You First~^~ Registered Senior Member

Oh gawd...lol
    This is truly pathetic.
    Anyone who thinks that the people who support RP dictate his charater in any logical way is preposterous.

Wouldn't it have just been easier to say your voting for someone else Tiassa?.
    You know I'm sure there was a child molester or rapist who supports Hillary, does that make her any more of a child molester or rapist?

Some peoples lack of reason baffles me.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Pathetic, petulant cowardice

If Hillary let that molester write her public statements for her, stood by them, and only later backed down when it was clear she wasn't going to win the argument.

Duh.

Indeed.

• • •​

As a side note, Paul supporters ought to consider what's important here. I mean, think about it:

• Ron Paul attempts to profit from racism (e.g., allowing statements in his name in order to get political traction)
    • Ron Paul stood by statements issued in his name
    • Ron Paul later retracts, when he realizes how damaging the situation is
    • Ron Paul supporters complain that people noticed he tried to profit from racism​

If you want to help your candidate, you might consider heading on over to Storm Front and other hate organizations and explaining to them how their endorsement is mistaken.

Oh, wait ... it's just easier to complain, isn't it?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  12. sandy Banned Banned

Ron Paul doesn't have a prayer. But let's take this a little bit further. S*F is a pro-white group. They gave him donations. What if the NAACP (pro-black group) gave him some too? Would there be an equal uproar? Oh, hell no. If LaRaza (pro-Hispanic) gave him money, would there be outrage? Oh, hell no. Why are whites apologizing for being/supporting whites?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. otheadp Banned Banned

Ron Paul has nothing in common with the Republican party. He should switch to (I) already and stop BSing.

the libertarian principles sound ancient Republicanish, but no person who actually belongs to today's party has anything in common with Paul.

look who supports him - extreme left who think the Democrats are a right wing party.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sandy, I would greatly appreciate your consideration of the following question:

Is there no difference between advocacy of equal rights and white supremacy?

Because it's not just about supporting whites; it's about condemning people for the color of their skin. That you apparently can't tell the difference ...?

• • •​

Interesting.

15. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

1. If you'd read the article, you'd see that Ron Paul was very loosely affiliated with the newsletter in question. By claiming that this was a personal attempt on his part to profit from racism based on that is very Karl Rove-y of you.

2 and 3. While I admit I would have liked it better if he'd simply rejected the comments from the get-go, I can understand that people make mistakes. I can understand that his campaign aides told him not to do so. And I can also look at his history in politics and see that this doesn't even remotely resemble anything else he's said in the past 30 years.

And quite frankly, you're being a little ridiculous. You made this thread asking for reactions from people who had already formed opinions of Ron Paul (a poll even!). And then you say I shouldn't have reacted? Pfft. You're just interested in stirring the pot.

As for your comment about going to **********, why would I? I don't particularly care for those groups. If they support Paul, great. But if they didn't, I wouldn't be interested in getting their support. So whatever.

As for Ron Paul's actual views on racism:

"Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups."

16. original sine Registered Senior Member

So... what, guilt by indirect association? Like sandy said, what if the NAACP or some GLBT group supported him? Does that mean their interests become his interests? No. Just because I would vote for Ron Paul doesn't mean we entirely agree. Besides, the voters choose him, he doesn't choose his voters.

17. otheadp Banned Banned

let me rephrase that: the majority of his support comes from the far left. but some comes from White Power groups which are the far right.

18. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Do you have a source for this demography?

19. otheadp Banned Banned

google news.

20. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Link to an article?

21. countezero Registered Senior Member

There is a difference, of course. But I wasn't aware the NAACP advocated for equal rights at this time. In fact, I think it would be tough for them to do so, considering blacks have equal rights (and in many cases extraordinary protections, such as hate crime laws) in this country in every region. The NAACP, who I have had plenty of experience with on the job, largely operate as political enforcers and vote-getters for a certain ilk of black politician.

Now I'm certain Tiassa will call me a racist for saying all this, but nothing could be further from the truth. It is the NAACP who largely engage in racism, and the majority of it is against their own people. For example, one of the most bizarre interviews I ever conducted was with a regional leader of the organization. Basically, he had chosen to inject himself in a local political dispute with a city council by labellings several blacks "house niggers" and "Uncle Tom's" for having the temerity to oppose the black mayor and vote with the "white people," the majority of whom were fellow Democrats. This is all anecdotal, of course. But where I live I have seen little from the NAACP beyond the sort of incident I just outlined. They behave this way over and over...

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Must be a regional thing.

Well, in theory. I mean, blacks have had equal rights ever since the Fourteenth Amendment. Hasn't meant much in practice.

That's so cute ....

23. peta9 Registered Senior Member

Honestly, we all know politicians lie and don't reveal thier true opinions if it hurts them. It's a popularity game until they can get infiltrate. Anyone who thinks a racist would reveal they are who is trying to run for office is retarded. Of course they would deny it.

The point is, can you sniff'em out for what they really are and thier agenda.

Racist and supremacist groups know damn well what they have to do. if you go to the front, they discuss this all the time regarding how they need to appear nonradical, gain supporters and keep thier true intentions hidden otherwise they will get nowhere. They mutate and camoflauge as well. They hope to gain power and then do thier deeds, simple as that.