What's with the culture of fear and distrust amongst the far left?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mountainhare, Oct 9, 2007.

1. mountainhare Banned Banned

What's with the culture of fear and distrust amongst the far left? The far left:

- Is so distrusting and fearful of the ordinary civilian, that they will deny them the right to bear arms.

- Is distrusting and fearful of authority figures.

- Fears the expression of certain controversial beliefs and opinions.

And that's just off the top of my head!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

In the new kinder, gentler Sciforums, I am not allowed to say that you are an idiot, so I chose to say nothing at all, instead.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Yourself amongst them?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mountainhare Banned Banned

It's been a year, red...

one_raven:
    I wouldn't worry your bald little head about that. The mods are highly unlikely to give you an infraction for insulting me. Double standards, ya see.

8. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Oh right. What's changed, and where on the spectrum are you now?

9. mountainhare Banned Banned

I'm a misanthrope. Misanthropes can't be commies. I'll retake the test and see what my score is.

10. mountainhare Banned Banned

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.44

I'm still rather leftist regarding economic issues, mainly because I don't trust multinationals to act in the best interests of the community. I'm more rightest regarding social issues, although my atheism pushes me back to the left.

11. maxg Registered Senior Member

Depends on how far left you go. I know some anarchists and marxists who are quite pleased with the right to bear arms. There is also a large portion of the underclass in the US who, if they voted, also endorse the right to bear arms (at least they're strapped on a regular basis).

These 2 apply to the right as well as the left. It depends on who the authority figure is (e.g., Hillary Clinton) and what the belief/opinion is (e.g., teaching evolution in schools, seeing homosexuals marry).

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

The Left seems happy to scare the shit out of everyone and the right seems happy to take away all rights in the call to protect everyone. Two sides of the same coin - Control.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Total projection from the originators of the culture of fear. It is true that people on the left tend to distrust authority figures, but most people do, that's why we have term limits.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you for real ? You mean the lefties are more scared of the ordinary civilian than the ones that want their weapons ? Why do they need weapons again ?

15. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

the left does not want to deny the right to bear arms but it does feel it needs to be regulated and i have never seen anything close to the other 2 things you have said so could you provide examples

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You are authoritarian, not "right".

Atheism is neither left nor right, and neither libertarian nor authoritarian.

There are many leftist authoritarians. You are not alone.

Fearmongering is common from the right, btw - scary stuff about watching your neighbors for terrorist tendencies, Hitlers rising hither and yon with WMDs in their pockets, etc.

17. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

not all of those on the left want to take away a citizens right to bear arms.

-Maybe those in power should not give us reason to distrust them?

-Only when the expressions of those beliefs are made manifest in parts of our country where the constitution prohibits them

18. mountainhare Banned Banned

iceaura:
    According to the quiz, atheism is indeed a leftist trait. The mark of a conservative is being religious.

Anyway, this thread was created as a parody is response to James/SAM's comments about a 'culture of fear' amongst Americans and gun wielders. I find such a statement ironic, given that those who want to deprive citizens of their guns are also fearful and distrustful. If such left wingers trusted civilians to do the right thing, and did not live in a perpetual state of fear of 'what ifs', then they wouldn't be phased by gun toting civilians.

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You bet. Except for the gajillion acolytes of Ayn Rand. The neocon students of Leo Strauss. And the Liberation Theology priests getting murdered by the rightwing thugs in Central America. And the Liberal Quakers. And so forth.

If the quiz puts atheism as a "leftist trait", then we have learned something about the quiz, no?