WHat happens to the mentally challenged after grade school?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Thebestchefever, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Thebestchefever Registered Member

I used to know some mentally handicapped children in my grade school and I was wondering what happens after that? Do they get jobs? Or do they stay at their parents house for the rest of their life?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

My friends brother is mentally disabled, he just sits at home and plays video games adn gets a check from the government every month, but the way I see it he got dealt a shitty hand so why should he not get to do what he likes, the parents dont mind either. not that this speaks for all the mentally disabled

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

They work at Walmart.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thebestchefever Registered Member

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be rude or anything but a check from the government? I didn't know that the government did that...

8. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

they do indeed although its not that much but its enough for him to buy more video games and candy..sometimes i envy him

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

They come to sciforums.

10. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

HOW DARE YOU SIR!!!!! :bawl:

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

They move to SciForums...
    Some get (menial) jobs, some don't.
    Depends on ability and desire among other things.
    There used to be a place in Hull in the UK that had nearly 100% mentally handicapped workforce, but I'm buggered if I can remember what the factory produced. :shrug:

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Remploy? The ones packing toiletries?

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Yup Remploy.
    Is that what they did?

14. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Yeah but my arm got too tired so I left.

15. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

They make spoons.

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

There's a business down the street from mine that employs mental handicapped people to pack candles in boxes.

17. maxg Registered Senior Member

Sometimes they get elected president of the United States.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't know what's typical, but one of them lived on my street. Nice guy. He had Williams Syndrome, and frankly was more socially skilled than me. It was kinda funny, one day him and one of his female retard friends passed the Box Man. The Box Man stood on the corner most of the day wearing headphones and holding a small cardboard box on his shoulder. As far as I could tell, the only thing in the box was an umbrella, and his headphones weren't connected to anything. Every hour or so, he would turn 90degrees. Other than that, he seemed normal, and refused any money I tried to offer. So, the retard couple demanded to know why Boxman was standing there, and they couldn't understand, so he called them retards. A verbal battle ensued, but they just ended up walking away grumbling. It seems like a full rich life.

19. John99 Banned Banned

he he. what is the threshold for being mentally handicapped?

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

They continue as a drain, emotionally as well as monetarily, on the families, friends and all of society until they finally die of old age. Or worse, we allow them to breed, thus continue to drain families, friends and all of society even after they're dead.

Baron Max

21. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

some will get jobs some will not, there is a guy who works at out local ASDA and he has no arms, he works on the customer assistant counter. So not all are a drain on families and society

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

:roflmao: Not funny..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Was that "job" set up, paid for and maintained by government or some charitable organization? If so, then it's just one of the many "drains" on society.

Baron Max