How much do you Download ?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Challenger78, Nov 4, 2007.

?

How much do you download ?

1. Nothing much, just the usual windows updates (<5 GB)

18.2%
  2. Need it for work (<10 GB)

18.2%
  3. Need for Speed (<30GB)

18.2%
  4. More.. MUST HAVE SOME MORE (<50 GB)

18.2%
  5. Trying to download the interweb (50 GB and over)

27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Well ?
    Do you usually get curses from your family members about downloading and causing the entire household to be capped ? I do...
    I've put what i think is reasonable amounts, If you're a huge terabyte downloader..good luck.
    Currently I'm on a 150 GB a month plan, because i was sick of being capped.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I'm on an Uncapped 10-20Mbit line however even though there is no overall cap it doesn't stop the service provider fobbing myself and others off with the 'throttling' contention ratio, who when of course question are likely to try and make out that a persons 'technical limitations' is probably responsible like a misconfigured IP address, router or computer and therefore the limited bandwidth is that persons own doing (swollocks)

There is also another point that occurs in a persons transfer of data that only the real geeks and conspiracy buff's concern themselves about and thats the Echelon project (or some such similar 'real' project). Having governments filter internet traffic for particular keywords means processing information at a set speed, If a company says they will up the output to 20Mbit or higher then the filter processing has to be able to deal with that speed, otherwise it would throttle it based upon available processing power and backbone speed. In essence, it's the reason why the internet crawls along far slower than it should.

As for amount downloaded, depends on if I'm downloading new demo's over XBOX live or updates, addon's, OS packages like the latest BSD etc.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i have a 12gb cap on my internet(i try to stay 1 or 2 under it just in case), but at least i get 768k/128k(supposedly 2mbit/512k) speeds. the only options other than dialup(if you can get that with the dodgy phone lines) are wireless and satellite, and not being able to afford $2000 for a satellite install i just have to make do with the 120km wireless connection

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Yeah, dude, My downloads always reach above 30, but if you count off peak, my downloads reach 70GB . I've got a good ISP unlike the Shitty Bigpond ..who counts UPLOADS *Gasp*, Why do people need Satellite though ?and what are it's advantages ?

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

there is only one advantage, and that is you can get it anywhere. where i live half of the TOWNS are without adsl, let alone the farms. and there is only so far a wireless connection can reach.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

12 gigs a month it's the best normal subscription you can get in belgium

10. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I have no cap, so I have no idea how much I download/upload.

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Seesh... if I were capped, I would cry. After that, I would find a new ISP. "Back in the day" I would download at least 30 gigs a month. I have been so busy lately that I don't really download anymore.

12. Gustav Banned Banned

its a matter of focus
    downloading is, to a large percentage, a background task. sentience is require to search and iniate process.the d/l will then proceed with or without your input.

search can be refined by establishing and maintaining reliable sources
    initiation, by infrastructure tweaked just so

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

it boils down to ones disposition and outlook on life
    simplify or complicate

i know
    cos i fluctuate b/w the two
    and self flagellate if found wanting

13. Gustav Banned Banned

i am on a commercial network now. rr to be exact.
    yet, with 2 clicks, vpn and rdc, i could be on an .edu network. that translates to virtually unlimited resources

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

you have no idea how much i envy you

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Ok, In layman terms please ?
    I can only figure out Virtual Private Network, and wait Don't you have to connect to the network using a ISP ? and all access is through that ISP or is it changed when you change VPN ?

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I only download slutbots.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Same here but it can't be more than a couple of 100 mb's a month. Apart from the normal website trafficking of course.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Nothing because it is illegal.

And I support capitalism.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Downloading is not illegal in itself.

20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I download mainly Tom Cruise movies.

Live Well, Tom Cruise

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

yes it is.

Downloading is stealing

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Then you are stealing right now.. You can legally download shareware programs, images, websites (like you are doing right now) etc.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I download communism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.