Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Is it possible to be asexual?

  1. #21
    Speaker of my truth Wisdom_Seeker's Avatar
    Posts
    2,184
    People that have understood the biology of sex within themselves, and understood the whole illusion of it become bramacharyas (lack of sexual desires).
    This is because the same energy that is used for sex by the body, is the same energy we use for compassion and ultimately prayer.
    The more advanced a monk is, the more compassionate he is, the less sexual he becomes.

  2. #22
    Registered Senior Member Why?'s Avatar
    Posts
    1,896
    As there are gays, it seems there could be asexuals. However, I've never met any adult who had no interest in sex. You can surpress sexual urges to the point where you almost don't think about it, but that is not asexual. That's just surpressed. And as you rightly point out, no sex does not advance evolution. Therefore, true asexuals, if they exist, are defective.

  3. #23
    smoking revolver
    Posts
    19,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom_Seeker View Post
    People that have understood the biology of sex within themselves, and understood the whole illusion of it become bramacharyas (lack of sexual desires).
    This is because the same energy that is used for sex by the body, is the same energy we use for compassion and ultimately prayer.
    The more advanced a monk is, the more compassionate he is, the less sexual he becomes.

    That too. It's sometimes commonly called 'turning around of the shakti', when the energy of the first three chakras is turned around inwards and applied to the person.

  4. #24
    I'm totally asexual when I think of avatar. I'm hypersexual when I think of varda.

  5. #25
    asleep under the juniper bush whitewolf's Avatar
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom_Seeker View Post
    People that have understood the biology of sex within themselves, and understood the whole illusion of it become bramacharyas (lack of sexual desires).
    This is because the same energy that is used for sex by the body, is the same energy we use for compassion and ultimately prayer.
    The more advanced a monk is, the more compassionate he is, the less sexual he becomes.
    People who have understood the biology of sex accept their desires and act out properly.

    Don't speak as if giving life is below you. Children are beautiful, life is beautiful, sweet, natural.

  6. #26
    Registered Senior Member Xev's Avatar
    Posts
    10,943
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    What's the difference between acting nice and being nice? Man is defined by his actions.
    Saturday, my boyfriend very nicely corrected my statement about Al-Jazeera.
    "I think you mean Al-Queda"
    No, dipshit, I meant Al-Jezeera. I wanted to smack him.

    You can be nice - sweet tone, helpful, caring - and be a total asshole.

    In my experience, men who wanted (and got) a lot of sex were the sweetest to me, even if they didn't sleep with me. Their manner was what we call nice throughout: in tone, respect, action.
    Probably because they bored women into unconciousness, then humped their passed-out bodies.

  7. #27
    Speaker of my truth Wisdom_Seeker's Avatar
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    That too. It's sometimes commonly called 'turning around of the shakti', when the energy of the first three chakras is turned around inwards and applied to the person.
    What do you mean by "turned aroung inwards"?

    For what I understand of the energy distribution in the human chakras; regular folks are only using the first three chakras as you said (food, sex and personality). But the fourth chakra (heart chakra) is for transformation of the energy, that´s why we say "heart" when reffering to love or compassion (that dude has a big heart, means he is compassionate). This symbology also exists in the "sacred heart" image of Jesus.

    Through the fourth chakra, the energy flows upwards through the spine towards the brain, were the ultimate realization of men is, the crown chakra, the seventh chakra: samadhi.

  8. #28
    Speaker of my truth Wisdom_Seeker's Avatar
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    People who have understood the biology of sex accept their desires and act out properly.
    Well yes, but sex (passion, lust) is the lowest form of energy we humans experience; love is higher than sex, compassion is even higher than love. Someone who has experienced this, trascends sex.

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    Don't speak as if giving life is below you. Children are beautiful, life is beautiful, sweet, natural.
    Life is not below me, Im a manifestation of life, how can I be "above" it; Im just within it. But Im not speaking about trascending life, Im speaking about trascending sex transforming it into higher states of the same energy, like compassion.

  9. #29
    smoking revolver
    Posts
    19,084
    What do you mean by "turned around inwards"?
    The focus of the energy/attention in the case of sexual desire is another human being, hence outwards.
    In the case of yoga meditation that energy is focused on the mind of the one meditating and is used for the adjustment of psyche, thus inwards.

  10. #30
    Speaker of my truth Wisdom_Seeker's Avatar
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    The focus of the energy/attention in the case of sexual desire is another human being, hence outwards.
    In the case of yoga meditation that energy is focused on the mind of the one meditating and is used for the adjustment of psyche, thus inwards.
    Got ya & agree with ya.

