Is this in the Bible

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by John99, Oct 12, 2007.

1. John99 Banned Banned

Are these Bible quotes true? I seen this on another site and found it ninteresting.:

I am assuming the quotes are accurate, i will check on them but like i said they are probably in there.

Were these things written similarly in other texts from the period. The last one seems to imply a spherical object floating in space...that sounds like the Earth.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

Oh geez what have you been looking at scientific miracles of the quran and thought about doing the same with the bible

Just look up the debunking of the quran miracles the same applies here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

The first one is debatable, the other two are true.

No.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

These aren't miracles.

8. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

I was only using that because of the reference to "scientific miracles of the quran" which was peddled on the net awhile back.

9. John99 Banned Banned

Thanks.

No, they are not miracles and i just wanted to know if they were in there just like people want to know about other things.

10. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

By 'interesting', you mean being a bible thumper, you are one step away from yelling "HALLYLUJA!"

They may be quite close to being true, but clearly a guess and not divinely revealed. Another Bible quote suggests that the Earth is unmovable and fixed which is clearly that is not true.

Several bible quotes suggest the Earth is flat:

"take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it (Job 38:12-13)

A sphere has no edges

"[T]he devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them"
    (Matthew 4:1-12)

On a round Earth you can not see all the kingdoms of the world.

11. VitalOne Banned Banned

None of this matters to atheists, you see using an atheistic tactic no matter what atheists can just say "yeah well so what, its just a lucky guess, anyone could've randomly guessed these things to be true, it doesn't mean anything", they do this in order to preserve the atheistic faith, atheism is unfalsifiable, just like any other faith-based belief system or religion

There's no convincing an atheist, they've already firmly made up their minds to never believe

12. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

What you have to realize, is that certain matters of nature could yield what appears to be an accurate guess. This is not just confined to scripture, but also secular science and philosophy. But in these matters, accurate guesses are in a minority. To see this, just look at how many claims the Bible makes about the physical universe which we can now state as being wrong guesses. It's not the fault of the writers... science also makes lots of guesses, but works to prove each guess wrong to get closer to the truth.

What really would impress me would be if the Bible went into any detail which would then rule out 'lucky guesses'. For example, Greek philosophers hinted at the existence of atom-like particles, but they could never guess it's finer qualities which is where science came in. Same goes for the Bible when it has never made precise claims that have been later validated.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

... the claims of delusional theists. Correct.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

Incorrect. I actually know these already. They are true, and proves that the Bible is actually scientifically correct.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

Clutching at straws my friend. The Bible says the Earth is round...

''They may be quite close to being true, but clearly a guess and not divinely revealed. Another Bible quote suggests that the Earth is unmovable and fixed which is clearly that is not true.''

Yes but in relativity, it don't matter how big you are. Everything is frozen in time.

16. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Well the quotes I posted are certainly not from people who believed the Earth to be round. But enlighten me to where the Bible states the Earth is round anyway.

Riiiight...

17. Reiku Banned Banned

Hi

Isaiah 40:22 claims the earth is round.

18. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I left my Bible in Sunday school, could you quote the passage?

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Like a plate?

20. Reiku Banned Banned

Isaiah 40:22
    ''He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, andits peoples are but mere grasshoppers.''

21. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Now then, is that a flat circle or a sphere? :shrug:

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

For instance, in the case of Isaiah 40:22, what actually appears in the Bible is this: "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." Whether or not Morris and Clark are aware of it, a circle is in no way equivalent to a sphere: a sphere is a three-dimensional object, whereas a circle is a two-dimensional shape. It was to the latter, of course, that ancient humans believed the earth to be analogous. That is, they thought it a flat, circular slice of land over the edges of which flowed the seas and over which, in the "Heaven of Heavens," resided the Creator of the world. Furthermore, it seems quite likely that Isaiah is here actually referring to the ancient Hebrew concept of the universe, of which his "canopy" simile seems denotative. It was that concept, in fact, which envisioned the firmament as being comparable to a vast dome, the heighest point of which (at the end of the so-called "Gate of Heaven") was occupied by God, far above the clouds and stars.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/steven_conifer/fundamentalism.html

23. Reiku Banned Banned

It will be geometrically 3-D...I really don't think the writers thought on two dimensional plains when considering the earth.