Allah, The Moon God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by superrubbish, Oct 27, 2007.

1. superrubbish Registered Member

This is old I know, but was Allah actually pagan Moon God called al-ilah?

I found the source here

Clicky the Linky >>> faithfreedom.org/Articles/skm30804.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Non-Logical-Idea-Guy Fat people can't smile. Registered Senior Member

i cant clicky the linky :'(

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sandy Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hey Super

hows it going..

It does not matter what Allah was meant to ahve been.... its all to do with what your perception is..

i could worship an entity called Allah, who i think is a moon God!!! But i worship God who is the Most merciful, Master for the day of judgement, etc etc.... he aint got nothing to do with moons apart from the fact that he created them

Its the meaning behind the word that counts

~~~~~~~
    cheers
    zak

8. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

"Ilah" is the generic arabic word for deity or "lord" (see the Hebrew word "El" or "Eloha" or the Aramaic "Alaha" for cognates, all of which are the "names" of God). It's more of a title than a name, and it applies for more beings than just Allah in Arabic, as even false gods are "ilah" to that god's followers. "Al-Ilah" just means "the god" so is not exactly a slam dunk that the similarity in the names means an identity between the former "Al-ilah" and "Allah" (any more than one could assert that Michael Bloomberg is Rudy Giuliani in disguise, based on their both being called "the Mayor" once upon a time).

There are similarities between the two, but the Koran was a substantive theological break from the pre-existing religion of the region, not just a reflavoring of the story of the Arabic moon god, and my understanding is that practicing muslims aware of the similarities understand that the former moon god was a false god, separate and distinct from Allah, despite any similarities in the title or otherwise.

[Quran 41:37]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  9. Ilyasino Registered Member

Superubbish

Thank you for the link to the article written by Syed Kamran Mirza.
    Syed Kamran Mirza is just merely another bigoted money hunger attempt to make more money by writing books and parroting the idiotic claims of Dr. Robert Morey.
    Without getting into the particulars, which would make this post too long for a person with average attention-span to read, I'll simply offer, "Semitic Languages 101":

Bet (Hebrew) =
    Bayt (Arabic) =
    House (English),

Yom (Hebrew) =
    Yawm (Arabic) =
    Day (English),

Navi (Hebrew) =
    Nabi (Arabic) =
    Prophet (English),

Shalom (Hebrew) =
    Salaam (Arabic) =
    Peace (English),

Ach (Hebrew) =
    Akh (Arabic) =
    Brethren (English),

Saddaka (Hebrew) =
    Saddaqa (Arabic) =
    Charity (English),

Shlema (Hebrew) =
    Islam (Arabic) =
    Submission (English),

...now pay attention, here's the good part:

Elah, or Elohiim (Hebrew) =
    Allah, or Allahumma (Arabic) =
    Alah, or Alaha (Aramaic) =
    GOD (English).

In short, Allah/Allahumma-Elah/Elohiim-Alah/Alaha all represent the SAME Name for the Diety in three very closely related languages, specifically, the languages of Muhammad, Moses and Jesus (alayhimus-Salaam) respectively.

Therefore I suggest that the author of the article first undertakes honest, unbiased inquiry, rather than mindlessly repeats lies from greedy hate-mongers, before he again presumes to "enlighten" the rest of us concerning Whom he thinks Muslims worship.
    If, in his bigoted arrogance and willful ignorance, he accuses Muslims of worshipping a "pagan moon god", he accuses Moses and Jesus of the same thing.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Faithfreedom is a crappy hate site. Anyway, what's the difference between a moon god and any other god? Just different flavors of insanity.

11. Roman Banned Banned

Whoa, calm down Zac! It's not like anyone made offensive cartoons of the Prophet.

Seriously, you religious fucks need to stop feeling so threatened when your religion is scrutinized. That means all of you.

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Calling religious people insane is unwarranted. Please don't do that here any more. Insanity is a medical condition in which each case needs to be examined by a psychiatrist.

13. Roman Banned Banned

What about calling religious people stupid? Or do we need to administer IQ tests?

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

If you can argument that, go ahead, but I think that it is more suited in some other subforum, preferably Religion.

15. DeepThought Banned Banned

# Mirror, round: The Moon is called the heavenly mirror in Central Asia and many other parts of the world. The mirror is a Goddess symbol sometimes called a soul-carrier or soul-catcher. Some cultures believed that the souls of the dead went to the Moon to await reincarnation.

http://crypt.eldritchs.com/bos/esbats/moonsymbols.html

16. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Comparing Allah to the moon god may be accurate in the sense of anthropological realism....in that the tradition of Allah may well have adopted certain aspects of earlier al-ilah worship in order to be more palatable.

That said, in the same sense it is many sources strongly suggest that the god "Yahweh"--god of the Jews and Christians was "really" the son of the god El, in the Ugaritic (Canaanite) tradition, and the same sense of anthropological realism suggests that the Jewish faith grew out of an adaptation of those polytheistic roots, adopting a few other elements on its road to monotheism, and the combining of El and his son Yahweh into a single, and sole, deity.

If you want to trace traditions, there is ample evidence that all extant religions come from earlier sources and incorporate elements of other religions that we might now find questionable. If you look at the history, no religion seems to have sprung up from pure revelation divorced from the influence of the time and place in which it was created and the earlier religions which preceded it.

If anyone wants to denounce one religion on those grounds, then likely no religion will suit their tastes.

17. blobrana Registered Senior Member

Hum,
    the more important aspect to this i feel is that it implies that originally the `god` was actually a composite of a male female duality - and that the female aspect has been deleted or hidden.

18. BlueMoose Guest

-Makes perfect sense if The Sun is The God, does it ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. BlueMoose Guest

-You´re right me thinks, we got the bearded dude whipping the rod now

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What's in a name? If they use the same word to mean different things, does that mean their meanings don't really mean what they say it means?

21. blobrana Registered Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzza

22. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Jung says they come from something even older than that: archetypes, which are instinctive beliefs preprogrammed in our DNA. (To translate it into modern terminology. He died just as we were beginning to figure out DNA).
    I don't think we should say that any of those is the name for a deity. They are words for deities as a class of referents. Abraham or someone who inspired him provided the monotheistic model to the Middle East, but before that those people were polytheists like everybody else because, to take a Jungian perspective, polytheism uses a certain collection of key archetypes in a positive way (by calling them gods) whereas monotheism turns them all negative (by calling them pagan idols). Those people used the word for god in the plural, and that plural form still exists in the modern descendants of their languages.

If "God" were the name of a unique creature, there would be no reason for the plural form "gods" to even exist.
    I don't have a big problem with that.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

A bit like in Latvian. One of the things crusaders found strange to cope with when they tried to christenize the people here.

Dievs (Dievas in Lithianian) is the name for the main Baltic sky/creator diety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dievs

Also see:
    “Dievas davė dantis; Dievas duos duonos” (Lithuanian)
    "Dievs deva zobus; Dievs dos donu" (Latvian)
    “Devas adadāt datas; Devas dāt (or dadāt) dhānās” (Sanskrit)
    “Deus dedit dentes; Deus dabit panem” (Latin)
    (“God gave the teeth; God will give bread”).

Besides Dievs being the main deity, the general world "diety" in Latvian and Lithuanian is dievs or dievas. So we have a dievs Pērkons, a dievs Ūsiņš, a dieviete (goddess) Laima, a dieviete Māra, and a dievs Dievs.

So in Latvian and Lithianian we have a god by the name of Dievs (Dievas) and the general name for a diety "dievs" or "dievas".