Why are americans fat?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by spuriousmonkey, Oct 18, 2007.

1. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It is often thought that Americans are fat due to the excessive amount of fast food they consume in combination with a lessened exercise regime.

Although these factors may have caused minor increases in obesity levels we suggest an alternative theory that makes more sense; literally.

1. The brain uses 20% of the energy available to the body, although it is only 1/50th of the entire body.

2. Experiments with dogs have shown that you can raise the energy expenditure of these animals by stimulating their mind; by making them think. (ref: personal communication with scientist)

3. Americans not only suffer from a fast food culture; they also suffer from a uncomplicated mind culture. Culture is served in repeatedly limited easily assimilated chunks of low information content.

Taking all these facts together we propose that the American people are fat because they do not think enough.

Primary evidence:
    1. Americans are one of the fattest people on earth.

Secondary evidence:
    1. MTV'zation of TV culture
    2. Dumbing down of college and other educational programs.
    3. voting for Bush twice.

References:
    - Increase in Obesity in the USA
    - Child's brain uses more energy than adult's

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There is also:

1. greater variety of food products: you eat more if there are more colors in M&M's than if there is only one.

2. portion size

3. More liquid meals equals less satiety

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v24/n6/full/0801229a.html

4. most Americans are sedentary

References and further reading:

Physical Activity and Good Nutrition:Essential Elements to Prevent Chronic Diseases and Obesity

POLICY STATEMENT Prevention of Pediatric Overweight and Obesity

Weight control information network

CDC

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Because people can't control themselves when they eat for the most part.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but that's too easy and it doesn't generate enough sensationalism ....so "scientists" are awarded billions in contracts to "discover" why people get fat.

I wonder why no one in Darfur is fat? Could it be that blacks are different to whites?

Baron Max

8. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Heh! Just keep in mind that the OP is primarily meant as satire rather than a serious presentation.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Satire is only good satire when it's easily recognized as satire by the general reading public. Otherwise, it's just plain stupid bullshit.

Baron Max

10. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

No, it's satire, the fact that you might not recognise it like most of the general public is why it's so damn gorgeous!

11. Why? Registered Senior Member

Americans are fat because we have lost our blue collar workers. Americans engage in sedentary jobs found in the service sector. We simply do not get the exercise we used to. In addition, our diets are full of cheap foods doctored with cheap but high calorie flavoring agents, such as fat, sugar, and corn oil. The cheap food is the result of capitalism attempting to make the most profit.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Immigrants who come to the US gain weight in proportion to the time spent here

How do you explain that?

This is exacerbated in second and third generations

Reference:

Obesity among US immigrant subgroups by duration of residence.
    JAMA. 2004 Dec 15;292(23):2860-7.

Adolescent obesity increases significantly in second and third generation U.S. immigrants:
    the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health
    J Nutr. 1998 Apr;128(4):701-6.

13. peta9 Registered Senior Member

um..because they are living the same lifestyle.

14. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

OMG...I actually agree with Why.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

Using superior intellect (thus staying thin due to elevated levels of brain activity)I've discovered the secret!!!!!!! Healthy weight is achieved by:

(Drum roll)

Eating less. Exercising more.

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

17. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Per post #2 of this thread, you seem to have it all down.
    Why don't YOU explain it to us?

That starts early in life there. Technology is a contributing factor as well. Children spend more time on their ever fattening asses playing video games, texting, yakking on their cell phones(but most women do that anyway as well), or on the internet, instead of outside with their friends riding bikes, or playing touch football.
    I spent quite a bit of time playing video games when I was a kid but I also spent a lot of time outdoors playing in the sandbox, playing with my Transformers and G.I. Joes, and riding my bmx and dirt bike.
    Technology is also a contributing factor where food is concerned. Americans are more on the go now than they ever have been. Time that is reserved for dinner has been truncated. There is very little time nowadays to devote to cooking meals. On the go means fast food, microwavable dinners(plenty of MSGs in those), candy bars, and the like.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How does that explain this:

19. peta9 Registered Senior Member

all this can and is being remedied such as organic food, healthier choices even at fast-food joints etc as well as diets, health shakes etc are all the outcome of this.

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

As NF said, wealth has a contributing factor. Poor and working class are far more likely to be obese, as they tend to consume the "cheaper", less healthy fast foods...trying to maximize their food dollar.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats actually corrected for in epidemiological analyses.

22. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I'm sorry but the so called poor are able to eat even more than other americans. They really can eat almost as much as they want, unless they are in a "working poor" situation.

By global standards the north american "poor" are wealthy.

23. peta9 Registered Senior Member

I don't know about this study because not a SINGLE one of my second, third generation friends are overweight, they are thin. LOL.

If it is true, then it must be lifestyle such as playing too many video games and less physical activity. Also, american food might really do a number on them because of their genetics. Who knows.