And yet another DaVinci Code

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Orleander, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

AURGH!! This could be anything anyone wants itto be. At the very least Jesus's head should be a note.

picture of notes

Leonardo's 'Last Supper' Hides True Da Vinci Code

Hidden Score Nov. 9, 2007 -- A real da Vinci code is indeed hidden within Leonardo's "The Last Supper," according to a book to be published in Italy next week.

But rather than conspiracy theories, the new code points to a hidden musical score, a sacred text and a three-dimensional chalice.

"This is not another spin-off of Dan Brown's novel. It's real," musician Giovanni Maria Pala told Discovery News in an exclusive interview. "I've always been intrigued by the possibility of finding a (piece of) music in the Last Supper, but I would have never imagined to find myself decoding a secret message by Leonardo."

Indeed, Leonardo was an accomplished lyre player who also enjoyed hiding puzzles in his work.....

"I was first struck by the tablecloth, which features horizontal lines but also vertical lines in correspondence with the pieces of bread. This made me think immediately of music notes on a pentagram. I tried to play the notes, but it did not work. Looking at single details wasn't the correct approach," Pala said...

The Apostles, represented in groups of three, gave him a hint that the piece should be played in 3/4-time, like much 15th-century music. But it was their hands, always in relation to the breads on the table, that provided the real score -- to be read from right to left, in line with Leonardo's writing.

"I marked the pieces of bread on the table and the Apostle's hands as music notes. Then I drew a pentagram over the scene between the tablecloth and Jesus' face. I couldn't believe my ears when I played the music. It sounded really solemn, almost like a requiem," Pala said... .

"I think there are too many things fitting together, and cannot just be coincidences," Pala said.

His discovery is sure to raise controversy.