    I would call it "upwards", because the energy will flow upwards if you transform it; it cannot go downwards because that is what sex is all about!! Energy flowing downwards with gravity and finally being expelled throught the sexual organs... To trascend this, a transformation is necessary, like that transformation of water with fire, transforming into vapor that trascends gravity. It is the same, the water (energy) flows downwards because of gravity, but if you transform it through fire (sacred fire, fire of the spirit), it transforms to flow upwards, against gravity. To finally reach higher states of perception of reality.

    This process has been called "inner alchemy", "sexual magic" or "kundalini rising" through the ages!!

  11. #31
    smoking revolver
    Posts
    19,084
    I've always seen that upwards and downwards to be a metaphor.
    As in higher state of mind and lower state of mind, when in reality nothing is physically higher or lower, the mind is in the place.

    Of course practicing yoga you can influence particular parts of your body thus connecting the metaphor with the body, but it's just a helpful trick to better orientate in your own mind.

    I'm no yoga expert, it just seems to me so.

  12. #32
    Speaker of my truth Wisdom_Seeker's Avatar
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    I've always seen that upwards and downwards to be a metaphor.
    As in higher state of mind and lower state of mind, when in reality nothing is physically higher or lower, the mind is in the place.

    Of course practicing yoga you can influence particular parts of your body thus connecting the metaphor with the body, but it's just a helpful trick to better orientate in your own mind.

    I'm no yoga expert, it just seems to me so.
    It seems to be yes, but what about the actual physical position of the chakras? I read in the "Great Book of Chakras", of ancient Tibetan knowledge that the energy flows up and down our body through 2 "etheric" channels: "Ida & Pingala". Those 2 channels keep the energy flowing from our legs to our head, throught the spinal cord, like 2 snakes surrounding it. That is the origin of the "caduceus" used for symbolism of current medicine:
    [IMG],[/IMG]

    Because it is an ancient knowledge attributed to "healers", healers are people who have transformed this energy into compassion.

  13. #33
    smoking revolver
    Posts
    19,084
    Because it is an ancient knowledge attributed to "healers", healers are people who have transformed this energy into compassion.
    From a personal experience I can say that you don't need to follow the way of chakras to transform the energy into compassion. That is just one method that can be used.
    It helps as a visual guide, an image in ones mind, but I don't think it's an absolute truth or anything.

    The reality as I experience it is all energy. You don't need special centers or points of entrance to draw from the power of cosmos. Imagining that there are such centers though helps to focus the attention/energy.

    As for the past knowledge, I'll quote Gautama Buddha from memory (Pali canon).

    "There is no brahmin alive that claims to know the absolute truth. And there is no Brahmin down to the seventh generation that has said to know the absolute truth, the truth that is all and that there is nothing beyond that truth.
    So what if that Brahmin was blind, and the next Brahmin holds to him, and the next, and the next, up to the seventh generation of Brahmins - they all follow blindly the first blind Brahmin just because they believe or have come to a conclusion by pondering that he knows the truth."

    What I mean to say, there is no reason to think that people in the past knew more than we do now. And they could just as well be wrong.
    What matters is personal experience and the results you get through any method that works for you.

    Chakras is a refined and a very, very ancient method indeed. It works. But it's not the only truth.

  14. #34
    Speaker of my truth Wisdom_Seeker's Avatar
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
    From a personal experience I can say that you don't need to follow the way of chakras to transform the energy into compassion. That is just one method that can be used.
    It helps as a visual guide, an image in ones mind, but I don't think it's an absolute truth or anything.

    The reality as I experience it is all energy. You don't need special centers or points of entrance to draw from the power of cosmos. Imagining that there are such centers though helps to focus the attention/energy.

    As for the past knowledge, I'll quote Gautama Buddha from memory (Pali canon).

    "There is no brahmin alive that claims to know the absolute truth. And there is no Brahmin down to the seventh generation that has said to know the absolute truth, the truth that is all and that there is nothing beyond that truth.
    So what if that Brahmin was blind, and the next Brahmin holds to him, and the next, and the next, up to the seventh generation of Brahmins - they all follow blindly the first blind Brahmin just because they believe or have come to a conclusion by pondering that he knows the truth."

    What I mean to say, there is no reason to think that people in the past knew more than we do now. And they could just as well be wrong.
    What matters is personal experience and the results you get through any method that works for you.

    Chakras is a refined and a very, very ancient method indeed. It works. But it's not the only truth.
    Form my understanding, your words sound like truth to me; I mean, you quoted the Buddha. I agree with what you said.

