Jury Duty??

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by shorty_37, Sep 7, 2007.

1. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I just got a letter in the mail today.....that they are considering me
    for jury duty. I had to answer a few questions and mail it back. I was going to ignore it, until I read the 5000.00 fine for doing so. Has anybody been picked out of the blue and had to sit in on a case? If so do they compensate you or what? I mean I would lose alot of money each day. Of course there is no mention of anything just I MUST REPLY within 5 days.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

They compensate you, but not that much - my roommate got 65 dollars for a two day trial. Also, your employer is legally prohibited from holding the absence against you (at least in Michigan).
    I suppose if you wanted to get out of it, you could give obviously bigoted answers - just pretend that you're Baron Max.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Deathfromabove Hopeless and Useless Registered Senior Member

Well in the UK, i know they compenstate you for travelling costs, i think that is it. but it might differ depending on why you live

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

lol we already made a plan for her to answer with racist answers.

Yeah Ontario is a joke for this. They don't pay($40/day cnd)until day 11. Considering this would ruin her home business, you'd think they'd let her off the hook. They can be pricks though.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Problem is I am self employed and I cannot afford to miss work.

and what he said above lol

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I sat on a jury in Australia earlier this year. I'm not sure how similar the system is, but here's how it works in Oz:

Jury duty is compulsory. You can be excused for various reasons, but work commitments generally aren't one of those reasons. You get paid as normal while you're on jury duty. The state pays a certain sum, and your employer has to make up the rest of your usual salary, so you shouldn't be out of pocket. Your employer legally cannot penalise you for doing jury duty, since it is a duty of all citizens imposed by the state.

I had to turn up to court and sit in a jury pool. Now and then, a random ballot is taken for potential jurors to go and sit on a case. But even if you're selected by ballot, that doesn't mean you'll end up on a jury, since the prosecution and defence can both challenge potential jurors. (From what I hear, the selection process in the US is much tougher - essentially the lawyers get lots of information about you and can decide whether they want you or not).

In my case, I managed to get excused from sitting on a jury for a murder trial, which would have taken a couple of months. But I ended up getting selected on a different case, involving armed robbery. That took 2 weeks.

I'd highly recommend the experience. It's an important civic duty, and you get to see how the system really works, rather than having to rely on CSI or Law and Order. And your decision can determine the course somebody's life takes, so it's really important.

10. Xev Registered Senior Member

If she can prove hardship, she can get off - again, MIchigan law here - but it's difficult since everyone claims that. If she absolutely has to (well it's up to her) I'd go with the racist thing.

I personally have always wanted to serve on a jury, but alas, I am not picked. Then again, they would probably reject the goth girl with black and teal hair, so....

Maybe you should dye your hair teal colored.

james r

She's self-employed.

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

im banned from jury duty.

peace.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Just saw your last post. If you're self employed and irreplaceable in your workplace, you can probably be excused from jury duty. At least, it would be an excuse in Australia...

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

SHIT I just thought of something.......maybe if I just show up with pink hair
    I won't even have to say a thing.........

I just had to XEV lolol

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Quite frankly James, they are potentially creating two new criminals here. It's an important civic duty for my ass.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

or you can say your racist and a complete anarchist.

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

ummmmmmm I wouldn't actually be lying all that much lolol

How the fuk can they say.......you can come for 10 days for nothing.
    After 10 days 40.00 a day.

And get this it says if you have small children it is up to you to make child care arrangements!

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

See my edit above.

Is there absolutely no way you could suspend your business for a few days? Because my roomate said that she was able to do normal work at night. I think if it really came down to the wire they'd let you off.

18. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Nope I have to work in the day.... Hey if i was a prostitute maybe the night thing would work lolol Plus I have kids that need to be taken to school and picked up.

Not to mention......I fuking HATE be summoned to do something for nothing forget
    about a LOSS of income.

19. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Did it once. The second time (that's second time - bastards!!

) they wrote to me I wrote back, explaining what an unutterably depressing experience my first time was, and begging to be excused... and they agreed! Heh.

Faceless lackeys of the machinery of global repression they may be, but they're not all bad.

20. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

My dad got summoned a few yrs ago. At the time my mother had cancer and was in really bad shape. He was driving her everyday to the hospital and waiting with her for hours. Anyway he explained this to them and they didn't really care. They actually said that he would have to find someone else to take her. He finally went to our Doctor and explained it.......she wrote up that he is really hard of hearing and that he wasn't in good shape he was 80 at the time. They finally let it go. I think they are PRICKS!! thats why I am so pissed off about the whole idea. Cause I have a feeling I am going to get FUCKED!!

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

What was the case about that was so depressing?

22. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Well, there were several, so it wasn't one particular case. It was all of them, plus the endless waiting around in-between, plus the fact that I was forced to make conversation with some hang-'em-flog-'em cunt of a stockbroker called Keith, plus..

It just made me feel dirty. I found it all pointless and depressing and I'd rather gnaw my own leg off than go through it again.

23. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Shit! they PICKED KEITH?