Calling doctors

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by whitewolf, Oct 25, 2007.

1. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

A month ago or so, I saw an animal that was stricken by a car on a road near my house. The animal was the size of a grown cat, it was grey, but with a narrow snout and bare pink tail. The animal was still moving when I saw it, but I couldn't understand what it was. If it was a rat, I reasoned, I shouldn't come near; but if it's not a rat, I should come and try to help it. But then, even if it is a rat, shouldn't I still come and help?

Help would involve calling up a veterinarian because I am not qualified to give first aid to animals. But would a veterinarian consider me stupid if I called him to help a beaten giant rat?

Same question goes to all buddhists, pro-lifeists, etc.: What would you do in my situation?

It is a serious question. I was deeply affected. I still have no appropriate decision on the matter and I've had nightmares.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

opposum?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Good lord, that's what it was, yes.

But what if it was an ordinary grey rat? Would a vet. still have to help it?

Edit: well, opossums are essentially giant rats, they're also rodents except they're bigger and not as domesticated.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

Do you know how I see death? an opportunity to be free...let it be free, let it's suffering end. If it want to live, let it crawl out of death by itself.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, you have lots more problems than that damn possum! You should check yourself in to a qualified funny farm that's well equipped with padded rooms.

Baron Max

9. draqon Banned Banned

death is a chance to be free to those who have nothing to strive for in life...let it all go. Nightmares...fears...dreams...illusions...let it all go.

10. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I am an animal lover and a girl. If it was a cat I would've been very sad. Shouldn't I be equally sad no matter what species the roadkill is?

Oh, when I was in Latvia this summer, we passed by a roadkilled fox. It wasn't very badly hit, it was dead and neat. I screamed for my buddy to stop the car so that we could get fur and shishkebabs, but he wouldn't do it. Was I being strange? How often are you presented with a freshly killed red fox, considering that shooting one is probably illegal in most countries?

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Everything dies. Things die all around us, all over the world, every nano-second of our own lives. To be so frightened of death is completely ignorant, and to be "deeply affected" and to have nightmares about it is .....pretty weird and strange!

Baron Max

12. draqon Banned Banned

difference between man and woman is how each sex handles issues...one with apathy, the other with emotions.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'm an animal lover, too, but death is as much a part of life as breathing. If you're truly an animal lover, then you should know that.

No, you shouldn't be happy to see an animal die, but you should accept it in much the same way you accept their harsh lives. Death is part of life ...why accept one yet allow the other to traumatize you?

Yep, a nice quiet padded cell would help you a lot.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I thought we were suppose to accept women as equals?

Baron Max

15. draqon Banned Banned

we are supposed to be true to our hearts, and not just the logical cold thinking. Recognize weaknesses and help others in their weaknesses. yes, no one is equal...but we can make this world a more common ground if we accept others more dearly to our own keen.

16. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Most vets would not treat an opossum that I know of.

Wildlife Rehabilitation Centers are where you would contact. For an opossum, they would most likely require you to bring it to them, and would probably advise you not to try to capture it yourself. Possums have insanely sharp teeth.

This is an excellent source page for alot of rehab info.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Their Main Page:
    http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/index.htm

17. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

You went off the subject.

The animal I saw was hit but still alive. If I'd see a human that was hit and alive, a qualified physician would be obligated to help no matter to what race or country the person belonged. If a dog is in need of help, people usually get veterinarians. It could still have been possible to save the animal I saw on the road, considering our modern medical advancement.

I understand that at some point life should be let go and we probably ought not waste time on people in comas and with severe disabilities, but that's not the accepted ethics in the field of medicine. In the field of medicine, all life should be preserved for as long as possible.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Your idealism is overwhelming the realities of the world. Ya' know what they call people like that? .....victims!

Baron Max

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Then why didn't you call a vet's office for assistance? I mean, you're here asking silly questions, yet did you do anything for the poor animal? Did you try to call, did you try flag down other motorists, did you .....do anything except come here and post your ....ahhh, question?

Baron Max

20. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I don't act before philosophising. No, I went past it and did nothing. The incident took place over a month ago. My concern and nightmares are for purely ethical reasons. I am not the person to act against my principles, but I don't have a principle on this particular issue. Also, I thought it might have been a rat.

You seem unable to grasp the complexity of the dilemma. It relates to how we do things in this country overall, not merely little animals. Don't you think it'd be discrimination if I called for help for a cat but not for a rat?

21. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Thank you.

22. mountainhare Banned Banned

If the opossum was injured due to human intervention, then humans should intervene to assist it.

If the opossum was injured by an eagle, then that's a little more dicey. I'd probably still help it, given that it had the fortitude and strength to evade a bird of prey, and has earned a second chance at life.

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Possums are not rodents. They are marsupials.

They have an extraordinary ability to recover from serious injury.

And they have a fine set of very large, sharp teeth, and a hell of a bite.

And they have fleas, ticks, mites, diseases, and various internal parasites that are not good for you, sometimes. Plus rabies, IIRC.

I would not approach an injured possum on the road, except to move it off the pavement with a stick if I wanted to help it. Or hit it with my car to ease its dying.

There are vets who could help, in some areas - people raise possums, for pets and for meat.