  15. #35
    smoking revolver
    Posts
    19,084
    It's just from my memory, the exact text is somewhere in Canki Sutta; II 168-77

  16. #36
    smoking revolver
    Posts
    19,084
    This is not the best translation, but the first Google found.
    For a more understandable translation see a book "In the Buddha's Words. An Anthology of Discourses from the Pāli Canon", Edited and introduced by Bhikkhu Bodhi, Foreword by the Dalai Lama

    And so the Blessed One, encompassing Kapadika's awareness with his awareness, met his gaze. Kapadika thought, "Gotama the contemplative has turned to me. Suppose I ask him a question." So he said to the Blessed One, "Master Gotama, with regard to the ancient hymns of the brahmans — passed down through oral transmission & included in their canon — the brahmans have come to the definite conclusion that "Only this is true; anything else is worthless." What does Master Gotama have to say to this?"

    "Tell me, Bharadvaja, is there among the brahmans even one brahman who says, 'This I know; this I see; only this is true; anything else is worthless?'"

    "No, Master Gotama."

    "And has there been among the brahmans even one teacher or teacher's teacher back through seven generations who said, 'This I know; this I see; only this is true; anything else is worthless?'"

    "No, Master Gotama."

    "And among the brahman seers of the past, the creators of the hymns, the composers of the hymns — those ancient hymns, sung, repeated, & collected, which brahmans at present still sing, still chant, repeating what was said, repeating what was spoken — i.e., Atthaka, Vamaka, Vamadeva, Vessamitta, Yamataggi, Angirasa, Bharadvaja, Vasettha, Kassapa & Bhagu: was there even one of these who said, 'This we know; this we see; only this is true; anything else is worthless?'"

    "No, Master Gotama."

    "So then, Bharadvaja, it seems that there isn't among the brahmans even one brahman who says, 'This I know; this I see; only this is true; anything else is worthless.' And there hasn't been among the brahmans even one teacher or teacher's teacher back through seven generations who said, 'This I know; this I see; only this is true; anything else is worthless.' And there hasn't been among the brahman seers of the past, the creators of the hymns, the composers of the hymns... even one who said, 'This we know; this we see; only this is true; anything else is worthless.' Suppose there were a row of blind men, each holding on to the one in front of him: the first one doesn't see, the middle one doesn't see, the last one doesn't see. In the same way, the statement of the brahmans turns out to be a row of blind men, as it were: the first one doesn't see, the middle one doesn't see, the last one doesn't see. So what do you think, Bharadvaja: this being the case, doesn't the conviction of the brahmans turn out to be groundless?"

    "It's not only out of conviction, Master Gotama, that the brahmans honor this. They also honor it as unbroken tradition."

    "Bharadvaja, first you went by conviction. Now you speak of unbroken tradition. There are five things that can turn out in two ways in the here-&-now. Which five? Conviction, liking, unbroken tradition, reasoning by analogy, & an agreement through pondering views. These are the five things that can turn out in two ways in the here-&-now. Now some things are firmly held in conviction and yet vain, empty, & false. Some things are not firmly held in conviction, and yet they are genuine, factual, & unmistaken. Some things are well-liked... truly an unbroken tradition... well-reasoned... Some things are well-pondered and yet vain, empty, & false. Some things are not well-pondered, and yet they are genuine, factual, & unmistaken. In these cases it isn't proper for a knowledgeable person who safeguards the truth to come to a definite conclusion, 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless."

    "But to what extent, Master Gotama, is there the safeguarding of the truth? To what extent does one safeguard the truth? We ask Master Gotama about the safeguarding of the truth."

    "If a person has conviction, his statement, 'This is my conviction,' safeguards the truth. But he doesn't yet come to the definite conclusion that 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless.' To this extent, Bharadvaja, there is the safeguarding of the truth. To this extent one safeguards the truth. I describe this as the safeguarding of the truth. But it is not yet an awakening to the truth.

    "If a person likes something... holds an unbroken tradition... has something reasoned through analogy... has something he agrees to, having pondered views, his statement, 'This is what I agree to, having pondered views,' safeguards the truth. But he doesn't yet come to the definite conclusion that 'Only this is true; anything else is worthless.' To this extent, Bharadvaja, there is the safeguarding of the truth. To this extent one safeguards the truth. I describe this as the safeguarding of the truth. But it is not yet an awakening to the truth.

    "Yes, Master Gotama, to this extent there is the safeguarding of the truth. To this extent one safeguards the truth. We regard this as the safeguarding of the truth. But to what extent is there an awakening to the truth? To what extent does one awaken to the truth? We ask Master Gotama about awakening to the truth."

