Westboro Church loses Lawsuit in Funeral Protest

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by madanthonywayne, Nov 2, 2007.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Some good news. Those scumbags from theWestboro Church who go around protesting a soldiers funerals:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

These people are despicable. Really despicable.

Anyway, they lost a lawsuit filed by the family of one of the soldiers whose funeral they protested. The court awarded $11 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

Normally, I hate punitive damages. But these sickos deserve it. Of all places to protest, the funeral of a fallen soldier.

Protest in Washington. Protest downtown. Protest at the park. DO NOT PROTEST AT THE FUNERAL OF A SOLDIER WHO DIED DEFENDING HIS COUNTRY! His family deserves respect and time to mourn the loss of their loved one, not a mob of jackasses waving signs proclaiming that death to be a good thing.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-westboro1031,0,7191706.story

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

...sinless or sinners...all shall receive the judgment of their own subconsciousness mind. The court might have taken away the life they had, but they have taken away far more from themselves than that...than have taken away their belief.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

I sure hope they received jail time to reflect on their views of society morals...which they perceive wrong.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

one of their main points was bs that funerals are public events how do you come to that conclusion

8. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

about Fred Phelps

I agree that Phelps is despicable.

I had a little backgound information on Fred Phelps that apparantly "just disappeared" from our open-minded fact-loving tolerant sciforums community. Imagine that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_phelps#Democratic_Party

First of all, he's a democrat:

Secondly he was a civil rights lawyer for african americans. The NAACP even awaded him with honors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_phelps#Civil_Rights_Attorney

He really doesn't fit anyone's mold. Some people want to link fundamentalists with slave-owners, but obviously the stereotype doesn't fly when you consider Fred Phelps. Fundamentalists do not consider Phelps a fundamentalist -- they consider his group a hate-cult. Baptists do not accept any relationship or affiliation with Westboro Independent Baptist. Neither has Phelps been educated in seminary, and he has not been ordinated to preach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church#Opposition_to_Westboro.27s_theology

Our community had a military funeral that his group planned to protest. We barred the cemetary with a human shield of community volunteers and church members joined hand-in-hand.

Will I be reprimanded for saying this? :shrug:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  9. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

It looks like Phred lost it some time between the 1960s and now. Some kinds of mental illness do develop later in life.

10. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I agree. He was disbarred to practice law, and he needs help. But it's getting pretty late because he is 77 years old.

11. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

How was he able to sue? The ACLU has come to the aid of other hate groups, I wonder why they aren't hlping this so called church. That little boy holding a sign in front of his parent...reminds me of this

12. maxg Registered Senior Member

Probably not but I'm certainly tired of seeing the same post (I believe this is the 3rd time you've posted it). The guy's a nut job--I think that's pretty well established.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

He's got a whole flock of supporters who don't agree.

14. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

I'm kind of tired of seeing somebody delete it/move it/whatever. Can you link me to the other two posts?

thanks much

15. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

The NAACP commended Fred Phelps for helping them repeal the Jim Crowe laws, back when he was a civil rights attorney. Your post is kind of a contradiction wouldn't you say?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  16. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Merged to the end of this thread.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=1606405

Left me a little disoriented, I have to say.

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Haw! Phelps loses. Sort of figured he would. Now if they can just split his cult up and scatter them around the country.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I just wanna know why they aren't helping him. They helped the KKK when they wanted to have ralleys.

19. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I started this thread, and had never seen that post before. It certainly has a direct bearing on the thread topic.

20. Bells Staff Member

Indeed.

Hate to think of the kind of indoctrination the child holding the sign is subject to.

Yes, good idea. Spread them around the country so they can appeal to more whacko's around the country, allowing their belief to also spread.

Yes he was. However it appeared as though he had a brain fart.

A formal complaint was filed against Fred W. Phelps, Sr. on November 8, 1977 by the Kansas State Board of Law Examiners for his conduct during a lawsuit against a court reporter named Carolene Brady. Brady had failed to have a court transcript ready for Phelps on the day he asked for it; though it did not affect the outcome of the case for which Phelps had requested the transcript, Phelps still requested $22,000 in damages from her. In the ensuing trial, Phelps called Brady to the stand, declared her a hostile witness, and then cross-examined her for nearly a week, during which he accused her of being a "slut," tried to introduce testimony from former boyfriends whom Phelps wanted to subpoena, and accused her of a variety of perverse sexual acts, ultimately reducing her to tears on the stand.[18] Phelps lost the case; according to the Kansas Supreme Court:

The trial became an exhibition of a personal vendetta by Phelps against Carolene Brady. His examination was replete with repetition, badgering, innuendo, belligerence, irrelevant and immaterial matter, evidencing only a desire to hurt and destroy the defendant. The jury verdict didn't stop the onslaught of Phelps. He was not satisfied with the hurt, pain, and damage he had visited on Carolene Brady.[18]​

In an appeal, Phelps prepared affidavits swearing to the court that he had eight witnesses whose testimony would convince the court to rule in his favor. Brady, in turn, obtained sworn, signed affidavits from the eight people in question, all of whom said that Phelps had never contacted them and that they had no reason to testify against Brady; Phelps had committed perjury.[18]

On July 20, 1979, Fred Phelps was permanently disbarred from practicing law in the state of Kansas,[18] but continued to practice in the Federal courts.

In 1985, nine Federal judges filed a disciplinary complaint against Phelps and five of his children, alleging false accusations against the judges. In 1989, the complaint was settled, with Phelps agreeing to permanently stop practicing in Federal court, and two of his children suspended for periods of six months and one year.[19]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_phelps#Civil_Rights_Attorney
    The man gives lawyers a bad name.

Reading about this guy makes my skin crawl. If ever there was a definition of a slug, Phelps would be right up there. He should not be allowed to roam free. He is a blight on humanity in general.

21. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Maybe they came to the aid of other hate groups when said hate groups were using more appropriate venues. Phred's church members can and do haunt street corners in public places that are public, harassing no one in particular, and they used to pick the corner of 10th and Gage, next to the zoo, IIRC. If they were driven away from that, the ACLU would probably help them.

22. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

THAT takes a bit of doing.

23. ChristopherFloyd Registered Member

Hi

:m: I just wanna know why they aren't helping him. They helped the KKK when they wanted to have ralleys.........:shrug:

staffingpower dot com

sentersoftech dot com