The Best and Worst Actors

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Reiku, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

Ok, this is totally your choice.

My favorite actor must have to be Gillian Anderson. She came from scotland too.

The worst actor i've seen in motion pictures personally has to be Jet Li... sure, he's good at the moves, but he really is a bad actor. I think the worst film i've ever seen with him in it would be 'The One.' The film would have been soooo much bette if he knew how to act! :bugeye:

What about you guys and garls?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Let's see...it's kind of hard to pick! Best actors...Kate Mulgrew (Capt. Janeway), Avery Brooks (Capt. Sisko), Amanda Tapping (Samantha Carter), Bruce Boxleitner (Capt John Sheridan), Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova)...I just put a top 5.

Worst? Hm, I kind of agree that Will Shatner hammed it up a lot in classic Trek...as did Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith - Lost in Space). I might edit this later on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Wasn't this thread done numerous times already?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

LOL he didn't say anything about Shatner.

Bruce Boxleitner...it's gotta be him.

8. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

gil gerard in Buck rogers is fine

Samuel L Jackson is one of my favorites
    allong with Harrison Ford and Sean Connery
    Mark Walhberg is pretty good.

Actresses as long as they look hot they are fine with me lol

9. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

The worse actress is that long-haired blonde on CSI Miami. She's on half-speed, mumbles and has no expression.

On the male side I was going to say Mr Ed (the talking horse) but he wasn't as bad an actor as a choice above, William Shatner. William had other non-talents such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-yy2URAYqU

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think the Classic Star Trek was meant to be tongue in cheek, hardly 'Shakespearian' in role, I would guess for the most part the 'actors' couldn't keep a straight face.

In essence you should really define what makes a decent actor. Is it the part they play, or the fact they escalate themselves into a role and become the reality of that character (Namely they don't just act, the 'character is real' like somebody having a multiple personality if for the duration of a film shoot.)

You then have the question as whether the actual film, dialogue and overall plot defines how good the actor is too. Since there can be some decent films that get by with less than perfect acting purely because of story and plot where as other films will expose even the best of actors as completely lame if plot is incomprehensible or just outright garbage.

As for who I'd choose, well as you can guess my references would refer to 'crap films', where the director doesn't captivate the best response from the actor themselves. (Acting in films is more down to the Director than the actor IMHO)

11. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Except that Leonard Nimoy was able to portray more expression despite the fact that Spock was supposed to be the rigid character

Don't get me wrong, there were times the Kirk character was admirable, but those times were lesser, overshadowed by the usual forced & overdone antics.

Although I do think it'd be tough to keep a straight face when in a ship fight the actors had to stand up then fling themselves on the ground (stop-drop-roll)