    "There is the case, Bharadvaja, where a monk lives in dependence on a certain village or town. Then a householder or householder's son goes to him and observes him with regard to three mental qualities — qualities based on greed, qualities based on aversion, qualities based on delusion: 'Are there in this venerable one any such qualities based on greed that, with his mind overcome by these qualities, he might say, "I know," while not knowing, or say, "I see," while not seeing; or that he might urge another to act in a way that was for his/her long-term harm & pain?' As he observes him, he comes to know, 'There are in this venerable one no such qualities based on greed... His bodily behavior & verbal behavior are those of one not greedy. And the Dhamma he teaches is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. This Dhamma can't easily be taught by a person who's greedy.

    When, on observing that the monk is purified with regard to qualities based on greed, he next observes him with regard to qualities based on aversion: 'Are there in this venerable one any such qualities based on aversion that, with his mind overcome by these qualities, he might say, "I know," while not knowing, or say, "I see," while not seeing; or that he might urge another to act in a way that was for his/her long-term harm & pain?' As he observes him, he comes to know, 'There are in this venerable one no such qualities based on aversion... His bodily behavior & verbal behavior are those of one not aversive. And the Dhamma he teaches is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. This Dhamma can't easily be taught by a person who's aversive.

    When, on observing that the monk is purified with regard to qualities based on aversion, he next observes him with regard to qualities based on delusion: 'Are there in this venerable one any such qualities based on delusion that, with his mind overcome by these qualities, he might say, "I know," while not knowing, or say, "I see," while not seeing; or that he might urge another to act in a way that was for his/her long-term harm & pain?' As he observes him, he comes to know, 'There are in this venerable one no such qualities based on delusion... His bodily behavior & verbal behavior are those of one not deluded. And the Dhamma he teaches is deep, hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise. This Dhamma can't easily be taught by a person who's deluded.

    When, on observing that the monk is purified with regard to qualities based on delusion, he places conviction in him. With the arising of conviction, he visits him & grows close to him. Growing close to him, he lends ear. Lending ear, he hears the Dhamma. Hearing the Dhamma, he remembers it. Remembering it, he penetrates the meaning of those dhammas. Penetrating the meaning, he comes to an agreement through pondering those dhammas. There being an agreement through pondering those dhammas, desire arises. With the arising of desire, he becomes willing. Willing, he contemplates (lit: "weighs," "compares"). Contemplating, he makes an exertion. Exerting himself, he both realizes the ultimate meaning of the truth with his body and sees by penetrating it with discernment.

    "To this extent, Bharadvaja, there is an awakening to the truth. To this extent one awakens to the truth. I describe this as an awakening to the truth. But it is not yet the final attainment of the truth.

    "Yes, Master Gotama, to this extent there is an awakening to the truth. To this extent one awakens to the truth. We regard this as an awakening to the truth. But to what extent is there the final attainment of the truth? To what extent does one finally attain the truth? We ask Master Gotama about the final attainment of the truth."

    "The cultivation, development, & pursuit of those very same qualities: to this extent, Bharadvaja, there is the final attainment of the truth. To this extent one finally attains the truth. I describe this as the final attainment of the truth."

    "Yes, Master Gotama, to this extent there is the final attainment of the truth. To this extent one finally attains the truth. We regard this as the final attainment of the truth. But what quality is most helpful for the final attainment of the truth? We ask Master Gotama about the quality most helpful for the final attainment of the truth."

    "Exertion is most helpful for the final attainment of the truth, Bharadvaja. If one didn't make an exertion, one wouldn't finally attain the truth. Because one makes an exertion, one finally attains the truth. Therefore, exertion is most helpful for the final attainment of the truth."

    "But what quality is most helpful for exertion? We ask Master Gotama about the quality most helpful for exertion."

    "Contemplating is most helpful for exertion, Bharadvaja. If one didn't contemplate, one wouldn't make an exertion. Because one contemplates, one makes an exertion. Therefore, contemplating is most helpful for exertion."

    "But what quality is most helpful for contemplating?..."

    "Being willing... If one weren't willing, one wouldn't contemplate..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for being willing?..."

    "Desire... If desire didn't arise, one wouldn't be willing..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for desire?..."

    "Coming to an agreement through pondering dhammas... If one didn't come to an agreement through pondering dhammas, desire wouldn't arise..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for coming to an agreement through pondering dhammas?..."

