Negative ion generators - malarkey? or effective way?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Xerxes, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Baloney.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No they are not. I don't know anything about that particular model but most of them also produce ozone which is harmful.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I am going to have a similar device installed in my furnace, in place of the paper filter, because of allergies. I have used small versions, and they are great. It attracts whatever dust is in the air to a metal plate, which you just have to wash every so often.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It's just a air filter basically.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, electrostatic air filter.

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

thanks

yeah, I suspected as much.

11. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Can you prove that?

12. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

I don't know if negative ion generators produce a sense of well being or not, and that is probably an extremely subjective observation anyway. One thing that they do is impart a charge on all nearby airborne particles, causing them to form a precipitate layer on the nearest grounded object. Run one next to a wall for a few weeks and you'll have a thin layer of microscopic grime ingrained so well into your paint that you'll need sanding paper to get it out completely. I'd avoid them but YMMV.

Be advised that the plate surfaces of electrostatic precipitators get saturated with grime pretty quickly, and the EP loses effectiveness rapidly as this happens. They work great until then, though.

That ozone is harmful, or that badly-designed negative ion generators produce it? Both are true, and this is corroborated anywhere you care to look so I won't bother linking to sources.

Read about those gimmicky Ionic Breeze purifiers that Sharper Image sold for a while - the early models produced copious quantities of O3, especially when the charge wires got dirty and started to generate a corona discharge. New models have a post-grid catalyst in them to convert 2(O3) -> 3(O2).

13. draqon Banned Banned

filter air pretty good...but from what I hear it makes men sterile...the ozone molecule that is

14. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Ozone cleanses the air of biotics that cause foul odor and disease because the allotrope results in the formation of hydroxyl (OH-) ions upon contact with water vapor. This is accelerated in the presence of shortwave UV. Hydroxyl ions react with just about anything organic. When they're airborne, they slam into airborne bacteria and organisms, killing them by puncturing the cellular plasma membrane.

Alternately, ozone molecules are extremely reactive in their own right, and will relinquish their third oxygen to anything they can. They'll oxidize metals in short order, and are very corrosive. They'll also react with airborne organisms, killing them by changing their chemical composition.

The problem with indoor ozone is that concentrations of ozone radicals above a certain level (the FDA sets the limit at 0.05 PPM) means that some of those radicals and hydroxyls will find their way into your lungs. Instead of reacting with living stuff in the air, they'll be reacting with stuff inside your body. In high concentrations, ozone can degrade lung function over time by slowly killing the lung tissue (alveoli) that allows gas exchange.

Ozone air and water purification is extremely effective, and used in many different industries, in areas that are universally inhabitated. Ozone doesn't make you sterile.

15. draqon Banned Banned

thank you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But is that 0.05 PPM of ozone really does not damage lungs?

16. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Not enough to worry about it. The concentrations that will really hurt you are the ones that are strong enough to smell clearly. 0.05 PPM is well below most peoples' threshold of detection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.