    "Penetrating the meaning... If one didn't penetrate the meaning, one wouldn't come to an agreement through pondering dhammas..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for penetrating the meaning?..."

    "Remembering the Dhamma... If one didn't remember the Dhamma, one wouldn't penetrate the meaning..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for remembering the Dhamma?... "

    "Hearing the Dhamma... If one didn't hear the Dhamma, one wouldn't remember the Dhamma..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for hearing the Dhamma?... "

    "Lending ear... If one didn't lend ear, one wouldn't hear the Dhamma..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for lending ear?... "

    "Growing close... If one didn't grow close, one wouldn't lend ear..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for growing close?... "

    "Visiting... If one didn't visit, one wouldn't grow close..."

    "But what quality is most helpful for visiting? We ask Master Gotama about the quality most helpful for visiting."

    "Conviction is most helpful for visiting, Bharadvaja. If conviction [in a person] didn't arise, one wouldn't visit [that person]. Because conviction arises, one visits. Therefore, conviction is most helpful for visiting."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipit...095x.than.html
    Last edited by Avatar; 09-11-07 at 04:43 PM.

  17. #37
    No idea if it's possible to be asexual, but I know that when you get married, you wind up becoming auto-sexual. =P

    - N

  18. #38
    asleep under the juniper bush whitewolf's Avatar
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom_Seeker View Post
    Well yes, but sex (passion, lust) is the lowest form of energy we humans experience; love is higher than sex, compassion is even higher than love. Someone who has experienced this, trascends sex.
    Sex is an expression of love. People have sex because they feel affection. People caress each other out of affection. Love is one of the basic needs and the vast majority of us learned to express love through caresses from the minute when we were born. Those who have sex without any bit of affection are considered abnormal. Compassion comes out of love. One cannot feel compassion while being indifferent or hateful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom_Seeker View Post
    Life is not below me, Im a manifestation of life, how can I be "above" it; Im just within it. But Im not speaking about trascending life, Im speaking about trascending sex transforming it into higher states of the same energy, like compassion.
    Sex is the way to give life to another being that will resemble you. When you say you transcend sex you mean you transcend giving life, and you stop making sense.

    There's no "above" or "below" in this, there are no hierarchies. Sex and compassion are actions while love is an emotion. You transcended sex like a nucleus transcended a cell.

  19. #39
    Speaker of my truth Wisdom_Seeker's Avatar
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    Sex is an expression of love. People have sex because they feel affection. People caress each other out of affection. Love is one of the basic needs and the vast majority of us learned to express love through caresses from the minute when we were born. Those who have sex without any bit of affection are considered abnormal. Compassion comes out of love. One cannot feel compassion while being indifferent or hateful.
    You`re right, sex is supposed to be an expression of love, but in current western society it has become something violent, dirty, and not loving at all. Ever since there are wifes, there are prostitutes as well as a consequence; and that has nothing to do with love, but with animalistic insticts and traditional repression.

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    Sex is the way to give life to another being that will resemble you. When you say you transcend sex you mean you transcend giving life, and you stop making sense.
    By giving life through sex means you are also giving death; to understand this is to fully live.
    I really dont want to have kids, does that mean I dont have a purpose for living? LOL, I dont believe that at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf View Post
    There's no "above" or "below" in this, there are no hierarchies. Sex and compassion are actions while love is an emotion. You transcended sex like a nucleus transcended a cell.
    What I mean when I say "above", is that you manifest it in a more conscient way. When you really understand your need and craving for sex from the very roots, you will have the possibility of trascendence.
    If you feel compassionate towards a person, you are not going to be thinking about sex; if you think about sex, you are not feeling compassion, but passion. It is the same energy on a pendulum, sometimes is in one side (passion) and sometimes is on the other side (compassio); normally we are not aware of this, so the "inner-pendulum" will go back and forth unsconsciously. But if you are aware of this, you are able to keep the "inner-pendulum" in one side only, and be all compassionate.
    It is all about awareness of your reactions towards external stimuli.

  20. #40
    Valued Senior Member
    Posts
    4,917
    I've honestly wondered how many people would go back if there were a drug that canceled your sex drive (assuming no negative side effects). Your only interest in others would be platonic. No desire, no frustration, no longing for companionship, or unrequited love that you know will always remain that way. Sexual desire has been nothing but a burden for 99% of my life; being free of it sounds wonderful to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. By clonep in forum Biology & Genetics
    Last Post: 03-09-07, 06:44 AM
    Replies: 5
  2. By Buddha1 in forum Biology & Genetics
    Last Post: 04-30-06, 06:08 AM
    Replies: 496

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •